Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2015, 04:02 PM

Default will whites and trout share a hole?

I dont get the fly rod out much but this year im gonna try and spend more time on the bow. My question is will whites and trout share a hole or a run.

Ive hit the same run 3 times in the past week and have only pulled whites out of it.
Had 18 hook ups and landed 4whites saw 3 others as they released at distance. If I keep hitting that hole will I ever pull out a trout or will whites continue to occupy it.
im sure one long distance release was a trout as it peeled off about 60 feet of line before releasing himself.

All have been while dragging worms. Would changing patterns trigger another species?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
I dont get the fly rod out much but this year im gonna try and spend more time on the bow. My question is will whites and trout share a hole or a run.

Ive hit the same run 3 times in the past week and have only pulled whites out of it.
Had 18 hook ups and landed 4whites saw 3 others as they released at distance. If I keep hitting that hole will I ever pull out a trout or will whites continue to occupy it.
im sure one long distance release was a trout as it peeled off about 60 feet of line before releasing himself.

All have been while dragging worms. Would changing patterns trigger another species?

Thanks
Bigger worms, size 4-6 are a good way of avoiding whites.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:56 PM

just plain dead drifting worms/nymphs is working? I tried nymphing worms the other day on a run, didnt catch nothin' but lost some flies. Probably just bad luck, went to the wrong run, gonna try a pool next time. Hope to head out soon, the weather's been great for fishing recently. Has anyone seen any rises/hatches in this great weather?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:09 PM

There were a ton of water boatmen in the river where I was today as well as some small brown flies on top.

Ive mixed it up a bit and have only had luck with worms. still having fun catching the whites just wondering if I have to move to snag a trout.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:17 PM

Try a larger streamer to see if there are any trout eating the whites that hang out in that hole
Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 PM

How would I throw that. Ive only ever nymphed with the fly rod
Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 PM

Streamer fly sort leader fast sink line swing it or strip it in
Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 PM

Trout are still being lethargic and out weather pattern is not helping. Takes from trout are very light, unlike the takes you would get in august. White fish are more active than trout in the colder water as well which is why you catch more of em.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:45 AM

Try shortening your leader a bit. Get the nymphs up off the bottom a bit. By a bit I mean 2 to 3 inches. Whites spend most of there time rooting around on the bottom looking for nymphs. Trout however are not designed to eat off the bottom. Trout are designed to see up and directly in front so if the nymphs are bouncing right on the bottom well that's where you'll catch the whites not the trout. Try a bit higher and yes I have caught lots of trout and whites out of the same hole
Old 03-20-2015, 11:46 AM

Default So the answer would be...yes :)

Great posts and replies above.

So the obvious answer is yes, whites and trout will share the same holes, especially in the winter. Overwintering habitat -usually wide and the deepest pools - can be very few and far between on rivers. All species of trout and whites have such slim pickings that they're forced into relatively confined spaces. Also depends on the severity of the cold and the build up of ice, not only just on top, but also along the bottom of the river. I think its called anchor ice or frazil ice.

You got some very good advice there in terms of trying to "weed through" the whitefish to adjust techniques to get more trout on the line. Of course, this would also include predators like bull trout.

Smitty
Old 03-20-2015, 01:44 PM

Yes, as stated, both will be there however a trout may not tolerate repeated disturbance caused by hooking whites. Or a bigger trout might just have one for lunch.

Bow River buggers, muddler minnows, large stone fly nymphs, etc. will attract fewer whites and more trout. Dead drift or swing, often fast strips won't work till it warms up.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:15 PM

Thanks fellas. Iwill try shortening my leader. I previously read to catch on the bow you have to be dragging bottom so thats where my gear has been set.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post

Thanks
I would stick with a worm for the top hook, but probably something like a zebra midge or copper john on the bottom. Or my other go-to is a small stonefly on the top and disco midge on the bottom. Whites really seem to like red.