Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-15-2022, 10:47 AM

Default Need a new Rifle Scope - Update

HI gents, I creep this discussion for good info but don't buy rifles or reload like most do as am a set in my ways kinda guy, just like my dad. I am still shooting the 308 model E Savage he gave me on my 16th bday,(54 now) and his 30-06 was still his only rifle with a 40 yr old Leupold scope when he quit hunting at 80 yrs young.

We lost him to dementia & related heath issues in January but he lived a great life to a ripe age of 86. So his rifle needs a new modern scope. 10 yrs back, him & I were to pull our high points on Ant mule deer and go south to a family farm by Lethbridge and have her hubby guide us around to local ranches where he hunts and knows the owners. But, I could not convince dad to make the trip as he recently had a bypass and that was that. So I continued to build points while my 12 yr old son began building his. We have now pulled those points and are doing this MD hunt. I also have a Ant Moose draw in some wicked farm land.

Last Nov, my dads best friend of 60 yrs used his rifle in our deer blind and took his biggest buck to date. A 5x5 beauty for the perpetual meat buck hunter. That was so special to see dads bestie take this buck with dads rifle. This season I will be carrying dads rifle for these draw tags(and future hunts when the urge hits).

I really need to upgrade his old Leupold scope for this season. With its age and old school design and my eyes lol, it is not the best scope anymore.

I am looking for your thoughts on a modern, good quality 3x9 ish scope for this 30-06. I know scopes can be like a what's the best caliber discussion but give me your brand & model opinion and the stores you like to shop at and I will do my research from there. I would spend up to 1G for a good scope.

Dumb question time. I assume any new scope wont fit in his old scope rings as it is a narrow tube, old school scope. if I recall, rings don't come with a scope so I should take dads rifle with me to the stores so they can match the right rings to the rifle? I assume the store will install the scope too?

Thanks for any and all opinions as it has been 20 yrs since I bought a scope for my 308.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:00 AM

At the upper end of your budget, the Swarovski Z3 3-10×42, is an excellent scope. For half the price, the leupold Freedom is decent.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:39 AM

I’d probably find a nice new leupold for several reasons, in no particular order.

1) Bright

2) light weight

3) Tough

4) Warranty

5) sentimental

6) Value

The sky is the limit, but a VX2 and up would probably blow your socks off. I am a big fan of the 2.5-8’s but they can be a little short for some actions. One of the newest 3.5-10’s, VX3HD would probably get my vote.I also wouldn’t shy away from a good used one.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:46 PM

I second the VX3HD in 3.5-10. I just put one on a rifle and it’s light, clear and seems like a pretty good bang for your buck.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:58 PM

I think you'd be treated best if you took the rifle to P&D Enterprise in Edmonton. Great crowd down there with a wide variety of scopes. They will take care of you with new rings and base. Good luck with the hunts this year. Looking forward to some stories in December.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
At the upper end of your budget, the Swarovski Z3 3-10×42, is an excellent scope. For half the price, the leupold Freedom is decent.
Normally I would suggest the Z3 as well. Fantastic scope for the $
In this case though, I would say Leupold (betting this is my first time actually recommending one) for nostalgia sake
Old 07-15-2022, 05:13 PM

You’re in Edmonton. Head down to P&D with your dad’s rifle. You can look through a bunch of glass and have them answer any and all questions you have. They will mount, hone, and bore sight it for you.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:32 AM

P&D has Leupold VX-3hd and VX-Freedom models...

The VX-Freedom is about half the price, $450 for a 3-9x40 Duplex reticle and no parallax adjustment.

It's basically their entry level scope now, replacing the VX-2 lineup.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:43 AM

I just put a VX3 4.5x14x40 with the Boone and Crockett Reticle on my latest acquisition. That or the 3x9x40 version of the same scope is also a good choice. They are light, super clear, lifetime transferable warranty and it looks right on this gun. Function and clarity is critical, but so is overall looks in my opinion.

The Swaro Z3 3x9x44 BRH are also great scopes but in my case the body was not long enough to fit between the rings properly. The Z5 3.5x18x44 BRH fits but looks overly long and large in this application, though I have 2 on other rifles.

Another vote for P&D. They are better priced than Cabelas, and WAY more knowledgeable and helpful, plus they are locally owned.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:16 AM

If you aren't hard and fast on a new scope with the latest bells and whistles and want to stay with more of a vintage look, possibly even gloss, I have 2 older 3 - 9x just sitting that I've considered selling and not looking for big $$ on.

Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9×40 with plex reticle. Has a mark or 2 on tube but glass is excellent and I'd put it up against the newer model midrange Leupolds in pretty much every aspect.

Redfield wide field 3-9x40 gloss with plex reticle. Really nice condition. The old Redfields were a solid scope. Better quality than the new versions.

Can pm me if you have any interest. No hard sell as I don't really care if they sell or not.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:44 AM

I wonder if the old original Leupold was sent to Korth for service if it would come back clear and useable? Just a thought.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 07-17-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I wonder if the old original Leupold was sent to Korth for service if it would come back clear and useable? Just a thought.

That is an excellent suggestion. It would be worth a try but if it is one of the old 3/4" Leupolds I doubt they have anything to repair it with. It might however result in a replacement scope or at least a hefty discount on a new one.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:44 PM

I agree send it to Korth they will fix or replace it fantastic customer service
Old 07-18-2022, 12:04 PM

Old 07-21-2022, 06:32 PM

What scope is on the rifle now ?
Old 07-22-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I’d probably find a nice new leupold for several reasons, in no particular order.

1) Bright

2) light weight

3) Tough

4) Warranty

5) sentimental

6) Value

The sky is the limit, but a VX2 and up would probably blow your socks off. I am a big fan of the 2.5-8’s but they can be a little short for some actions. One of the newest 3.5-10’s, VX3HD would probably get my vote.I also wouldn’t shy away from a good used one.
x2
Old 07-22-2022, 05:00 PM

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I sent them a 6x Leupold that I bought at a garage sale for $40 in a shoe box . Previous owner twisted off both adjustment knobs, then unscrewed the ocular lens to see what's inside. Two weeks later totally reconditioned scope arrives by Purolator......no charge.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:02 PM

Default be aware

Entry level Leupolds are made in China.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post

I dont think this is correct. VX Freedom is the entry level model I believe and it is designed, machined and assembled in the U.S.

You may be thinking the low end binos and non gold ring spotters.

Last edited by 270person; 07-23-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:34 AM

Default I have a few extra scopes I haven’t got around to selling

Includes:

Swarovski Z3
Leupold VX-1
Old 07-23-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
You are incorrect.

Straight from the horses mouth:

The VX-Freedom series is everything consumers expect from a Leupold: designed machined, and assembled in the Oregon factory, tested to the same ruggedness standards as top-tier riflescopes, and guaranteed for a lifetime of performance.

https://www.leupold.com/blog/post/le...of-riflescopes

There are no absolutes
Old 07-23-2022, 08:47 AM

Leupold rep told the boys at P&D that VX Freedom glass is essentially VX2 glass but with better coatings, this a real good value for the price. I have had VX2s and can certainly see it. Certainly the equivalent of a VX2.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2022, 10:06 AM

Just to keep things orderly, if you have scopes you want to try and sell to the OP, please message by PM and don't derail thread, or post in the buy and sell.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-24-2022, 11:03 AM

I have been using leupold for about 40 years. Used them on everything from 300 win mag to 25-06 all with great results.They are a good scope for the price and the warranty and service is outstanding. P&D for sure will look after you well.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=Homesteader;4540655]I’d probably find a nice new leupold for several reasons, in no particular order.

1) Bright

2) light weight

3) Tough

4) Warranty

5) sentimental

6) Value

The sky is the limit, but a VX2 and up would probably blow your socks off.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

You could always send your Dad's scope sent back to Leupold and have it repaired or replaced for the cost of shipping.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:48 AM

Sooner, if you happen to send the scope to Leupold (you should, imo), please let us know how it works out.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:36 PM

Gents, thanks so much for the info & PM's. Work went crazy now that the farmers got into their hay(chasing Ins claims) but I have taken note of all the good info and should have some time to go to P & D next week.

Dads rifle is a 40 yr old Winchester, 30-06 with a drop plate. The Leupold scope is a 3x9 of the same vintage. It is still clear but my eyes are the problem now lol. It does have a small receptacle. My 20 yr old scope is much brighter than dads. New should be a real treat for his rifle. After the season items will be a re bluing, gunsmith cleaning and stock refinish. I will post a pic of it next week.

Thanks again
Old 08-03-2022, 08:57 PM

I believe your dad’s rifle is closer to 60yrs old and a nice refurbishing will be a fitting tribute to your dad! If I can be of help in anyway, let me know.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Best scope at this price, my favorite pound for pound as well.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:33 AM

P&D is a good store. Prophet River is a much better one, and will give you better service should you ever need it. Plus, they are a site sponsor. Just sayin.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk