Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-21-2022, 08:23 PM

Default Sit It Out Or Continue

All of us trappers know it wasn't great Auction results for many regarding what fur was put in due to all that was happening Covid ETC. , ECT. Conversation in a trapping store regarding Coyotes the one gentleman said he was not going to put out snares for them this season due to the poor prices . Cost of Gas , Replacement costs , time setting, putting up pelts etc. The next gentleman in the conversation was going to continue snaring but cut back on the amount of areas . FOR myself I'm on the fence , I have all my replacement snares built at the end of June . If I due any setting I'll be scaling back on my areas for sure . Last season I barely got through completing my own coyote pelts due to a shoulder injury & couldn't help out a fellow trapper (Dave ) complete some of his . So this mid 60"s body is telling me to slow up . SO WHAT Are SOME OF YOU TRAPPERS CONSIDERING ? .
Old 07-22-2022, 07:29 AM

Nothing different. Just a thought if everyone leaves the animals cause there is a smaller value, then the populations get real high sounds good. That is till parvo, mange, dog mites ect start running rampant about the time there is more demand an guys are loosing huge percentage to worthless fur give an take. I really like catching healthy young coyotes they are way nicer to skin. My two cents.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:31 AM

Owe an what else would I do? get a new sofa an binge Netflix
Old 07-22-2022, 07:46 AM

Not much change here. Just might scale back a few spots. But still keep on keepin on, if I stop my regular spots will get so bad with mites and lice and mange I’ll have huge losses to garbage fur.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:11 AM

I plan on reduced number of traps on RFMA this winter and longer time between trap checks. Only modest number of coyotes. The $2.00 gas/diesel and low fur prices sure plays hell with trapline economics
Old 07-22-2022, 09:23 AM

Default my intentions

I didn't snare or hunt coyotes this past winter because of the predicted lower pelt prices therefore saved money on gas and truck wear and tear.
From what I'm seeing now - it's an easy decision to say I wont be doing anything again.

Not only are the prices low but many aren't even selling...
Will do some ice fishing, big game and bird hunting.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:24 PM

At my age I dont have time to sit it out.Have seen three or four big busts over the years.I love the challenges that coyote snaring/trapping and calling create.Im hoping that calling competition will slow down as it has been intense of late down south and maybe a bounty will return.My trail cams are showing an abundance of coyotes and am wondering if a few snare people packing it in last winter has an effect already.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:44 AM
Banned

well......got back from being away for a few days and checked FHA. sold 17 of 40 dogs and when i got finished paying the skinner and FHA, i had 100 dollars for me!

i've always said it's a hobby and i'll hunt them even if i can't sell 'em. i'm getting closer and closer to the end of my run, so won't stop because they're not worth what they were. any reason to keep the old knees limbered up is good.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
well......got back from being away for a few days and checked FHA. sold 17 of 40 dogs and when i got finished paying the skinner and FHA, i had 100 dollars for me!

i've always said it's a hobby and i'll hunt them even if i can't sell 'em. i'm getting closer and closer to the end of my run, so won't stop because they're not worth what they were. any reason to keep the old knees limbered up is good.
Hey Spoiled got news for ya ,if you didnt figure in gas money you didnt end up with a 100 bucks either..lol...no time now for us to both quit ,weve just started getting this snare thing figured out .Like my father said " all hobbies cost money " looks like snaring dogs is gonna be a hobby now ..lower prices will still work as long as we can sell em and I wont feel quite as bad walking up to a $40 eagle wrecked coyote as a $200 one ..I had thought of quitting and starving the birds out but cant see myself not chasing fur again this winter.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2022, 09:02 AM
Banned

naw.....gotta keep going! money be damned, right?

you catching any fish?
Old 07-24-2022, 04:14 PM

I'll focus more on beavers,skunks and some rats this fall. Few coyotes around home but nothing crazy.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:31 PM

Default Sit it out

Personally, I think I’m done until prices go up. That being said, once the season rolls around, I might change my mind, and catch a few just to have something to do to keep busy.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Personally, I think I’m done until prices go up. That being said, once the season rolls around, I might change my mind, and catch a few just to have something to do to keep busy.
Lol..when we hear you say I " think I'm done" it's my bet you are killing dogs come December..

Old 07-26-2022, 07:37 PM
AO Sponsor

How long do you think our lill dictator and his buddy Klaus Schwab gonna let us kill coyotes for???

Better get some in while you still can.

Might want to max out on your big game tags this year and load up on as much game as you allowed

But i hear they were serving up worm hot dawgs and sides of mealworms and crickets at the stampede! Doesnt that sound good??? Maybe better start muskrat trapping, again, spossed to be sweetest meat on earth.

UN 2030 deadline is fast approaching!

Leslyn Lewis snd Pierre Pollivere now both confirm that the WEF people are deeply entrenched in the Liberal party and trying to do a hostile takeover of the world! Like Canada first.

So you best get as much trapping and hunting and especially ocean fishing in as you can… while you can!!!

When Isreal and Biden no Brains and his brainless giddy gurlfriend start bombing Iran, and the Iranians mine the Strait of Hormuz solid, i wonder what price of fuel will cost then??

Better max out on the fun, time running short???

ps…. 1/16 Senneker-Shock Locks have finally arrived…. with some revisions!
Old 07-26-2022, 10:27 PM
Banned

sheesh marty!.....did you go on that diet you were threatening?
Old 07-27-2022, 10:43 AM

Mary may be alittle far fechted in his prediction, however if the Turd keeps taking our guns away we will never be able to hunt and trap in future.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Do consider non-mainstream “news”/propoganda, far too much brainwashing and diversion.

Red pill or blue pill?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7PKRjrid4
Old 07-27-2022, 01:23 PM
AO Sponsor

Im gonna do a bunch of snaring, maybe even some with foot traps. Will try to mend my ways and get the most bang for my buck on my fuel bill. Just hoping isreal and biden dont bomb iran anytime soon so fuel price doesnt go ballistic. It seems strange that fuel prices have dropped. But i suppose what China buys from Russia they dont buy from elsewhere, then EU can buy that stuff and its all just a game of rearranging supply routes/trade, and all comes out in the wash.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:43 PM

Just got my cheque today..

I didn't send much in, but the coyotes that sold went for 10-30.. And the foxes even less.

I love trapping, but I can't justify the fuel, snares, machine maintence etc for that money.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:09 PM
Banned

got my cheque today.....averaged 6.00 each for me (but still had to pay for gas.) oh well, i do it mostly because it gives me a reason to be outside and active. when i don't enjoy it anymore i'll quit.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:20 AM
AO Sponsor

So you averaged $6 because… you sold all the good ones to Austin? Or Don? Bruce? Kept to tan? Nice to have all the facts.

So your left over 💩 sold for $6 or what? Tell me the rest of the story?
Old 07-28-2022, 07:22 AM
Banned

i paid the skinner, freight, drumming, consignment fees, etc, etc, and when all the smoke cleared there was 6 dollars left for me. i didn't check the gas bills, so that still had to be paid out of my 6 dollars.

it looks like they sold the best 17 out of my dogs, so this is probably going to be my biggest profit margin for last winter.

sorry, i went back and read that post and it wasn't very clear. my average was about 32.00 american
Old 07-28-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
i paid the skinner, freight, drumming, consignment fees, etc, etc, and when all the smoke cleared there was 6 dollars left for me.

sorry, i went back and read that post and it wasn't very clear. my average was about 32.00 american
With a payout like that I see a.new truck in your future G O !! It will probably say Matchbox on the under carriage but it will be new ..

Old 07-28-2022, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
With a payout like that I see a.new truck in your future G O !! It will probably say Matchbox on the under carriage but it will be new ..

..........you're sure right bout that! you don't have some old wrecked rancher's truck sitting around there you'd be willing to part with, do you? (i already got a snowmobile from marty)
Old 07-28-2022, 09:51 AM
AO Sponsor

Ok that makes sense!

Trucks… there are a couple around here but they get used. I need to ditch the flat deck and put a box back on the one, too heavy for the long haul, too much fuel. I must mend my ways! But surely Klaus’s lill minion gonna be banning my old truck soon?

You fellers best get beaver trapping. I just heard what went on at the sale as in the who what where when why and how! Methinks cowboy hats gonna get real expensive real quick. Could spill into coyotes a little on the low end if they can use coyote wool. $22 a pound…. Yikes
Old 07-28-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
..........you're sure right bout that! you don't have some old wrecked rancher's truck sitting around there you'd be willing to part with, do you? (i already got a snowmobile from marty)
I'm currently.driving it ..LOL...

Old 07-28-2022, 07:51 PM

Not a bad payday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB788D84-9FFA-4F21-B69B-9D241807DC04.jpg (24.1 KB, 151 views)
Old 07-29-2022, 06:42 AM

A much bigger check than.the rest of us are getting , what did your sales include ?

Old 07-29-2022, 12:49 PM

I have a fee listed as express. What is that?
Old 07-29-2022, 02:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
A much bigger check than.the rest of us are getting , what did your sales include ?

He had like 15,000 beavers

The fee is likely the 12$ a shipper transport charge from depot to Winnipeg/North Bay, same charge whether 1 beaver or 15,000 like Mikey