Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-28-2022, 10:59 PM

Default Hornady 7MM PRC info

Looks like the 7mm PRC is about half way between the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC

Seems like a nice balance. Time will tell.

Interested in everyones thoughts.

Here is a video on it

https://youtu.be/ZJ1nxcZtE_Y
Old 06-29-2022, 06:54 AM

They can't provide ammo for all the old calibers and now they're coming out with new one.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:53 AM

so many cartridges in that class already, give it a rest.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:13 PM

Default Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
so many cartridges in that class already, give it a rest.
You raise a good point. There are alot of choices. That being said I was considering a doing a .284 win build but after hearing this I might move to a 7mm PRC.

I know that Lapua makes 300PRC brass and 6.5 PRC brass. If they make 7mm PRC brass then as far as a 7 mil it becomes a no brainer then.

I should qualify that use would be critical in making a decision on cartridge. Any 7mm would do for hunting. However if a guy is doing a lot of target shooting then I think this cartridge has alot of appeal.

I would also like to add that I owned a 300PRC and enjoyed it. It could push 225gr ELD-M with a ballistic co-effiecent of (g1 .777 and g7 .391) at close to 3000fps.

It looks like the 7 PRC can push a 180gr ELD-M (G7 .796 and G1 .401) at near 3000 fps.

There is more performance with significant less recoil on the 7mm

Last edited by markg; 06-30-2022 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:20 PM
Banned

They should have just called it the 7 lrm
Old 07-01-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Except you aren’t tied to Gunwerks to use it. Lol
Old 07-08-2022, 08:51 PM

Default Pretty fair video assement of the 7PRC

I quite liked this review. Nice graphics on the sammi specs

https://youtu.be/1rLincWiJeM
Old 07-08-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
With Hornady’s backing it should make it’s way into the mainstream with factory rifles and ammo.

I’m debating getting one. I was looking at building a custom 7mm and it’s right in between the 7mm Rem Mag and 28 Nosler as far as velocity. But it’s throated for the longer ELD bullets.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:44 PM

Default why not

a 7mm Practical?
Old 07-08-2022, 09:49 PM

Default What rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
With Hornady’s backing it should make it’s way into the mainstream with factory rifles and ammo.

I’m debating getting one. I was looking at building a custom 7mm and it’s right in between the 7mm Rem Mag and 28 Nosler as far as velocity. But it’s throated for the longer ELD bullets.
You have and existing rifle? Or are you thinking of a new rifle?

If I was going to do it I would be leaning toward a Christensen Arms MPR. However I would be interested in any other recomendations. Seems like a rifle you could hunt with but would be fun on the range.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
You have and existing rifle? Or are you thinking of a new rifle?

If I was going to do it I would be leaning toward a Christensen Arms MPR. However I would be interested in any other recomendations. Seems like a rifle you could hunt with but would be fun on the range.
Thinking of building a custom in the next year or so.

Maybe a defiance anti-x action with a proof carbon barrel in a chassis or wildcat stock. I haven’t really put any time or research into it yet though.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:30 PM

My 7LRM will push a 180 Berger a lot faster than 3000. I don’t think I would buy the 7prc anytime soon
Old 07-09-2022, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

Hornady isn’t reinventing the wheel
They are just copying other peoples designs
Tweaking them a hair and calling them their own
Old 07-09-2022, 08:46 PM

A 7mm WSM in a long action
Old 08-08-2022, 03:13 PM

Default Interesting Test

A guy did a neat test. He took the exact same type of powder and same charge weight and loaded up a 7mm PRC and 7MM REM MAG the velocity results kinda of surprised me.

I know that barrel and chambering tolerances impact velocity. However the difference was notable. 100 FPS with the same powder charge is not insignificant.

https://youtu.be/ZMfGaRPaqMs

AS usual I look forward to your thoughts
Old 08-08-2022, 04:44 PM

Its all about selling more rifles.Most of the newer calibers are only marginally faster,or different than whats out there.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
A guy did a neat test. He took the exact same type of powder and same charge weight and loaded up a 7mm PRC and 7MM REM MAG the velocity results kinda of surprised me.

I know that barrel and chambering tolerances impact velocity. However the difference was notable. 100 FPS with the same powder charge is not insignificant.

I like Backfire. He tries to be objective and let’s the data speak for itself.

Interesting how the PRC outperforms the Rem Mag. I would imagine it’s attributed to a more efficient case design in a smaller case as well resulting in higher pressures.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:46 AM

If you want fast and loud in a 7, there is still nothing that beats the 7 RUM. With the 7 Rem Mag, 280 AI, 7 STW and 7 RUM, on long actions and the 7-08 and 7 WSM for short actions there really is no need for additional cartridges in between those options. Need versus want however is an entirely different question. Don't bother trying to rationalise why you NEED one, just buy it because you want it. Guns are easy to re-sell.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:

If the test was done using five or more rifles in each cartridge I might take more notice, but I have seen 100 FPS difference in two different rifles using the same load , several times in fact . Im one instance we found it in two 3006's and the other, two 270's. Both times factory rifles were used with the same load on the particular rifles and the same chronograph was used .

Cat
Old 08-09-2022, 03:31 PM

If they focus on putting ammo on shelves at reasonable prices, maybe. That was a major problem with the creedmoor, less so with the PRC. Did the lesson stick? Time will tell

It falls in a sweet spot for a hunting rifle, but so does the 7rm, and no one else has kept a new 7 cartridge in circulation. The 7rm and 7-08 always had appropriate twist rates and projectile weights…so the 6.5 complaints don’t apply. Do enough people care about killing deer with 180 gr vs 140-165 gr….I kinda doubt it.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:51 PM

Couldn’t watch the video. Guy sounds like he’s selling Ginsu knives at KDays.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:32 PM

Anybody building g a custom rifles of any type will be sure their smith uses a custom barrel with the proper twist for whatever cartridge and bullet they are using.
As far as off the rack guns go, I would be sticking with an older tried and true cartridge for sure if I was goi g to buy one.
Cat
Old 08-14-2023, 04:27 PM

I’m starting down the 7 PRC road right now. I will be building on a stainless lefty Tikka action. I have 4 other 7 mm rifles but I think this cartridge offers the best combination of speed and accuracy potential. I just sourced dies and some Hornady brass, will be ordering a JC prefit Tikka barrel as soon as I hear back from him on his chamber specs. I have a decent supply of 175 ABLR and ELD-X bullets and RL26. Should be an interesting adventure.

Just noticed some ADG brass for sale here…
Old 08-14-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I’m starting down the 7 PRC road right now. I will be building on a stainless lefty Tikka action. I have 4 other 7 mm rifles but I think this cartridge offers the best combination of speed and accuracy potential. I just sourced dies and some Hornady brass, will be ordering a JC prefit Tikka barrel as soon as I hear back from him on his chamber specs. I have a decent supply of 175 ABLR and ELD-X bullets and RL26. Should be an interesting adventure.

Just noticed some ADG brass for sale here…
Just so you know, if you are wanting to seat heavy bullets long you will be limited to 3.340” using a Tikka action.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Just so you know, if you are wanting to seat heavy bullets long you will be limited to 3.340” using a Tikka action.
Yes, thanks. I am aware of the mag length limitations of the Tikka…which is why I am waiting for chamber specs. From what I’ve read so far it should be okay with 175 bullets. I also have an old lefty stainless 700 Remington rifle (magnum action) in my safe…I just liked the simplicity of the prefit barrel on the Tikka action. I have several cool Tikka stocks on the go as well. The Remington is a bit more work and expense.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:43 PM

IF a person wants to run a "magnum" cartridge with heavy bullets, it likely has its values. I tend to be pretty content with my 7-08 or the 6.5CM these days, I have the 30R and the 300H&H if I want to run the heavier stuff. Not sure the PRC's offer the versatility I want, as I'm pretty content with the lighter bullets for range work, and they weren't really designed for that, so I question their versatility.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Yes, thanks. I am aware of the mag length limitations of the Tikka…which is why I am waiting for chamber specs. From what I’ve read so far it should be okay with 175 bullets. I also have an old lefty stainless 700 Remington rifle (magnum action) in my safe…I just liked the simplicity of the prefit barrel on the Tikka action. I have several cool Tikka stocks on the go as well. The Remington is a bit more work and expense.
I received the information on the chamber specs from JC. He has a Manson M1 reamer that has been dimensioned to eliminate the PRC clicker phenomenon and is optimum for 3.30” coal. I’m not a 7mm newbie: I have two 7-08’s, a 280 REM, a 7x61 S&H, a 7 RM and a 7 STW (since 1991). I can get the STW to push 175’s to 3150 easily but can’t get ABLR or ELD-X bullets anywhere close to the lands (and it’s a Rem 700 action) and accuracy is not as good as I would like. I like the modern efficient case design, chamber specs and fast twist rifling to shoot high BC bullets. Long story shortened- barrel deposit is sent.

As to the question do I need another rifle? Well of course not. Do I want one? You bet.

Last edited by brewster29; 08-20-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:48 PM

I have shot the 7 prc and the 300 prc i like the 300 better. But i will never give up my 300 win mag
Old 08-22-2023, 08:18 AM

Finally found some decent priced ammo and got my 7PRC Christensen arms mesa long range rigged up and ready to go, mounted a Nightforce NX8 2.5 - 20 x 50mm, did the barrel break in and shot some groups with 180gr ELDM and 175gr ELDX hornady factory ammo both of which produced very respectable 100 yard groups.

7PRC - 175gr ELDX.jpg

7PRC - 180gr ELDM.jpg

I pulled the last round with the 180's so that opened up the group a bit, but the 175gr has 4 holes touching. Our range here only goes to 300 so couldn't really wring it out but the coyote gong at 300 took a whipping. I plan on getting down to nose hill next week and see what it will do way out there, so far so good.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-22-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Finally found some decent priced ammo and got my 7PRC Christensen arms mesa long range rigged up and ready to go, mounted a Nightforce NX8 2.5 - 20 x 50mm, did the barrel break in and shot some groups with 180gr ELDM and 175gr ELDX hornady factory ammo both of which produced very respectable 100 yard groups.

I pulled the last round with the 180's so that opened up the group a bit, but the 175gr has 4 holes touching. Our range here only goes to 300 so couldn't really wring it out but the coyote gong at 300 took a whipping. I plan on getting down to nose hill next week and see what it will do way out there, so far so good.
What was velocity?

I have my rig out yesterday for the first time.

180 ELD-M factory ammo was around 3000fps and overpressure. Ejector marks and sticky bolt. Groups were MOA and under

175 ELD-X was around 2780fps and under MOA.