Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2022, 02:01 PM

Default Dam 1997 Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator bit the bullet today

Need a new fridge. Anyone sleuth out all the options lately to help point me in the right direction of a new one?

Gap is 37 inch wide X 72.5 inch high X 28-34 inch deep
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-04-2022, 02:48 PM

Some of the scratch and dent places aren't too bad. I got my last one from the back area of my local Leons for a huge discount. Works great.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:20 PM

Buddy bought a new one only to find out wouldn't fit through his doorway.Had to buy a smaller more expensive cabinet depth one.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Some of the scratch and dent places aren't too bad. I got my last one from the back area of my local Leons for a huge discount. Works great.
Saw one with a nasty scratch across the front. I’m not one to normally care but this one was nasty.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-04-2022, 04:43 PM

Supply seems to be coming back. Our main fridge died in march so we moved the basement fridge up for regular duty because it was 4-8month wait if you wanted anything specific. Now that there actually seems to be stock at some of the appliance and furniture stores we'll look to replace it. Although I'm guessing getting any discount will be a tough go.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Supply seems to be coming back. Our main fridge died in march so we moved the basement fridge up for regular duty because it was 4-8month wait if you wanted anything specific. Now that there actually seems to be stock at some of the appliance and furniture stores we'll look to replace it. Although I'm guessing getting any discount will be a tough go.
My work today says prices are way way up.

A cheap 36 inch fridge is just under $2000. With an ice maker they are $2250 and up.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
My work today says prices are way way up.

A cheap 36 inch fridge is just under $2000. With an ice maker they are $2250 and up.
Also lots of models showing Sept/ Oct delivery dates and disclaimers stating delivery may be later.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:49 PM

Anything but Samsung..... and I own one. I ordered an aftermarket ice machine to fix my ice issue and saved a hundred bucks. It has been ok of late.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:51 PM

Stay away from Samsung. I have one and it’s junk
Old 08-04-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Stay away from Samsung. I have one and it’s junk
My repair guy said they are all the same.

Ended up buying one with a small dent as it took $1000 off. Used the savings and got the 5 year extended warranty.

We are dammed if we do and dammed if we don’t these days with fridges. They are not made to last the 25 years of my last one.

Still… the reviews were pretty good for this one. All the ice and water dispensers across makes and models are a pain. I got one anyways. Maybe back to ice trays after this one.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:54 PM

I'd tell you to go get a commercial fridge, but I'd think they're too high.

There's a guy on kijiji that says that he can cheaply repair any fridge. Maybe that's worth a look.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:57 PM

Looks like I'll keep my 42 year old fridge for another 10 years, maybe more. Those ice trays never break down.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Looks like I'll keep my 42 year old fridge for another 10 years, maybe more. Those ice trays never break down.
My neighbor has an old Viking chest deep freeze in his basement. Still works. He has tried to give it away numerous times but the weight of it dissuades even cheap skates when they try and get it out. Viking was the Eaton's house brand, so figure out how old that is.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-04-2022, 09:08 PM

My last couple have been counter depth. They just look better being mostly flush with counters. No brand loyalty/suggestions.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
My neighbor has an old Viking chest deep freeze in his basement. Still works. He has tried to give it away numerous times but the weight of it dissuades even cheap skates when they try and get it out. Viking was the Eaton's house brand, so figure out how old that is.
Bought my Viking small chest freezer 43 years ago from Eatons after my first successful deer hunt.Zero problems or repairs
But just recently purchased 3rd fridge in 8 years

Last edited by omega50; 08-04-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I'd tell you to go get a commercial fridge, but I'd think they're too high.

There's a guy on kijiji that says that he can cheaply repair any fridge. Maybe that's worth a look.
Maybe he wants my old one.

A saw a commercial fridge that was wider and cheaper that the smaller fridge
Old 08-04-2022, 10:05 PM

I put a cheap ikea fridge in a rental suite I had. After 10 years, the $600 fridge was still working perfectly and the renter always said that the ice machine was the best one he had ever seen.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:57 AM

On the fun side we are now camping in the house for a week. Living out of coolers.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:13 PM

The fridge repair guy's number is 587-894-4977
Old 08-05-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Need a new fridge. Anyone sleuth out all the options lately to help point me in the right direction of a new one?

Gap is 37 inch wide X 72.5 inch high X 28-34 inch deep
25 years on a Kenmore? Excellent!

Got about the same on a Kenmore washer/dryer. Don't make them like they used to. Replaced with a HD Maytag...all good.

Replaced the fridge/stove/dishwasher about 3 years ago with a LG...very satisfied...
Old 08-05-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
25 years on a Kenmore? Excellent!

Got about the same on a Kenmore washer/dryer. Don't make them like they used to. Replaced with a HD Maytag...all good.

Replaced the fridge/stove/dishwasher about 3 years ago with a LG...very satisfied...
My old Kenmore washer and dryer lasted 20 years. I did my own repairs for the last 10 years. Fridge repairs are likely a little harder to do and parts more expensive.

Fingers crossed.

I did buy the extended warranty. So hopefully 5 years peace of mind although if it breaks and a part takes 3 months to arrive… I won’t be impressed.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:03 PM

296077165_1895917827407164_4570280842049595795_n by wolverine00089, on Flickr
Old 08-10-2022, 11:03 PM

Gave my old one away. Looks like they are fixing up old fridges.

New one set up.

Missing two screws and cracked shelf. Not the best start.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:24 AM

I have had tremendous luck buying used appliances from Kijiji.

When my dryer quit I bought a used one from “the Western Buy and Sell” paper for $75. Worked great for years until I moved and decided to leave it behind as the new house of bought has a new dryer in it.

Needed a chest freezer, bought the biggest that would fit in my porch from Kijiji for $200 in 2010. Works perfectly still.

Also in 2010 I bought a portable dishwasher for $50 from Kijiji. It’s still working fine.

In 2013 my fridge started to give trouble, I found someone that was doing a kitchen renovation on an already beautiful modern home, of course she wanted new appliances. So I bought their existing stainless steel set, Kitchenaid convection oven with a million functions, large Maytag bottom draw fridge with ice maker and a stainless dish washer that I’ve never installed because the old portable keeps going.

9 years later they are still working flawlessly. I paid $900 for the set of three.

Last edited by tool; 08-11-2022 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Add the price of the three appliances