Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2022, 09:00 PM

Default Colon Cancer - 3 years since my diagnosis and treatments NOW TO PREVENT YOUR JOURNEY

This isn’t about dwelling on my journey but rather helping some of you NOT have a journey to discuss.

So how can I help you prevent it?

Firstly…

if 50 or older have a FIT test done. It’s so simple.

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Alberta/...ical-test.aspx

If you have family history of colon cancer get a FIT test starting at age 40 as well as a colonoscopy.

If you have irregular bowel issues I’d strongly suggest having it done at age 40 and age 45 also. I’d also get a colonoscopy so you have a baseline.

Secondly…

After age 50 get a colonoscopy. Based upon the results you most likely may need your next one at 60 if you have no family history.

A colonoscopy, while annoying is not that big a deal. I’ve had a number of them now. What is far, far worse and more invasive is getting cancer.

Thirdly…

Get tested and follow up when you feel off. You are the best judge of if something is wrong.

This dude has been an idiot in the past. Too stubborn to get tested and follow up on problems. Not any more. Early prevention is key to a longer less stressful life.

So… talk to you doctor… talk to your spouses, siblings, parents, family and friends.

It could save you life. Not getting tested is selfish. Your loved ones will feel your pain many times over if you get sick as they are powerless.

So say **** cancer and get it done!

Stay healthy

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-02-2022, 09:12 PM

Great words of advice, thanks for that!! The big 4-0 is this year for me. Think I will look into getting this test done in the next year. Hope you stay healthy and save some of us from what yourself and many others have had to go through. I watched my own mother suffer through it and treatments and succumb to the dreaded “C” word. Don’t wish that on anyone or wish to see anyone near and dear to me go through that again if they don’t have to.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Great words of advice, thanks for that!! The big 4-0 is this year for me. Think I will look into getting this test done in the next year. Hope you stay healthy and save some of us from what yourself and many others have had to go through. I watched my own mother suffer through it and treatments and succumb to the dreaded “C” word. Don’t wish that on anyone or wish to see anyone near and dear to me go through that again if they don’t have to.
If you mom had it… get a FIT test for sure. Ow that you are 40.

Mine started growing when I was 40 cancer doc said. Didn’t get tested till my early 50’s. Great you are not going to make the same mistake.

Good news is I shared with my extended family and one family member tested young and caught it just in time.

So being proactive.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-02-2022, 09:23 PM

Great advice! F Cancer!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 08-02-2022, 09:33 PM

My bother in law is going thru it right now had the fit tests all showed negative didn't find the tumor until they did the colonoscopy.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
My bother in law is going thru it right now had the fit tests all showed negative didn't find the tumor until they did the colonoscopy.
FIT found mine. Colonoscopy confirmed. Together they are good tools to help diagnosis.

Find it early and it’s not scary… cancer starts in a polyp. It then grows down into the lymphatic tissue.

Catching it early means you remove the polyp and you are cancer free. Stage 0. Woohoo. Phew.

Stage 1… hasn’t started to spread outside the colon. New level of phew.

Stage 2 and it starts getting more complicated.

People shouldn’t be scared about finding it… as catching it early can be as simple as remove the polyp and you are cured up to minor surgery and you are cured.

The benefit of the colonoscopy is they can biopsy anything they find or decide treatment if it needs to be removed.

Point is… being scared to find out and waiting is Russian roulette of the worst kind. Finding out sooner than later is important.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:28 AM

Very good advice, lost my mother at very young age to colon cancer. These days very hard to get appointments for colonoscopy in Alberta, no doctors or nurses. Have been waiting for 2 years.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:18 AM

Great thread, Sun. An excellent reminder.

Nowadays we also have access to the "Virtual Colonoscopy": https://www.mic.ca/for-patients/proc...saAtjCEALw_wcB

This is a bit less uncomfortable than the traditional method... I have had so many of those... Time for another...

I'm so grateful for the radiologist who decided to go the extra mile because she saw something that "wasn't quite right" - and discovered that I had kidney cancer. That was six years ago, and thank the Lord that it hasn't come back.

On the flip side, this year we buried my dear mother-in-law. She always was saying "Oh, I'm okay..." until she wasn't. IncrdiGirl is in a similar situation.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Very good advice, lost my mother at very young age to colon cancer. These days very hard to get appointments for colonoscopy in Alberta, no doctors or nurses. Have been waiting for 2 years.
Advocate hard for yourself. Ask for an appointment in a different city. Just need a ride home or a night stay.

It’s worth it for peace of mind since you have family history.

Forzani Clinic down in Calgary is good. I can drive you to and from your appointment if I’m in town.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Advocate hard for yourself. Ask for an appointment in a different city. Just need a ride home or a night stay.

It’s worth it for peace of mind since you have family history.

Forzani Clinic down in Calgary is good. I can drive you to and from your appointment if I’m in town.
BGW,
I only waited for 3-4 weeks here in Cow town. That was for a colonoscopy and also an endoscopy. Have your Dr. push on this.
Mine was all clear except for a few polyp's which came back negative
WDF
Old 08-03-2022, 12:52 PM

Good to hear your cancer free and a good reminder, thanks.

My dad had non cancerous polyps but they felt I should get the test so I had to get a colonoscopy a few years back(around 50 yrs of age). Just a few hangers in me, non cancerous. The time for a follow up is approaching according to my family doc. The procedure is nothing as they put you into a nice sleep. The worst is the syrup they make you drink to clean you out pre procedure. I would do this as many times as needed if it catches something early.

Same goes for the ole prostate finger test. If that catches something early, that second or 2 of uncomfortableness is worth it.

Do whatever tests you can to get ahead of any issues is my thought.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
The procedure is nothing as they put you into a nice sleep.
They never used to put me down for those in the olden days... Ugggggggh!

There was a time when they gave me a kind of "halfway" deal, where you feel and remember everything, but you don't care.

That time around, I do recall saying things to the Dr. that I later apologized for...
Old 08-03-2022, 05:36 PM

When you go for your " Voyage to See What's Up Your Bottom", in our town, they put you half asleep, and then you get to watch the big screen video of your live procedure. I'm not much on 'selfies', but it is kind of interesting ....
Old 08-03-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Good to hear your cancer free and a good reminder, thanks.

My dad had non cancerous polyps but they felt I should get the test so I had to get a colonoscopy a few years back(around 50 yrs of age). Just a few hangers in me, non cancerous. The time for a follow up is approaching according to my family doc. The procedure is nothing as they put you into a nice sleep. The worst is the syrup they make you drink to clean you out pre procedure. I would do this as many times as needed if it catches something early.

Same goes for the ole prostate finger test. If that catches something early, that second or 2 of uncomfortableness is worth it.

Do whatever tests you can to get ahead of any issues is my thought.
Who goes to sleep during a colonoscopy. They have a TV to watch. I wasn’t in long to see how the people got out of that cave system.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:08 AM

Sundancefisher, this a good thread. There is probably not one member here on AO that does not know of a cancer survivor or worse, lost a close friend.

What most don't know is that the majority of internal exploration is all up the ol' hooper.....The embarrassment of the rear open gown is soon forgotten...

Good attempt to relax them and I like your encouragement.

Continue good health for many years to come.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 08-04-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:53 AM

In 2013 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I spent 2 months in Edmonton (July & Aug.) getting daily shots of radiation at the Cross Cancer Clinic for a total of 37 treatments. 9 years later my PSA # hasn't changed....not zero but close enough. I actually have an appt. tomorrow morning for another test. I can't help but think the early detection is why the number hasn't changed(I was 60 at the time).
Good luck out there and get regular checkups.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Who goes to sleep during a colonoscopy. They have a TV to watch. I wasn’t in long to see how the people got out of that cave system.
LMAO!! Interesting show to watch, but not one you want to see too often! I'm glad to hear you're cancer free!
Old 08-04-2022, 10:11 AM

I put off my Colonoscopy for several years so instead of getting one at the recommended 50, I waited til I was 56 and not feeling right at all. Big mistake. I ended up having colon cancer that and moved into my liver (stage 4 cancer for me ).

They found this in November of 2018 and had me on the operating table in January2019. They took a chunk of my liver and a section of my bowel out , (thankfully no ostomy bag ). I was fortunate it had not spread into my lymph nodes.
I was in and out of the hospital with multiple infections of the next several months and at one point even coded in the emergency room at our local hospital. Boy they move you to the front of the line when that happens.
After that I did 2 chemo treatments a week for six months which I finished up in Jan 2020..
I go in every 6 months now for a CT scan and so far all is well. I can’t thank my surgeon and the doctors at the Cross enough for what they did to save my life.
I don’t think it is ever really over , you kind of live your life in six month intervals . You go in and they tell you all is well and you take a breath and go on your way for another six months .
Chemo has long lasting side effects I think. Both mentally and physically . I am 60 now , I can’t work in my trade anymore due to lingering issues . Arthritis which I believe was accelerated by the chemo has beaten me down pretty good among other things but I am alive and get to enjoy my family and friends .which as you get older you realize is everything.

I say all this to to remind you. Do not put off the colonoscopy. It is a simple easy procedure that can save your life and can save you a lifetime of shoulda coulda woulda if you wait too long .
Old 08-04-2022, 12:14 PM

Sundance thankyou for the kind offer. After much fighting with my Doctor and recepionist finally in the que. Now just waiting, just like buying gas at UFA.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:16 PM

Thank you Sundance

I am now 5 years cancer free. I had colon cancer too. very long story short I had stage 4 rectal cancer which was found when I was 45 because I got giardiasis (beaver fever) and the symptoms did not clear up and I had blood in stool. So they did a colonoscopy and found cancer.

I had lots of issues before mostly that after I went to bathroom it felt like my muscles would reset and that I stil had to go and it would be painful to point of pacing or sitting a bath until everyone went back to normal.

I went through radiation, chemo, surgery, more chemo, an ileostomy lost my rectum and 17cm of my colon a bunch of lymph nodes, and my appendix because they were there doing my ileostomy. The could reconnect colon to my anus but gave me ileostomy to let colon rest through chemo.

My tumour could gave been found 5-8 years earlier if i only got it checked out and they would have found it in a simple prostate exam or blood test (CEA)

I had major side effects from chemo (lost feeling in feet) and along with diabetes it compounded.

More recently i had a major blockage from the join site in my colon constricting and almost had a burst colon and only got out of hospital last week. I had an issue for over 2-1/2 years with diarrhea because the blockage would only let liquid and gas through until it completely blocked and I went in by ambulance. My colon was the diameter of a grape fruit and was starting to rupture. They could not do a colostomy as I had so much scarring ad it was too large but they were successful with a cecum ostomy which relieved the pressure and were able to dilate the constriction and wash me out. I lost 25 lbs.

Even I can be too full of *****.

I am on the mend I had 226 staples this surgery, my last cancer surgery was 196. I am not to draw my bow for months I spent 3 1/2 weeks in hospital.

So don't even rely on doctors they gave me anti-diarhea meds for 3 years which actually made problem worse. I had a coloscopy during this time period (during covid). My family doctor referred me to a gasteroenterologist, who referred me to a surgeon who referred me to another surgeon who did the coloscopy without reading my history and told me I did not prep enough as colon was still dirty.... I did do the clean out which I shat me guts out for 24 hours prior.... and instead of recognizing it as an issue just told all my other doctors everything was good....

Now that I am cleaned out again and things working I feel better than ever... when I was full of stuff I had a brain fog, hard time getting going each day, moody and miserable, felt like crap.

There is no colon cancer in Africa... except where it under western influence...

Diet is everything. Processed sugar is the worst thing....

If you cant tell what it is because it has been processed don't eat it...

When we lived on farms and our own meat and potatoes nowhere near the health problems we have today.

Science 60-80 years ago said smoking was healthy.

However I am very thankful to our medical professionals who have saved my life on many occasions but if you feel something is wrong... something is!... keep working with health professionals until you find out what is wrong.

Sedentary living is not what we are designed for.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:42 PM

Wow, Nekred, reading your post reminded me of what I've been through with Crohn's - the blockages, the doctors saying that I didn't prep properly etc. What a rough go! So glad you're on the mend!
Old 08-04-2022, 07:06 PM

Great post. I am 51 now. I do my man test every 2 years and when they sent my stool sample they sent me for a colonoscopy. One small polyup removed and lab said non cancerous. They tell me to get another in 5 years. I will stay on top of that.
The prep for the colonoscopy is right up there with the procedure!!!
Old 08-04-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Thank you Sundance

I am now 5 years cancer free. I had colon cancer too. very long story short I had stage 4 rectal cancer which was found when I was 45 because I got giardiasis (beaver fever) and the symptoms did not clear up and I had blood in stool. So they did a colonoscopy and found cancer.

I had lots of issues before mostly that after I went to bathroom it felt like my muscles would reset and that I stil had to go and it would be painful to point of pacing or sitting a bath until everyone went back to normal.

I went through radiation, chemo, surgery, more chemo, an ileostomy lost my rectum and 17cm of my colon a bunch of lymph nodes, and my appendix because they were there doing my ileostomy. The could reconnect colon to my anus but gave me ileostomy to let colon rest through chemo.

My tumour could gave been found 5-8 years earlier if i only got it checked out and they would have found it in a simple prostate exam or blood test (CEA)

I had major side effects from chemo (lost feeling in feet) and along with diabetes it compounded.

More recently i had a major blockage from the join site in my colon constricting and almost had a burst colon and only got out of hospital last week. I had an issue for over 2-1/2 years with diarrhea because the blockage would only let liquid and gas through until it completely blocked and I went in by ambulance. My colon was the diameter of a grape fruit and was starting to rupture. They could not do a colostomy as I had so much scarring ad it was too large but they were successful with a cecum ostomy which relieved the pressure and were able to dilate the constriction and wash me out. I lost 25 lbs.

Even I can be too full of *****.

I am on the mend I had 226 staples this surgery, my last cancer surgery was 196. I am not to draw my bow for months I spent 3 1/2 weeks in hospital.

So don't even rely on doctors they gave me anti-diarhea meds for 3 years which actually made problem worse. I had a coloscopy during this time period (during covid). My family doctor referred me to a gasteroenterologist, who referred me to a surgeon who referred me to another surgeon who did the coloscopy without reading my history and told me I did not prep enough as colon was still dirty.... I did do the clean out which I shat me guts out for 24 hours prior.... and instead of recognizing it as an issue just told all my other doctors everything was good....

Now that I am cleaned out again and things working I feel better than ever... when I was full of stuff I had a brain fog, hard time getting going each day, moody and miserable, felt like crap.

There is no colon cancer in Africa... except where it under western influence...

Diet is everything. Processed sugar is the worst thing....

If you cant tell what it is because it has been processed don't eat it...

When we lived on farms and our own meat and potatoes nowhere near the health problems we have today.

Science 60-80 years ago said smoking was healthy.

However I am very thankful to our medical professionals who have saved my life on many occasions but if you feel something is wrong... something is!... keep working with health professionals until you find out what is wrong.

Sedentary living is not what we are designed for.
Yikes. We have had a similar path. Thankfully my when in doubt cut it out worked along with timing. No rectum… living with some changes in life style and yes… surgeon said they lost count after 300 of how many staples are now inside my guts.

Hope that metal never becomes valuable.

Too many stories. We have some of the luckier outcomes… I tell people who look worried that I had the best of the worst case scenario. Cancer but chopped it out … touch wood.

Like all of us patients… we have 10 years of regular testing before the system says we are cured.

It’s daily hoping but way better than daily fear.

Stay strong and get tested people!

Sun
Old 08-04-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I must have been tired I only half woke up once near the end and looked the screen for a second. Woke up after that. Maybe I got too much juice lol. See what happens on the second time around.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:15 AM

Thank you for the advice. The same could be said about monitoring heart health as well. I thought I was somewhat healthy , my job keeps me on my feet walking up and down stairs all day. I was even training for a leg in the deathrace. I went down a 1/4 of the way into the race with a Myocardial Infarction, a major blockage in my heart. Now I’m on the long road to recovery, my hunting season may be shot. I know I won’t be using my NT sheep tag this year. That’s the least of my worries. I was also wanting to check out the rest of my health like prostate and colon. After getting a catheter everything else seems way less invasive .
Old 08-06-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Good to hear everything worked for you, when I had mine they asked if I wanted to watch, no please put me out. Early detection is the key, I had aggressive prostate cancer at age 43, I'm 52 now because it was caught early.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:35 AM

Glad you guys are all still with us. There are certainly no guarantees in this life. Many of you have been down some really hard roads.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I put off my Colonoscopy for several years so instead of getting one at the recommended 50, I waited til I was 56 and not feeling right at all. Big mistake. I ended up having colon cancer that and moved into my liver (stage 4 cancer for me ).

They found this in November of 2018 and had me on the operating table in January2019. They took a chunk of my liver and a section of my bowel out , (thankfully no ostomy bag ). I was fortunate it had not spread into my lymph nodes.
I was in and out of the hospital with multiple infections of the next several months and at one point even coded in the emergency room at our local hospital. Boy they move you to the front of the line when that happens.
After that I did 2 chemo treatments a week for six months which I finished up in Jan 2020..
I go in every 6 months now for a CT scan and so far all is well. I can’t thank my surgeon and the doctors at the Cross enough for what they did to save my life.
I don’t think it is ever really over , you kind of live your life in six month intervals . You go in and they tell you all is well and you take a breath and go on your way for another six months .
Chemo has long lasting side effects I think. Both mentally and physically . I am 60 now , I can’t work in my trade anymore due to lingering issues . Arthritis which I believe was accelerated by the chemo has beaten me down pretty good among other things but I am alive and get to enjoy my family and friends .which as you get older you realize is everything.

I say all this to to remind you. Do not put off the colonoscopy. It is a simple easy procedure that can save your life and can save you a lifetime of shoulda coulda woulda if you wait too long .
Wow glad to hear of your recovery was under the opinion once it was in your liver it was a death sentence. My Dad passed of colon cancer that moved to his liver at the young age of 47 but that was 29 yrs ago and they wouldn't operate on his liver.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:12 PM

Thank You for sharing, I am a few years from when I will be doing the yearly check up.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:51 PM
AO Sponsor

All the best to you Sundance, as well as all our AO members and friends who have gone through, or currently still are, the battle with cancer! Your words hear have given me pause to consider a healthier way forward and regular doctor visits. Thanks for sharing your experiences!!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23