Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-28-2022, 02:19 PM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.
Default Ruger Precision Rimfire - What Height Rings Do I Need??

I have the rifle but not the scope and want to pre-order rings.

Ruger Precision Rimfire
Bushnell Elite 3.5-21 x 50 with 34mm tube
Burris XTR Signature rings - do I get the 1" high or 1.5" high. I know 1.5" high is safe but can I get closer down on the rifle with 1". Can't seem to find anything on the "net" that will provide me with some clarity, and I don't want to order rings and have to send them back. Scope won't be here for couple of weeks and would like rings in hand to mount.

Anyone with same rifle and 34mm tube and 50 objective that can help?
Old 07-28-2022, 02:41 PM
Banned

Are you using a canted rail?
Old 07-28-2022, 02:44 PM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.

Yes. The rings have 0,5,10 & 20 moa cant, however the scope has 32mil range so I don't think I will need much as in the 0 & 5.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:32 PM
Banned

Seems like some guys are even using low rings for this scope
It has a rail so that makes it a little higher to begin with
It depends on your personal preference too
I like my scope as close to the hotel as possible
But the rpr is more like a ar with the chassis
The 1” rings should clear the barrel
Old 07-28-2022, 05:32 PM

I would love to have the scope lower, except that the RPR is based on an AR platform, and from all the research I've been able to do, the 1.5" rings are likely the best choice. I may have to buy both sets and return the one that doesn't work out.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:26 PM

With a 50mm scope I can just make it with 1" rings.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
With a 50mm scope I can just make it with 1" rings.
but....is it on a Ruger Precision Rimfire? I have a 56mm scope on a CZ457 with the 1" rings and 25moa rail, 34mm tube and I've have just the perfect clearance. With the Ruger the barrel shroud takes away that space....I think?
Old 07-28-2022, 08:04 PM

The front barrel diameter on a 50mm lens is going to run 54 to 58mm. The shroud on the rifle looks to be fairly close to the scope rail in elevation. 1" is 25.4 mm, 1.5" is 38mm. Half of 54mm is 27mm. I'm guessing you will need 1.5" rings. 1" might work but it would be tight.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-28-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The front barrel diameter on a 50mm lens is going to run 54 to 58mm. The shroud on the rifle looks to be fairly close to the scope rail in elevation. 1" is 25.4 mm, 1.5" is 38mm. Half of 54mm is 27mm. I'm guessing you will need 1.5" rings. 1" might work but it would be tight.
I'm thinking you are correct. I won't have scope for 2 weeks give or take. I do have a Bushnell 50mm sunshade and it's 58mm.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:00 AM

And here I am, trying to figure out how to lower a 50mm on a cz457 AT-one, either that or build up the cheek piece, which is an adjustable one. I have the med 30mm XTR rings on a 1/2" high pic rail, but no barrel shroud to contend with. I can't spot any rings being available, which will mount to the 11mm dovetail and then still give a person some extra MOA angle for a .22. Not sure if the mfgrs have not figured out there is a market in that area yet, or maybe, there is an issue with a 2lbs scope and that style of mounting.
Appears the easiest way to accomplish what I need, is to build up the cheekpiece, and I'm not too sure how the adjuster setup will handle R&R on the cheekpiece for cleaning over time. Nuthin's perfect.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:47 AM

If it were me, I would forgo the Burris rings and the "adjustable inserts".
I don't trust inserts, and with only 2 ring-heights available I would look for other options.

Many people sh*t on Vortex scopes, but they have a great selection of scope rings & mounts.
And they only offer 1 set of rings for 34mm tubes, the Precision line (IIRC made in USA, not China).

It has four options, 1" / 1.1" / 1.26" / 1.45"... Very easy to get that fit just perfect.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-prec...4mm-rings.html
Old 07-29-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
And here I am, trying to figure out how to lower a 50mm on a cz457 AT-one, either that or build up the cheek piece, which is an adjustable one. I have the med 30mm XTR rings on a 1/2" high pic rail, but no barrel shroud to contend with. I can't spot any rings being available, which will mount to the 11mm dovetail and then still give a person some extra MOA angle for a .22. Not sure if the mfgrs have not figured out there is a market in that area yet, or maybe, there is an issue with a 2lbs scope and that style of mounting.
Appears the easiest way to accomplish what I need, is to build up the cheekpiece, and I'm not too sure how the adjuster setup will handle R&R on the cheekpiece for cleaning over time. Nuthin's perfect.
Will these work? I have them on 1 of my rimfire with the Vortex rings.

https://canadashootingsupply.ca/prod...-adapter-2pcs/

Can find them with anyone that sells UTG stuff, even on amazon.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:35 PM

My comment was based on a Ruger Precision Rimfire, so based on the same rifle.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:38 AM

I’ve ordered the 1.5” which will work. If they are totally too high, then I will send back and get the 1”. A lot of variables for marrying rifles to scopes via rings and when you don’t live close the LGS’s and even that extra trip confirms they don’t have what you need in stock, its still a guessing game.

I used callipers and measured off the barrel to shroud height and then Ruger rail projecting above the shroud and came up with 13mm +/- by a bit.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:37 AM

I now have the 1.5” high rings and scope should be here in the next few days. Scope has 32mil adjustment. What inserts do I need to zero at 50 and shoot out to 400m?