Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2015, 11:39 AM

Default Finally!

Somebody separates the bull crap from the buckwheat.

http://www.flyfishthesouth.com/?p=581#!prettyPhoto

You're welcome,

Don
Old 03-22-2015, 12:27 PM

Good one. I have a 9.5 ft Daiwa 5 wt I use for stillwater I think is my best caster. Always felt a little weird when people asked what I was using. I have a bunch of " top of the line" rods also but the Daiwa is the only one to throw the whole line. I never buy by someone's review.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Somebody separates the bull crap from the buckwheat.

http://www.flyfishthesouth.com/?p=581#!prettyPhoto

You're welcome,

Don
Excellent post Don. Should be made into a sticky.

The fly-rod "picks you".

The same is for shotguns.

Dogs? not sure.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:34 PM

Smile

Best, and most honest post on what rod to get. I couldn't agree more. After building and casting hundreds of rods I have a few that "to me" feel great. I know others would argue until they are blue in the face that "this rod" or "that rod" is the only one to buy. Usually it is the most expensive rod that is sold today. But if they would only try out the rods they would find one that suits them.

I agree with Greylynx, this should be put into a sticky. The subject gets posted over and over again with the same results. About 100 different opinions get posted and the person goes away more puzzled than when they started.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:34 PM

Several years ago I built five 7'9" bamboorods, all for 5 weight of five different tapers. All of the rods cast different. Some spoke to me, some spoke to others. All found good homes. The point is they all looked the same but the evidence was in the casting.

Don
Old 03-22-2015, 06:21 PM

Love it! Thanks for posting Don
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM

Don great post. So right.

Tight Lines Always
Dennis S
Old 03-23-2015, 10:02 AM

So can we assume that every intelligent fly fisher in Rocky Mountain House is fishing what ever the local Canadian Tire is carrying?

I find it interesting that the blogger linked just "so happened" to have the three most popular, highly marketed, most talked about and most expensive mass produced rods available out for a stroll in the parking lot.

I wonder what brought him to this place in time?

The internet opens up a world of fly fishing equipment to everyone. I had never even laid eyes on my two favorite rods (Hardy Zenith and Sage ZXL) before ordering them on line and would have never had the opportunity to cast them. Reading reviews, blogs and internet forums I was able to get a feel for the rods and they were exactly what I expected and more.

I had discarded the Sage One as a rod I would not enjoy after reading on line even though I am a huge Sage fan. When I finally got a chance to fish One, it was exactly as I had been lead to believe. An excellent rod but too fast and technical for my abilities.

After reading reviews on the Loop Opti Stream, I ordered the rod for my son. Another home run as this rod is a beautiful thing to fish and everything the rave reviews had promised.

You can easily figure out on this forum and others which poster's advice is relevant to you and which should be discarded. Many have agendas, but that certainly does not mean their advice is wrong. Many are just wrong but write it up so nicely it appears relevant.

Fly fishing is a business and without that business we would all be fishing with sticks and bottle corks. Top name manufacturers employ the some of the best designers in the industry. Their designs are scrutinized by the best casters in the industry and their success or failure is based on performance and reliability. There is no where to hide when anyone with a key board can gain access to so many opinions on your product.

Wiggle all the rods you like or even parking lot cast a few if you think that in any way is going to determine how a rod will perform under different circumstances, throwing different bugs to different critters. I will continue to read fly fishing forums/blogs to see how these things are performing in the hands of fishermen throughout the world.

It has been my experience that successful fly shops seek out what they believe to be the best performing rods and market that product. They do not risk their reputation selling inferior products for short term gain. They do this because fly fisherman find good fly rods. I have yet to see a fly rod find a fisherman although it does look so cool in written word.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Lots of truth in that blog...My favorite rod is the one I paid the least amount of money for. I have an expensive Sage that rarely leaves the house. I was sold by marketing when I bought that one.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:12 PM

Mk2750,

The scary parts are:

1) Ff is a business and business will do whatever they can to separate you from your money
2) all electronic voices weigh the same. Unless you know who is providing the advice, one should be a tad leery.
3) the Internet had a herd instinct. I've been suckered by it. I would imagine others have as well. If the herd is going one way, you best take a 90 degree turn.

As far as rods, use what appeals to ya.

Don
Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Wiggle all the rods you like or even parking lot cast a few if you think that in any way is going to determine how a rod will perform under different circumstances, throwing different bugs to different critters. I will continue to read fly fishing forums/blogs to see how these things are performing in the hands of fishermen throughout the world.
You seem to be suggesting that there is an objective standard for "best rod" that applies to all fishermen, who all cast the same. That is not my experience.

And to read technical reviews and blogs and know what might suit you, you must start with a very detailed knowledge of your own casting style and ability such that you could list off the rod attributes that best suit you. Few beginning or even intermediate casters have that, at least without casting a lot of different rods in the past.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:28 PM

So easy to get people to chase a brand or model just by hyping it up this is the case with almost anything.

Too many are wanting to go hey look at mine it is better than your. This is what makes it so easy to manipulate the public into buying a product.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Banned

MK2750:

How did us fly fisherman ever make it before the mid 70's and 80's?

Deja Vu. Company's are selling glass rods again. And those glass rods are not being target marketed towards us geezers.

And look at the other stuff being put on the table. Spey, Cross rods, Tenkara.

Mind you, I do have to try Tenkara.....at low cost.

People do not need expensive equipment to go flyfishing. Today, with the high cost of living, they just need the time.....

Last edited by greylynx; 03-23-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 AM

The linked blog basically says you should not take advice from anyone regarding fly rods. This is ridiculous and the blogger is just blowing hot air. What should a new guy do, look for his favorite color? Do you guys truly believe that wiggling a rod or parking lot casting gives any indication of how a rod will fish?

I don't own the latest and greatest, as I mentioned in my post and I never once suggested that one rod is best for all. I also never suggested that you need to buy the most expensive although the blogger just "so happens" to have three of the most expensive rods out for a test run. I suggested that by reading forums and blogs you can get a really good idea of what is working for others.

I wanted a nice 8'6" 4wt. for small dry fly fishing. I google searched small water rods and 4wts. Although not the flavour of the day, it seemed many really enjoyed the Sage ZXL. Because the rod was discontinued I was able to find it for a great deal, again by following the advice of the internet.

The same could be said for my Hardy Zenith that I picked up for less than half price on a US site. It of course enjoyed rave reviews and deservedly so.

If you do your research, you will find just as many flops as you do well rated rods even though they are well advertised. Sage One for example did not receive the reviews the company had hoped for and certainly nothing compared to it's predecessor Z-Axis (which I also scored used on this site for less than half price in minty condition just last year).

The three rods mentioned in the blog (Radium, NRX, and One) are high performance rods that 90% of us could never reap the full benefits of. They were never intended for hucking thingamablobbers into the Bow with a couple of weighted nymphs tethered to the bottom.

If you are a bobber fisherman, do your research and see what the experts suggest for that application. If you are a beginner, search that...this isn't rocket science.

The stores here in central Alberta do not allow you to try the rods and carry only a couple of brands. Basically you can do without, take a guess, or read what the bloggers/forum members have to say by searching on line.

If you folks don't want to offer or receive advice on equipment that is your decision. Make Don's post a sticky and you can copy and paste a smart remark whenever a new fly fisherman asks what rod or reel he should buy.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
MK2750:

How did us fly fisherman ever make it before the mid 70's and 80's?

Deja Vu. Company's are selling glass rods again. And those glass rods are not being target marketed towards us geezers.

And look at the other stuff being put on the table. Spey, Cross rods, Tenkara.

Mind you, I do have to try Tenkara.....at low cost.

People do not need expensive equipment to go flyfishing. Today, with the high cost of living, they just need the time.....
I've never heard of a cross rod and it's difficult to google, what are they?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM

I suspect he might be referring to switch rods, which are sort of a cross type. Grey's gettin' on you know. He calls his old car a jalopy.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMcgillicuddy View Post
I've never heard of a cross rod and it's difficult to google, what are they?
Sounds like DocMcgillicuddy found something he may need to buy!