Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 10:51 AM

Default Hiding rust on rockers

My 03 silverado is white so rust is very visible,One spot on the cab corner rocker is pretty bad.Thought about cutting a chunk out from a another truck and welding it in.Too much work as the box is in the way.

Could just grind it all clean and cover with bondo then spray with white rock guard. I dont know how long it would last though?

I know its lipstick on a pig.
Can you even buy white rock guard in a spray can?
Old 08-11-2022, 11:18 AM

Looks like you can get custom colors: https://linercoatings.ca/raptor-line...-6oz-9oz-12oz/
Old 08-11-2022, 11:26 AM

Grind rust smooth, fill in with fiberglass mixed body filler. Sand smooth, prime, paint white. Go get that stainless trim put on the lower portion. It will hide the repair better than rock guard. Rock guard will be cheaper but the rust will bleed through it eventually too or your patch falls apart from the inside out.

Either way your spending good money on a temp fix at best. Save it for something else and just ignore the rust. I was a body man and my 04 F250 is starting to do the same. Even though some days I think I am going to give it a quickie splash, I know it's not worth it for me to spend the time & money to patch it up. The driveline is strong and that's what matters now.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Grind rust smooth, fill in with fiberglass mixed body filler. Sand smooth, prime, paint white. Go get that stainless trim put on the lower portion. It will hide the repair better than rock guard. Rock guard will be cheaper but the rust will bleed through it eventually too or your patch falls apart from the inside out.

Either way your spending good money on a temp fix at best. Save it for something else and just ignore the rust. I was a body man and my 04 F250 is starting to do the same. Even though some days I think I am going to give it a quickie splash, I know it's not worth it for me to spend the time & money to patch it up. The driveline is strong and that's what matters now.
Ya if truck wasn't white wouldn't be a deal.Looking for cheapest way.I dont mind sanding some filler.Fibreglass bondo you say? Ill go look.
thx.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:50 AM

KMS Tool has fibreglass bondo
Old 08-11-2022, 12:51 PM

I see Rockauto has slip on rockers.Looks like an easier fix.Not too bad at about $100 each. Any experience with these?
Old 08-11-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I see Rockauto has slip on rockers.Looks like an easier fix.Not too bad at about $100 each. Any experience with these?
If your looking to hide the rust for a sale then they will work fine. If you plan on hanging on to the vehicle then no . Thers no quick easy cheap fix for what you have going on , line x is a waste of money as the rust will come through after its first winter . If you plan on keeping the truck pull the fenders , doors , box and start cutting and welding , easier than you think. Did my welding rig a couple years ago and it still looks like new.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Ya if truck wasn't white wouldn't be a deal.Looking for cheapest way.I dont mind sanding some filler.Fibreglass bondo you say? Ill go look.
thx.
Any body shop supply like Napa will carry it as well.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning74 View Post
If your looking to hide the rust for a sale then they will work fine. If you plan on hanging on to the vehicle then no . Thers no quick easy cheap fix for what you have going on , line x is a waste of money as the rust will come through after its first winter . If you plan on keeping the truck pull the fenders , doors , box and start cutting and welding , easier than you think. Did my welding rig a couple years ago and it still looks like new.
Well Im not sure what really is a "slip on rocker"?
Assuming ill have to cut and weld in or do they go over top?

Found some really bad videos so far,ill keep looking.

Seams like the most economical way.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:06 PM
Banned

Rust never sleeps.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Well Im not sure what really is a "slip on rocker"?
Assuming ill have to cut and weld in or do they go over top?

Found some really bad videos so far,ill keep looking.

Seams like the most economical way.
Yes they just go over the top of the rusty rocker. Basically from the fender line to the cab corner .
Old 08-11-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Rust never sleeps.
This, been fighting it on my Ford for years and it's a losing battle, tons of badly rusted vehicles out there. My conclusion is that with the complex shapes being stamped these days they need to use alloys that are prone to rusting. They want you to keep buying new vehicles anyway.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 08-12-2022, 10:16 AM

My wifes 2001 Grand Cherokee went 20 years and 400km with no rust. It had plastic quarter panels. Now her new Cherokee has only metal, Chrysler/Jeep found vehicles last to long if done right and they sell less vehicles.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:03 AM

If you want the fix to last, cut it out and replace with new metal. Sometimes easier and cheaper to get a whole new after market piece and paint it. If you just want to camouflage it, paint a stripe along the rockers down in black with rock guard, doesn't solve the problem but much harder to see with black.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:48 PM

I wouldn't get too carried away with it. The truck is an 03. You can do a quicker and cheaper repair that will survive just fine along with the life span of the rest of the body. Unless of course the rest of the truck is in pristine condition.

I have a 2014 that's already bubbling over the rear wheel wells.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2022, 09:54 AM

After a closer inspection there pretty bad,Id need $200 worth of bondo lol.
For now Ill just keep driving it and see if its worth the fix.
After watching a few videos seems the cheaper slip on replacement ones dont just slip on lol.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:08 AM

A $12 can of Rock Guard from Canadian tire makes my 2001 Ram look like new.