Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-01-2022, 03:07 PM

Default Arrow hold

Hey everyone,

Some friends of mine mentioned a drill for elk hunting that requires drawing your bow and holding for a minute to several minutes before releasing the shot.

How long on average, is the typical shot after you draw?

Never shot an animal with a bow before and I'm sure it varies widely but perhaps a range of time?
Old 08-03-2022, 12:31 PM

I have videoed a few shots in the field real time and I average about 5-7 seconds from start of draw to shot.

I haven’t been “hand cuffed” many times where I have had to hold a draw for a long period, I just make sure I draw at the right time to begin with, find the spot I want to hit and release.

LC
Old 08-03-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have videoed a few shots in the field real time and I average about 5-7 seconds from start of draw to shot.

I haven’t been “hand cuffed” many times where I have had to hold a draw for a long period, I just make sure I draw at the right time to begin with, find the spot I want to hit and release.

LC
X2
Old 08-03-2022, 07:00 PM

Last year's WT Doe would've been my longest hold, and I would guess that I spent about 45 seconds to 1 minute at full draw (was waiting for her to turn to offer a shot)

Good practice technique though! Go out, set up your target and try at 20 yards to start out with. Draw, have a timer go off at 1 minute and see how much you're shaking. Increase the distance by 10 yards until you get to the point that the pins are no longer steady on the target. That will give you idea of the maximum time you can hold on target.

Then again, when an animal is within range and your adrenaline is pumping you won't be able to hold as steady as long.

J.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:52 PM

Ive found the opposite, opportunities happen fast, so I practice being able to draw and shoot as quickly as possible.

Longest hold would be on a mulie i grunted in after spooking…maybe 40 seconds.

Average is 5-10 seconds on deer.

If you want to hold a bow for minutes regularly, you better work out a lot in the gym, because that is really going to mess up your upper body mechanics.