Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 06:04 PM

Thumbs up Government Workers Wage Rollback

So, I guess I’m one of the targeted people as a result of the government cutbacks or at least their proposal. Personally, it’s kinda a kick in the teeth since my cost of living has gone up exponentially since my last wage increase over a decade ago. Don’t get me wrong! I am blessed to be working! I’m not in a worse situation like others are experiencing.
By NO means am I a staunch Union person but taking away rights of people in this way is just wrong. There are contracts that were signed in good faith.
I know most think that if you work for the Govt, your overpaid. The disclosure list released for transparency contains anyone over $100k a year. Why not start at the top? Rather than the middle class that always seem to take the brunt.

It’s sad times for many in this once so proud and robust province. My thoughts are with you all who are struggling. I still have much to be thankful for.
FHD
Old 10-29-2019, 06:12 PM

Tough times and my heart goes out to you. But better to have wage rollbacks than layoffs is my opinion and books needed balanced.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:38 PM

Honestly here is a real unpopular opinion around here but I'll be the first to say it: most gov't workers are not overpaid to begin with. Only for real specific positions that only exist in gov't orgs and entry level/unskilled positions do government jobs ever really pay better than a comparable private sector job. Of course the robust benefits and pension come into play, which essentially levels it off, but still as you move up the ladder with experience and education, the private sector can be much, much more lucrative.

Some are definitely underworked at their position but they're still showing up for their shift, so in the end its not their fault they're doing little. Not being able to adjust a workforce on the turn of a dime like a private corp does when restructuring can tend to mean work disappears but the position continues to exist and a person still collects the paycheck for it. The hiring freezes do a good job of slowly moving these people either into retirement or allowing those into positions with actual work to do.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:42 PM

Lots of economists have talked about this but rollbacks usually don’t solve much in the big picture. More of a perception thing. Effort usually gets rolled back too and that’s no good.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:50 PM

OP, I feel for you, it's never nice to take a cut...but the reality is that all of us experienced the increases in cost of living, and pretty much everybody I know in the private sector has had to take major cuts in the last 4 years, both in wages/salary and in hours. And there is generally no pension or benefits to be had when you are self employed. Losing a couple points sucks...what about when business is down 65% since 2014, like mine? I'm making a living, but not getting ahead really at this point (not complaining, I have investments that have done well, that's a different topic).

Anyway, I feel your pain, but honestly you are just experiencing the pain of the private sector. Be thankful for work, it could be worse.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-29-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
OP, I feel for you, it's never nice to take a cut...but the reality is that all of us experienced the increases in cost of living, and pretty much everybody I know in the private sector has had to take major cuts in the last 4 years, both in wages/salary and in hours. And there is generally no pension or benefits to be had when you are self employed. Losing a couple points sucks...what about when business is down 65% since 2014, like mine? I'm making a living, but not getting ahead really at this point (not complaining, I have investments that have done well, that's a different topic).

Anyway, I feel your pain, but honestly you are just experiencing the pain of the private sector. Be thankful for work, it could be worse.
X2! I’m self employed and work in the service side of drilling. I’m making 60% less per job than I was in 2014. Need to work twice as hard to make half as much. The company I subcontract to would love to pay us more but to get the work they need to cut the bids big time. Living and paying the bills but not squirrelling away a ton
Old 10-29-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
...taking away rights of people in this way...
What exactly do you mean with this part?
Old 10-29-2019, 07:27 PM

Many years ago instead of having “workforce management” we had a 10% rollback...but labour laws require that you have “equivalent time off”. Since I was in service I was always busy so I banked an extra 22 days that year. I’m still seeing the benefits of that as I have typically 15-20 days of carry over to add to 23 days or regular vacation.

LC
Old 10-29-2019, 08:06 PM

I'm not in the public service, so forgive me, but honestly, your wage has remained unchanged for over a decade, as a government employee?!?
Old 10-29-2019, 08:07 PM
Banned

I heard Guy Smith on CHED last week stating that Alberta's economy is ROBUST and AUPE will fight these cuts...Yep..Alberta's economy is ROBUST ...Does this person have a shred of credibility??
Old 10-29-2019, 08:18 PM

It has been many years since I got a raise..... now a pay cut....
Docs... big raises consistently over the decade
Nurses ..... raises...

Teachers...... nope... zeros...for several years..... now this.

Fml man.

Plus all my kids are just entering university....... jus great.
Better dig out the tool belt for Xmas I guess. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Real tempting to get a gig at a private school.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-29-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm not in the public service, so forgive me, but honestly, your wage has remained unchanged for over a decade, as a government employee?!?
That’s not hard to believe. There have been salary freezes in place for several years.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
My son, in Agriculture hasn't had a raise in 5 years, management, so organized labor rules don't apply. Now they're talking job elimination.

Grizz
Old 10-29-2019, 08:26 PM

What I’m NOT cool with is the govt grabbing control of our pension fund.
Dismissing our fund managers..... just so they can direct the investment $$ upwards whatever project they want.
We were getting 9% returns.... these new clowns seem to be getting 2-3% ROI

Stupid man.

Also..... a signed contract is a signed contract..... they legislate violating a prev agreement??

Not cool. How bout rule of law kids?
Old 10-29-2019, 08:28 PM

How bout rule of law kids?

Government prerogative to change the law to suit themselves. Kinda like fixed election terms.

Grizz
Old 10-29-2019, 08:34 PM

I think if governments violate business contracts and essentially reneg..... that’s a huge problem for all business.

Are u actually laughing at my situation...? Cause that’s classy if you are.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
That’s not hard to believe. There have been salary freezes in place for several years.
I find it hard to believe.

A salary freeze for several years and zero wage change in over a decade are very different things. I'd bet very few government employees making $30/hr in 2007 are making $30/hr in 2019.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:45 PM

Not hard to look into.

And methinks you’ll only be satisfied if you see the data yourself.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I find it hard to believe.

A salary freeze for several years and zero wage change in over a decade are very different things. I'd bet very few government employees making $30/hr in 2007 are making $30/hr in 2019.
They have had CoL adjustments... I think 1-2% or something like that YoY. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Might depend on bargaining unit etc
Old 10-29-2019, 08:53 PM

I wish they would have offset the teacher wage drops with more teachers and smaller class sizes. Class sizes are insane these days as some are pushing 40!
Old 10-29-2019, 08:58 PM

I’ve had classes of 40.
It can be done.

Just honor the prev contract signed please.

Next round... if the money isn’t there.... then we take a hit. Thems the breaks.

But don’t reneg man. Not cool.

I love to unilaterally redefine how much I own on my mortgage..... that’d be fun eh?
Old 10-29-2019, 08:58 PM
Banned

Hey maybe now some provincial employees will feel the pain that the private guys do.

Isn't it like every 1% or 2% public sector raise equals 270,000,000 bucks that tax payers have to pick up.

Suck it up, tough times for all.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
They have had CoL adjustments... I think 1-2% or something like that YoY. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Might depend on bargaining unit etc
No cost of living increase in 5 years for myself anyway
Old 10-29-2019, 09:04 PM

Default Yea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Hey maybe now some provincial employees will feel the pain that the private guys do.

Isn't it like every 1% or 2% public sector raise equals 270,000,000 bucks that tax payers have to pick up.

Suck it up, tough times for all.
Cept..... prov employees don’t get the big crazy money during the boom times.... you guys do. Maybe it’s not as simple as you see it.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Cept..... prov employees don’t get the big crazy money during the boom times.... you guys do. Maybe it’s not as simple as you see it.
True.
Admittedly I chose a career with the understanding I'm trading the boom for stability. Not making big bucks but there will never be an end to the work.

The economy has been hurting I'm not blind to this. Its gonna be tighter times, no whining just cinching down a little tighter on my end.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Yep it is all a tradeoff. No extra OT or hours or bonuses available to gov't employees during boom times (with some exceptions). Yet during boom times things tend to get more expensive overall (especially housing). How fair is it then?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Not everyone in the private sector has a pension plan either. Two ways to look at it. Make less but have your retirement is better. My wife's pension will fall under the teachers plan. It seems like a decent plan to have.

Pay freeze effects my wife as well. But she has a job.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:19 PM

I didn’t get into this gig to get rich....
I’ll take my lumps.... ok.

I just wanna pay off my mortgage n raise my kids.

It’s a little hard to do that due to the COL chewing away my buying power..... now a 2-5% cut.

But of a kick in the pills since we didn’t fight zeros over the years ... to ‘take one for the team’...... stupid idea I guess.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Ya but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Not everyone in the private sector has a pension plan either. Two ways to look at it. Make less but have your retirement is better. My wife's pension will fall under the teachers plan. It seems like a decent plan to have.

Pay freeze effects my wife as well. But she has a job.
Gubment just grabbed control of my pension too!!!

That’s a bit of a worry..... pretty funny if the squander that so I gots nothing .

And that pension is simply a ‘forced’ savings plan.... it’s my money that goes into it....
Old 10-29-2019, 09:24 PM

Good news is your pension is with AIMCo, not exactly some shadetree org. They're pretty darn independent from the govt as far as crown corps go. Shady move though letting the pension plans find out through the budget.

Not exactly operating in any sort of good faith. I knew Kenney was slimy but jeez the guy doesn't even try to hide it.