Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2022, 10:08 AM

Default Kids first fishing rod

Since moving to our new place, we've taken our boy to a few of the small nearby lakes, and then last night we took a drive down to the river. He's pretty excited about me bringing him fishing. What do you guys and gals recommend for his first fishing rod?

He's just over 3½. And this is something that we will potentially be doing once in a while, forever. So we will be upgrading in a couple of years anyway.

When our daughter was small I bought her one of the plastic kid rods. Which was fine, but is there a better option? Or is the typical kids fishing rod kit the way to go?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Since moving to our new place, we've taken our boy to a few of the small nearby lakes, and then last night we took a drive down to the river. He's pretty excited about me bringing him fishing. What do you guys and gals recommend for his first fishing rod?

He's just over 3½. And this is something that we will potentially be doing once in a while, forever. So we will be upgrading in a couple of years anyway.

When our daughter was small I bought her one of the plastic kid rods. Which was fine, but is there a better option? Or is the typical kids fishing rod kit the way to go?

Get a closed face caster...I have a bunch up Edm way and we can set the lad up etc ..if you have friends or family up here they can pick it up and get to him...gratis of course and just move it along...cheers
Old 08-02-2022, 01:05 PM

Great pm sent

Old 08-02-2022, 03:17 PM

What a classy move.

Savage, that’s what your child needs.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:23 PM

I am anti closed face myself and found it easy to teach a kid how to use a spinning reel. A light spinning outfit would be my recommendation
Old 08-02-2022, 03:39 PM

At age 3.5 i would be getting him a rod that floats !
Old 08-02-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
What a classy move.

Savage, that’s what your child needs.
Very kind of you, and I am sure all other AO members would do the same as able, I was just first on deck here ... that said I am also the recipient of similar kindness by AO members previously and i am just moving the LOVE forward plus sweeteners for the lad ...lol...best to all
Old 08-02-2022, 04:45 PM

Get him a little rod that he will outgrow, but make sure it's good enough that you can use it for icefishing.
I got more milage out of my girl's barbie and dora fishing rods on the ice than in the open water.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Great advice

Old 08-02-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Get him a little rod that he will outgrow, but make sure it's good enough that you can use it for icefishing.

I got more milage out of my girl's barbie and dora fishing rods on the ice than in the open water.
I still have our daughters barbie rod. I could have painted. He'd never know lol.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
lol x3 on that. Ask me how I know.

If you end up buying a closed face reel suggest spending a little more to get something better than the $12 spider-man / barbie specials as those things are such junk. Zebco makes some better models that won’t break the bank that will service the kid for a handful of years until they ready to upgrade down the road. One with a floating rod and your set.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
This a great tread, so many AO peeps jumping to help.
Now my buddy who is 55 still needs a floaty rod, I have twice had to find his lol
WDF
Old 08-02-2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
This a great tread, so many AO peeps jumping to help.
Now my buddy who is 55 still needs a floaty rod, I have twice had to find his lol
WDF
get him those strings that some had on their mittens when we were young
Old 08-04-2022, 01:04 PM

Is anyone going to Red Deer area from Edmonton? I have a fishing rod for my boy needing a ride home. It would be a while before I could make it out that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:45 PM

I just got back from st albert with a sweet fishing rod and some lures for my boy that stob hooked us up with. It's gonna be like Xmas morning tomorrow when I show him his new rod and a bag full of lures. I see it a lot and it still amazes me. The help and generosity on this site. Thank you my friend.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I just got back from st albert with a sweet fishing rod and some lures for my boy that stob hooked us up with. It's gonna be like Xmas morning tomorrow when I show him his new rod and a bag full of lures. I see it a lot and it still amazes me. The help and generosity on this site. Thank you my friend.

That is very kind of you SB...AO members are always stepping up when and as able...there are a lot of great souls here...cheers to all!!!
Old 08-11-2022, 11:37 AM

My daughter likes to catch suckers on the dock.

I just let her use my ice fishing rods. Perfect size. Have upgraded to a couple Ugly Stik Dock Runners. Great size as well.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
My daughter likes to catch suckers on the dock.

I just let her use my ice fishing rods. Perfect size. Have upgraded to a couple Ugly Stik Dock Runners. Great size as well.
We were in the sportsman's den a couple of weeks ago and the old lady showed me the big rack of kids fishing rods.

They were ice fishing rods

Old 08-11-2022, 04:07 PM

I started the gkids on Spiderman, Barbie etc. very very cheap closed face. BUT you must change the line or both of you will go craze. They were good for a season, and now they reside in their rooms, and we've moved up to a better setup.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:06 PM

I started my kids with quality gear because it’s easier to learn with equipment that works with you rather then against. I helped them as required when they were starting but by 3-1/2 years old my kids were landing everything Alberta had to offer without assistance on all of my rods. They never broke or lost a single rod or even came close. I only have a sample size of three but they’ll surprise you with how well they’ll catch onto these things with a bit of exposure.

Every parent knows their kid better then anyone else but those are my two cents.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I started my kids with quality gear because it’s easier to learn with equipment that works with you rather then against. I helped them as required when they were starting but by 3-1/2 years old my kids were landing everything Alberta had to offer without assistance on all of my rods. They never broke or lost a single rod or even came close. I only have a sample size of three but they’ll surprise you with how well they’ll catch onto these things with a bit of exposure.

Every parent knows their kid better then anyone else but those are my two cents.

This. I got so frustrated trying to teach my kids on crappy gear as it wasted my time with snarled line, lost equipment with spotty drag systems, and they had to learn how to use proper gear not long after. I’m not saying you need to buy them Stradics and G Loomis, but a Nexave and a Convergence rod won’t break the bank and they can use it for a number of years.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors