Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Which refiner is UFA buying their fuel from?
AFIK they use Shell, Esso or Petrocan.. Was also told by a Petrocan Disributor that it is not the same fuel formula as the fuel sold by the refiners retail outlets.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
The lineups at UFA are kind of annoying now though. For the last ten years, you could likely pull into any cardlock, anytime, and pull up straight to a pump. Now, it seems any cardlock, between 8:00 - 8:00, there will be a lineup and you're waiting.
For .20-35c/L savings who cares? Ever buy gas at Costco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
AFIK they use Shell, Esso or Petrocan.. Was also told by a Petrocan Disributor that it is not the same fuel formula as the fuel sold by the refiners retail outlets.
I know I get a little less fuel economy with ufa fuel, but with the savings listed above it is still far better value there than anywhere else. Not having premium is not an issue to me anymore.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-04-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I know I get a little less fuel economy with ufa fuel, but with the savings listed above it is still far better value there than anywhere else. Not having premium is not an issue to me anymore.
As a side note, the best fuel economy I've got is from Coop fuel. They are building their own fuel though
Old 08-04-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
As a side note, the best fuel economy I've got is from Coop fuel. They are building their own fuel though
I agree with that. And the old Husky- they had the best diesel hands down.

Funny thing is going into the states- soon as your get US diesel power and mileage jump up exponentially.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-04-2022, 11:26 AM

Clear diesel this morning in Lloyd at UFA 1.51 tax in

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:03 PM

Only problem now is everyone and their dog is trying to buy UFA fuel. In Spruce Grove yesterday their were 15 vehicles lined up, now worse than Costco. Everybody likes to save a $$$.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Only problem now is everyone and their dog is trying to buy UFA fuel. In Spruce Grove yesterday their were 15 vehicles lined up, now worse than Costco. Everybody likes to save a $$$.
I filled up in Buck Lake on Monday and the machine had run out of paper. Don't know what I paid but it was alot less. Then I Read on FB Tuesday that they are out of fuel and the next truck is not till Thursday....
WDF
Old 08-04-2022, 09:55 PM

Man you can sure tell who the UFA newbies are. For the love of god move your vehicle prior to spending 5 min getting your receipt.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:17 AM

South Calgary Costco was 1.379 today
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-05-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Man you can sure tell who the UFA newbies are. For the love of god move your vehicle prior to spending 5 min getting your receipt.
No different than when farmers pull up to fuel up their truck, after they filled they go inside and chit chat with the person inside.
Maybe move your vehicle then you have all the time to BS.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:18 AM

I wanted to mention these 2 gas stations but kept forgetting. The first one is right on St Albert Trail north of Henday, it is a Petro Canada one. Constantly had a lower gas than pretty much anyone in town, just few cents above Costco. Well today they are 2 cents lower than Costco even! The second one is a Coop just a mile north down the road on the same St.Albert trail. Same story.
Both are at $135.9 while Costco at $139.9 and UFA is at $137.2…
Old 08-10-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I wanted to mention these 2 gas stations but kept forgetting. The first one is right on St Albert Trail north of Henday, it is a Petro Canada one. Constantly had a lower gas than pretty much anyone in town, just few cents above Costco. Well today they are 2 cents lower than Costco even! The second one is a Coop just a mile north down the road on the same St.Albert trail. Same story.
Both are at $135.9 while Costco at $139.9 and UFA is at $137.2…
Those 2 do usually have good prices and 135.9 is way better than most in the area at 157.9, but just so you know Costco St Albert is 133.9 this morning. Just filled up.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:32 AM

Prince Rupert is $2.00 - $2.20

lol hahaha no gouging at all

Old 08-10-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
You have no idea how bad it is. I have been getting my fuel from UFA in Fort Saskatchewan for 20 years and never had problems. Now, most nights there are 6 to 7 cars in line for the one pump that has clear gasoline, with another 2 or 3 cars circling everyone trying to cut in front because they don't want to wait in line. Most of them don't know what side of the vehicle their gas tank is on so when its their turn they have to turn around and back in...so learning how to use the card reader is painful to watch. Even seen one of the regular guys try and help...the Asian guy ran away and sat in his car until he left, blocking the pump the entire time. I fill up twice a week and its the same sh** show every time.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
You have no idea how bad it is. I have been getting my fuel from UFA in Fort Saskatchewan for 20 years and never had problems. Now, most nights there are 6 to 7 cars in line for the one pump that has clear gasoline, with another 2 or 3 cars circling everyone trying to cut in front because they don't want to wait in line. Most of them don't know what side of the vehicle their gas tank is on so when its their turn they have to turn around and back in...so learning how to use the card reader is painful to watch. Even seen one of the regular guys try and help...the Asian guy ran away and sat in his car until he left, blocking the pump the entire time. I fill up twice a week and its the same sh** show every time.
And in Airdrie on Saturday a farmer was having a heck of a time till I told him his card was backwards lol. He thanked me and I left.
WDF
Old 08-10-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I watched a woman in a little white car do the same thing, when someone pulled out she whipped in where he was from the front of the line and stood there indignant. Of course nobody would say anything, she was looking for it. She didn't even have a link card, had to wait until someone came out and ran initilized the system for her. Entitled wow.

Old 08-10-2022, 01:43 PM

filled up at wetasawin ufa, last weekend, was 135 there for clear gas
Old 08-10-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Prince Rupert is $2.00 - $2.20

lol hahaha no gouging at all
Not cheap exactly but Chevron is 194.9
Old 08-10-2022, 01:48 PM

Default Vermilion

Filled the other day 127.0 in Vermilion

Up 3c from prior fill

Pin
Old 08-10-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintailslammer View Post
Filled the other day 127.0 in Vermilion

Up 3c from prior fill

Pin
LLoydminster is up too.

Can you imagine the heat on UFA upper echelon after constantly making global news?

Old 08-10-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
LLoydminster is up too.

Can you imagine the heat on UFA upper echelon after constantly making global news?
I think it was $1.335 (tax in) in Lloyd yesterday for clear gas. Think it was $1.44 at Stupidstore. It all helps but if the lines are nutty at UFA and I don’t need a full fill, I’ll just go Superstore. Get PC points too so it’s not a huge gap anymore.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I think it was $1.335 (tax in) in Lloyd yesterday for clear gas. Think it was $1.44 at Stupidstore. It all helps but if the lines are nutty at UFA and I don’t need a full fill, I’ll just go Superstore. Get PC points too so it’s not a huge gap anymore.
Starting to drop to $1.39.9 in Lloyd same as UFA this morning

Superstore is still $144.9 it will drop tomorrow, yup 7 cents PC points for me too
Old 08-10-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Starting to drop to $1.39.9 in Lloyd same as UFA this morning

Superstore is still $144.9 it will drop tomorrow, yup 7 cents PC points for me too
Nice. It was only time till everything evened out. The wife loves getting gas at SS and hoarding the points. Up to 2M and I keep asking when is she ever going to spend them?!?
Old 08-10-2022, 03:20 PM

I was talking to a UFA manager yesterday and he told me that they have gotten over 100,000 new memberships last month. Also told me that the more fuel they sell, the better discount they get from the refineries so that are actually making more money by selling for less than their competitors.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:12 PM

Looks like UFA’s 15 minutes of fame is over…
Filled up tonight in Lloyd, $1.431 tax in. All other stations were $1.399, didn’t know the price till I checked receipt.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon444 View Post
Looks like UFA’s 15 minutes of fame is over…
Filled up tonight in Lloyd, $1.431 tax in. All other stations were $1.399, didn’t know the price till I checked receipt.
My price is $1.375 today. All depends on discount. Another guy I talked to pays .35c cheaper for diesel at $1.229

Old 08-10-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
My price is $1.375 today. All depends on discount. Another guy I talked to pays .35c cheaper for diesel at $1.229
Yes I’m not sure how often the price changes at UFA or what the volume discount if any effects price. I was there at 4:00pm.

Buying 1000L a month currently
Old 08-11-2022, 07:03 AM

Was told that it fluctuates daily.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon444 View Post
Yes I’m not sure how often the price changes at UFA or what the volume discount if any effects price. I was there at 4:00pm.

Buying 1000L a month currently
Price is adjusted every day based on the wholesale price for the day. UFA will send you a copy of their price list for all fuels by email daily if you want it. Being the curious type I asked them how they set their prices.

Pricing.Group@ufa.com

Hello Dean,

Thank you for your email. I would like to share some information that I hope will bring some clarity regarding UFA’s cardlock pricing structure and setup.

UFA does not base our fuel pricing the same way that retail stations do, nor does UFA guarantee that our cardlock pricing will always be cheaper than other retail locations. Retail stations often participate in so called "price wars" to match each other in pricing, even if this means cutting into their margins. UFA on the other hand, bases our pricing on the daily changes that occur with wholesale refinery rack prices. We do not participate in the same competition space as retail stations. Refinery rack prices may go up or down, but it is a true representation of the wholesale market price changes that occur. When the market prices are increasing, UFA will be in line with the increases while retail outlets may hold on their pricing, creating the occasional price advantage, but eventually they have to catch up to market pricing. At the same time, when market prices decrease, UFA will be in line as well while retail market may hold at the higher price in order to recoup margin.

The refinery diesel rack prices have been rising rapidly since the start of the year, which is being reflected in your pricing. When the racks decrease in pricing, you will also see that change reflected in pricing. This is compared to retail where they may hold the same price for weeks or months, regardless of the wholesale pricing, which is generally determined by local competition within the retail market. UFA offers consistency and visibility into UFA Rack pricing. If you wish to have access to it, please let us know and we can add you to the email list. Then you will be aware of the daily price increases and decreases as they occur.

I would also add that it is possible that you do not have an appropriate discount on your account based on what your purchase patterns are for the year. Cardlocks are a volume-based businesses and I would recommend speaking with your local UFA Fuel Agency to discuss your fuel usage, volumes and pricing. They can determine if have an appropriate discount on your fuel.

When it comes to how your fuel price is displayed, UFA follows a cardlock industry standard that shows base price + applicable fuel taxes before GST. This is the standard that the cardlock industry follows. Since we do not compete in the same space as retail fuel stations that regularly post a price, we do not present the pricing in the same way. One advantage of this is that it allows cardlock customers to track the fuel costs before taxes and allows them to track any tax changes that may occur from year to year.

I hope this clears up your questions. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free respond to this email or to contact the Pricing Group at 403-570-4466 or your local UFA Fuel Agency for further details or information.

Thank you and have a great day,

Daniel Greco
Petroleum Pricing Analyst
UFA Co-operative Limited

T: (403) 570-4466
F: (403) 570-4018
UFA.com
Old 08-11-2022, 09:07 AM

gas $1.409 today Lloydminster tax in

most everywhere else is $1.399 according to gas buddy that will take the heat off UFA

diesel everywhere Lloydminster $1.70 - $1.73

UFA goldcl $1.5465

still a substantial savings.

be interesting to see how they respond.

I will try co-op or esso again and see if there is any difference in dte