Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 09:10 AM

Default Hockey IIHF World Juniors starts August 9 in Edmonton… lots of tickets available

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...on-hockey-fans

It says even tickets for the gold medal game is available. Albeit ticket prices are high. https://tickets-center.com/search/Ro...BoCLecQAvD_BwE

Let’s keep this thread just about the games and play and not about the politics or any hate on for the process or gulp… ticket prices. Please don’t use this thread to discuss politics or Ukraine war, Russia or Hockey Canada problems or lawsuits etc.

I’m hoping for a solid effort by Canada. Im hoping for a gold medal.

Games start tomorrow. Here is the schedule link.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm20/schedule
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-08-2022, 09:22 AM

Lost interest in this because of all the politics, go Canada go

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2022, 10:41 AM

Why would you support an organization that has a history of covering up rape and sexual abuse. Have to draw the line at some point and let your voice be heard by not giving money to these people. Taking money from a slush fund to pay off victims so some future nhl player goes on care free in life is not something to support.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Lost interest in this because of all the politics, go Canada go

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Why would you support an organization that has a history of covering up rape and sexual abuse. Have to draw the line at some point and let your voice be heard by not giving money to these people. Taking money from a slush fund to pay off victims so some future nhl player goes on care free in life is not something to support.
This is why!

BW
Old 08-08-2022, 11:12 AM

I purchased a package worth $2k for this event three years ago. After two cancellations due to the vid I took the refund. Summer hockey just seems weird to me. Must be like going to games in Florida in January.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:28 AM

What was said above. Plus Russkies aren’t playing… Makes it all pretty meh, at best, imo.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

It will be a below average tourney, what I mean by that is the top dogs are not there but I do hope the best for our guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-08-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
IIHF is the tournament organizer. Not Hockey Canada.

Please folks. Let’s keep this thread about the hockey play only.

Thanks kindly.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-08-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
It will be a below average tourney, what I mean by that is the top dogs are not there but I do hope the best for our guys!

I’m hoping the play is still there. Not sure how many players are missing from New Years.

Fingers crossed. Would be a treat to see some good hockey.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:17 PM

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-announces-...831670?tsn-amp

Canada announces roster for 2022 World Junior Championship
TSN.ca Staff

The IIHF is 'committed to deliver' the World Juniors in Edmonton in August

Hockey Canada announced its 25-player roster for the 2022 World Junior Championship on Monday, to be played in Edmonton, Alta. from Aug. 9- Aug. 20.

The annual tournament, initially scheduled to take place from Dec. 26, 2021- Jan. 5, 2022 in Edmonton and Red Deer, Alta., was cancelled after just three days due to a rise of COVID-19 Omicron variant cases amongst the 10 participating teams.

There will be some changes from the previous roster announced in December. Missing from the roster are forwards Xavier Bourgault, Mavrik Bourque, Dylan Guenther, Jake Neighbours, Cole Perfetti, Justin Sourdif, Shane Wright, and defencemen Kaiden Guhle, and Owen Power.

Replacing those players will be forwards William Dufour, Joshua Roy, Tyson Foerster, Riley Kidney, Nathan Gaucher, Brennan Othmann, Zack Ostapchuk, and defencemen Daemon Hunt, and Jack Thompson.

Highlighting Canada's roster will be 17-year-old phenom Connor Bedard, Columbus Blue Jackets forward Kent Johnson, and Anaheim Ducks prospect Mason McTavish.

Prior to the cancellation in December, Canadian fans were treated to a four-goal performance by a then 16-year-old Bedard against Austria, becoming only the sixth player to score four goals in a World Juniors game. McTavish dominated the first two games of the tournament scoring three goals and five points in two games, while Johnson also scored a goal in two games.

Canada will be a part of Group A which also consists of Slovakia, Finland, Czechia, and Latvia. Group B will include the United States, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, and Austria.

Russia was not invited to the tournament due to the ongoing war in the Ukraine and was replaced with Latvia.

You can watch all of Canada's games on TSN or stream on TSN.ca and the TSN App.

2022 WORLD JUNIORS TEAM CANADA ROSTER
Name Ht. Wt. Team
GOALTENDERS
Sebastian Cossa 6'6" 215 Edmonton (WHL)
Brett Brochu 6’0” 176 London (OHL)
Dylan Garand 6’1” 181 Kamloops (WHL)
DEFENCE
Ethan Del Mastro 6’4” 209 Mississauga (OHL)
Olen Zellweger 5’10” 175 Everett (WHL)
Carson Lambos 6’1” 197 Winnipeg (WHL)
Lukas Cormier 5’10” 176 Charlottetown (QMJHL)
Donovan Sebrango 6’2” 195 Grand Rapids (AHL)
Ronan Seeley 6’1” 192 Everett (WHL)
Jack Thompson 6’1” 185 Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
Ryan O'Rourke 6'0" 174 Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
FORWARDS
Joshua Roy 6’0' 191 Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
Logan Stankoven 5’8” 170 Kamloops (WHL)
Tyson Foerster 6’1” 202 Barrie (OHL)
Riley Kidney 5’11” 173 A-Bathurst (QMJHL)
Kent Johnson 6’1” 165 Columbus (NHL)
Nathan Gaucher 6’3” 207 Quebec (QMJHL)
Brennan Othmann 6’0” 180 Flint (OHL)
Connor Bedard 5’9” 181 Regina (WHL)
Ridly Greig 6’0” 172 Brandon (WHL)
William Dufour 6’3” 205 Saint John (QMJHL)
Elliot Desnoyers 5’11” 172 Halifax (QMJHL)
Zack Ostapchuk 6’3” 198 Vancouver (WHL)
Will Cuylle 6'4" 210 Windsor (OHL)
Mason McTavish 6’1” 207 Hamilton (OHL)
Old 08-08-2022, 04:07 PM

That Bedard kid is entertaining for sure, now the spot light will be on him but I am sure he is use to it.
Go

Old 08-08-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
IIHF is the tournament organizer. Not Hockey Canada.

Please folks. Let’s keep this thread about the hockey play only.

Thanks kindly.
That...and I will "kinda" stick to hockey...mostly...

Yep, some bad publicity prior to the tourney, of alleged accusations and alleged coverups years ago... I get it.

Having said that, I absolutely do not agree with the predators (coaches or otherwise) that screwed up kid's lives for ever. Is Canada the only country experiencing this "issue"? Doubt it. But this is what we hear about.

Hope our boys do well, hope the venue fills up to support our future young NHL stars...They earned it.

Go Canada!...
Old 08-08-2022, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...on-hockey-fans

It says even tickets for the gold medal game is available. Albeit ticket prices are high. https://tickets-center.com/search/Ro...BoCLecQAvD_BwE

Let’s keep this thread just about the games and play and not about the politics or any hate on for the process or gulp… ticket prices. Please don’t use this thread to discuss politics or Ukraine war, Russia or Hockey Canada problems or lawsuits etc.

I’m hoping for a solid effort by Canada. Im hoping for a gold medal.

Games start tomorrow. Here is the schedule link.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm20/schedule
With all due respect SF...you're asking to ignore the elephant in the room and continue on!
Old 08-08-2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
With all due respect SF...you're asking to ignore the elephant in the room and continue on!
Yep hard no from me as well I won’t even turn on the TV not to mention paying for overpriced tickets.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That Bedard kid is entertaining for sure, now the spot light will be on him but I am sure he is use to it.
Go

Haven’t seen his play yet. Will be interesting to see how a 17 year old does.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:43 AM

Canada won our first game. Looked rusty. Some bugs to still work out for sure.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:09 PM
Banned

Old 08-11-2022, 05:29 PM

I’m torn. I’m a fan of the sport. I’m a fan of the level these kids play at. I enjoy seeing tomorrow’s stars today.

At the same time, I’m glad this has come to light. It’s gotta change from the top down. The rot is to the very core. Yet, is it fair to those kids twirling on the ice this year. This is their dream too.

Fair is not always equal.

Hold the politicians feet to the fire.

Needs to be a woman at the top. A mom. My vote goes to Hayley Wickenheiser, but I’d also support Cassie Campbell. At least that would get her off TV.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:32 PM

But, it’s a fan’s right to vote with their $$$.

I won’t be purchasing a ticket.

I would love to as a fan, but I won’t as a Dad. Hockey Canada needs to realize parents literally trust them with their kids to get this right. They take kids away at 15 years old to mould them into stars. That’s a huge responsibility, which they defaulted on long ago.

Gotta be complete change at the top before I would buy a ticket.

But, I also won’t judge someone who feels differently.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:44 PM

plain and simple its the middle of summer after two years of covid and nobody really cares about hockey at this time of the year.ITs just me but the scandal at the top really has no bearing on attendance.If it was the usual boxing day get together with family and friends there would be a ton of interest.I dont care about hockey Canada when it comes to the world juniors as Im only interested in future stars giving it their all for their country.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:45 PM

Please people keep the politics out of the thread.

Todays game was a blow out. 11-1. First period started slow. Passing looks better. Still too many giveaways for me.

But start of the tourney it was a good effort.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:10 AM

Looks like you don't have to fight for tickets.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:51 PM

Looks like Anaheim has a winner in McTavish. The guy has 8 pts in 2 games, 3 more than second. Tied Canadian record for most goals in a game. Peter Forsburg has the most points for a tournament at 31. He's 26% of the way there.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:41 PM
Banned

Why you would hold a Hockey tournament in Canada in the middle of Summer is beyond me. I don't think this has anything to do with politics and more so with people having other things to do. It's lake season, guys are out camping and fishing or getting ready for hunting season. They should have just delayed the tournament until next Christmas and it would be a sell out.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Why you would hold a Hockey tournament in Canada in the middle of Summer is beyond me.
Because if they hold it any other time, Oct., Nov., Dec., etc., it affects every single player and coaches season. Even if they did decided to disrupt everyone's season, I suspect they didn't like the idea of the 2022 tournament in November and the 2023 tournament starting in December.

So it was likely summer or not at all. I don't mind the idea of being in a rink when it's 29C outside, not to big a fan of paying $400 for me and another to attend though.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Looks like Anaheim has a winner in McTavish. The guy has 8 pts in 2 games, 3 more than second. Tied Canadian record for most goals in a game. Peter Forsburg has the most points for a tournament at 31. He's 26% of the way there.
He is on fire.

Better performance in yesterday’s game against Czech except for the first goal against.

They come out slow in the first… lay it on thick on the second… somewhat coast in the third.

Still lots of room to improve.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Why you would hold a Hockey tournament in Canada in the middle of Summer is beyond me. I don't think this has anything to do with politics and more so with people having other things to do. It's lake season, guys are out camping and fishing or getting ready for hunting season. They should have just delayed the tournament until next Christmas and it would be a sell out.

Given what they were up against with cancellations etc just push through and get it done when you can.
This one will be one for the books of a cluster due to Covid etc.
Still decent hockey but I do agree if it was the normal tourney she would be packed as usual.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:21 PM

Best game so far not including the first 5 minutes and a bad run of penalties in the third.

Next game against Switzerland should be an easy win.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:39 PM

At this age group you get one shift on par to three brain farts which makes it so fun to watch.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:27 PM

Thumbs up

Let’s get’em boyzzzz

Put the smack down and go for gold!

Dam if I lived in Edmonton my Butt would be in the stands

My sons is and he got the tickets today

Gotta like just buy and go!

Plus it’s hot outside why not sit in shorts at a game of this caliber.

Last edited by 58thecat; 08-17-2022 at 05:33 PM.