Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-18-2022, 11:35 PM

Default Opinions on shooting Broadheads once before hunting?

So here is the debate. When you get your bow perfectly tuned for your test broadheads and everything is shooting perfectly, and you are ready to hunt and you get your brand new broadheads on your arrows, do you shoot them once to make sure they are each shooting straight and where they need to be, giving you confidence in the arrow and knowing its not a "flyer", or do you trust they are perfect and you don't want to risk dulling the blades shooting into a target one time?

I have heard both schools of though and I see merit to both. What are everyone's opinions on this? Of course, mechanicals aren't in the equation, I am not a fan. I am currently shooting single bevel Grizzly Stik Samurai's.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:56 PM

shoot once. resharpen if you can.

I shoot replaceable blades so I have a set of target blades and another set of hunting blades.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:19 AM

Every arrow that enters my quiver for hunting has been shot at least once at a target at the max distance I ever plan on shooting. Proof is always in the pudding. Not all arrows are the same and not all components fit together perfectly. I have had to nock tune complete arrows to get perfect flight. I have had to sideline arrow because they wouldn’t shoot to distance. I might be more anal than others but I test every arrow.

LC
Old 07-19-2022, 08:41 AM

I am shooting Magnus Stingers. I weighed and spun each arrow, and now when I practice every night, I will shoot 4-5 field points and one broadhead every single practice rep from 70 yds and in. (Foam target beside a bag target)

Come end of August, I will spin, weigh and then shoot my broadheads from 70 and in, into foam just for my own peace of mind. A quick resharpen or blade change, respin to confirm true and into the quiver they go.

I guess a guy could just screw em in and spin em but if that bull elk is at 46 yards I do not want anything creeping into my mind other than executing a good shot. This is just my .02 cents, might be overkill, might not be enough but it is what I do and it works for me!
Old 07-19-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Every arrow that enters my quiver for hunting has been shot at least once at a target at the max distance I ever plan on shooting. Proof is always in the pudding. Not all arrows are the same and not all components fit together perfectly. I have had to nock tune complete arrows to get perfect flight. I have had to sideline arrow because they wouldn’t shoot to distance. I might be more anal than others but I test every arrow.

LC
Completely agree. Every arrow/broadhead combination should be shot at max distance at least once, if not more. Fresh blades are put in before they go in the quiver.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:13 PM

I shoot replaceable blades. I will also weigh the BHs separately as well as the finished arrow shafts, then match BH to arrow shaft by weight so that each finished arrow weighs in as close as the next one. This way the weight variance is very close from low to high, usually within 1-2 grains.

I've seen variances on practice arrows vary up to 10 grains

J.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:43 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

So I decided to watch and listen to a bunch of Ed Ashby videos and learn all about the reasoning behind High FOC/Heavy Arrows and Single Bevel Broadheads. Of course I was converted. In the past year I have personally seen a friend shoot a Bull Elk on a follow up shot at 76 yards and it went right through the shoulder blade and was lethal. I've also seen one go right through the skull of a PnY Blackbear. So for me, I can't replace the blades on the single bevel.

Anyways one of the things that they preach is almost ALL broadheads aren't sharp enough and how important it is to be sharp. I know hunters who will only shoot with a new BH, and they are very successful. However just like everyone here, I feel I NEED to know that arrow with that broadhead is good to 70+ yards.

I guess another question is how much do a few shots into a foam target dull a broadhead?

Things to ponder as the season approaches. So much to look forward too.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

So I decided to watch and listen to a bunch of Ed Ashby videos and learn all about the reasoning behind High FOC/Heavy Arrows and Single Bevel Broadheads. Of course I was converted. In the past year I have personally seen a friend shoot a Bull Elk on a follow up shot at 76 yards and it went right through the shoulder blade and was lethal. I've also seen one go right through the skull of a PnY Blackbear. So for me, I can't replace the blades on the single bevel.

Anyways one of the things that they preach is almost ALL broadheads aren't sharp enough and how important it is to be sharp. I know hunters who will only shoot with a new BH, and they are very successful. However just like everyone here, I feel I NEED to know that arrow with that broadhead is good to 70+ yards.

I guess another question is how much do a few shots into a foam target dull a broadhead?

Things to ponder as the season approaches. So much to look forward too.
70 yards is a long shot, especially with a heavy/high FOC arrow. Just sharpen your broadhead after shooting it through foam if you feel it needs to be sharp as possible..
Old 07-19-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
70 yards is a long shot, especially with a heavy/high FOC arrow. Just sharpen your broadhead after shooting it through foam if you feel it needs to be sharp as possible..
That’s the thing. After shooting it once into foam, it still feels super sharp to me, I doubt I can improve on it. And Grizzlystiks are some of the sharpest broadheads out there, their factory edge is incredible. I actually sent back 9 to be sharpened at the factory so I know they are as sharp as possible for the season.

And just to be clear, I don’t plan to hunt animals at 70 yards but I like to know they are hitting accurately as far out as possible.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:27 PM

I shoot every arrow, occasionally a couple of times.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:30 AM

Every arrow is shot with broadheads. I might have 3 in 12 that dont make the broadhead cut because they just dont fly how I want them even though they fly great with fieldpoints. Do yourself a favour and learn how to sharpen your single bevels, a sharp broadhead makes a huge difference in my opinion. Its amazing how even just putting it in and out of the quiver can dull a head. I resharpen/hone several times during a season. For me, easily sharpened heads are mandatory, I have done the expandables, 4 blades, replaceable blades, and wont be going back
Old 08-08-2022, 07:51 PM

Shooting into foam or any butt will really dull your broadhead, Sharpen them before you hunt, You just quoted a video guy saying most hunters broadheads arent sharp enough, shooting into a target butt of any type puts you in that catagory,