Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM

Default Wild Boar Trapping?

Has anyone ever tried it? I have heard of some being snared but uasually hear of them breaking out of snares. I watched American hoggers or something like that once and they built a pen/cage trap for them. Was thinking of making something up similar this summer in the off season.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
Has anyone ever tried it? I have heard of some being snared but uasually hear of them breaking out of snares. I watched American hoggers or something like that once and they built a pen/cage trap for them. Was thinking of making something up similar this summer in the off season.
I have snared a few as well as freinds have in the U.S. with the same wolf snares I use in B.C. None of em broke off , some were well over 200lbs. Lots strangled out , some were held. Others got ate by their buddies.We nailed some on trail cams to.

Last edited by proguide66; 05-28-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 PM

The Panther River trapper just shipped a bunch of his Wolf traps to Florida where they are using them on hogs.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:18 PM

A few guys my son rodeos with caught 12 wild boars this last winter, they made up a big "live trap". It seemed to work pretty good, alot of farmers in the area were pretty happy.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
A few guys my son rodeos with caught 12 wild boars this last winter, they made up a big "live trap". It seemed to work pretty good, alot of farmers in the area were pretty happy.
g

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 AM

Up around mayerthorpe you will see lots of Wild Boar traps. The guy who owns the wild boar hunting ranch traps them then puts them back into his pens. Heard from locals that he trapped over 40 of them last year up there .
Old 06-24-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
Up around mayerthorpe you will see lots of Wild Boar traps. The guy who owns the wild boar hunting ranch traps them then puts them back into his pens. Heard from locals that he trapped over 40 of them last year up there .
That is the same area where they trapped them, i have seen some of the carnage first hand on what these critters can do, it isnt nice.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Like to know a little more about them wild hogs are there any areas you can just hunt or are they just guided hunts . An are there any areas in southern Alberta i thought i heard there were some around strathmore any info would be great THKS