Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-27-2022, 07:53 AM
AO Sponsor

You will likely see the words “selective demand” describing the coyote sale. Not nearly enough coyotes sold to make a fair average.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:41 AM

The $55 coyote average would work out at $68 Ca money. Probably represents good Alberta average. Anyone got any marten, fisher and lynx numbers?
Old 03-27-2022, 10:17 AM

Not sure who sold 40 for a 55 average but that’s far from what I’m hearing.
I sent 70 and only 9 sold. Average of $38 usd with two selling for $13.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose slayer10 View Post
Not sure who sold 40 for a 55 average but that’s far from what I’m hearing.
I sent 70 and only 9 sold. Average of $38 usd with two selling for $13.
x2 if he sold that many for that high thats amazing. Nothing but crap and lower ones sold that i"ve seen. My top one was 55 and I ave 40 with not many sold.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:07 AM

55 sold for average of 48usd
The only select that sold was top lot for 112
Few #1s sold and all the “damaged” as well. 😠

Last edited by Powder monkey; 03-27-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:22 PM

Default FHA auction

The gentleman that sold 40 dogs for a $55 average was a Hutterite friend of mine. I don’t think he’d B.S. me.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:26 PM

Default FHA auction.

Just talked to my buddy. He says he sold 32 of the 40 coyotes he had at auction. He did get a $55 US average on the ones that sold. Sorry if I didn’t give the whole story correctly the first time. Personally, I sold 103 of my own to a local buyer for $35 apiece. They were either whole frozen or rough skinned and frozen only.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 03-27-2022 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 03-27-2022, 06:20 PM

Anybody see or hear how red fox did today?
Old 03-27-2022, 11:01 PM

Yikes. Always hated that "unsold" part of it...I'm sure you sent your fur in top shape and brushed out like I always did. Once it's deemed "unsold" you never really know how it's stored or what the deal is. I always thought the auction house should send it back to you like you did to them in the first place. Better to have the fruits of your labor back in your hands again than get a check for 5 bux a couple years later for a long forgotten piece of fur that you put the time and effort into.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:34 AM

Beavers are updated now. Definitely a small increase in price. And most sold is the big thing.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:14 AM

Default FHA are ctoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Yikes. Always hated that "unsold" part of it...I'm sure you sent your fur in top shape and brushed out like I always did. Once it's deemed "unsold" you never really know how it's stored or what the deal is. I always thought the auction house should send it back to you like you did to them in the first place. Better to have the fruits of your labor back in your hands again than get a check for 5 bux a couple years later for a long forgotten piece of fur that you put the time and effort into.
That’s what a don’t like too. Once your fur is gone, it’s out of your hands and at the mercy of the market whims. At least if you have it, you can store it properly and wait of a possible market improvement. You could also tan it, and sell it in that manner.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
That’s what a don’t like too. Once your fur is gone, it’s out of your hands and at the mercy of the market whims. At least if you have it, you can store it properly and wait of a possible market improvement. You could also tan it, and sell it in that manner.
To much logistics for this to work, when they are already planning for the next sale. Would you pay for them to ship it back? who would be expected to ? The fur is being stored in a controlled atmosphere which is probably better than most people garages. Unfortunately we made the choice to ship there expecting a better price than selling to the local buyer that would have put cash in your hand. Most times it works out. Your fur is graded and will stay in those grades for the next sale.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:29 AM
AO Sponsor

Cross fox did very well, reds picked up nicely but still some unsold. Silvers good too. Wolves looked like they did well too.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
To much logistics for this to work, when they are already planning for the next sale. Would you pay for them to ship it back? who would be expected to ? The fur is being stored in a controlled atmosphere which is probably better than most people garages. Unfortunately we made the choice to ship there expecting a better price than selling to the local buyer that would have put cash in your hand. Most times it works out. Your fur is graded and will stay in those grades for the next sale.
Exactly this!
I would rather my fur stay there in their controlled environment, instead of my place where I could package them as well as could be done and all it takes is for me to go away for a week in the summer +30 weather and the freezer quits. Now all that fur is worth nothing but fire starter.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:06 PM

We had 4 marten and 1 ermine unsold left from last year. Only shipped 10 coyotes this year 7 unsold and 55.00 US for the others. I'm okay with leaving fur with them for proper storage, but when NAFA cleared out and the checks were no good........well .
Old 03-28-2022, 06:44 PM

FHA can store hides better than I can ..

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2022, 06:55 PM
AO Sponsor

Actually a freezer is much better than a cooler. Frozen stretched and dried fur will remain fresh for many years if properly fleshed/put-up, whereas in a cooler the skins will rapidly oxidize and go stale. But it does cost money to run freezers, especially old ones.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:21 PM

Auction results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB2BEA2B-F8FE-458F-800B-ABA9D5CCED8F.jpg (18.9 KB, 129 views)
Old 03-29-2022, 10:38 AM

Very discouraging marten, fisher , lynx and especially coyotes. Our gas and diesel prices have doubled and our fur prices have dropped to half $$.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:19 PM

I didn't trap coyotes this season and based on the current sale results that was a good decision.
As much as I enjoy it... there has to be a profit otherwise I have to subsidize the hobby and that's not fair to my pocket book.
I'd expect at least $90 -$100 average to make it worthwhile in todays economy.
For the 100 coyotes that I would usually harvest, they will now multiply into at least another 3-400

Last edited by AlbertaAl; 03-29-2022 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-29-2022, 10:34 PM
AO Sponsor

Todays market is likely just a lull that is not limited to just coyotes or just wild fur etc. The whole fur world has been slow all winter stemming from covid lockdowns not limited to China. Now the Ukraine mess on top of things.

I wouldnt be too quick to write the industry off yet. It is in a lull state at the moment until business and inventories catch up from the covid lockdown backlog. It looks bad at the moment and its been horrible at times to live in China when your city is locked down. You never see it in the main stream media much, the seas of buses hauling people away to the oceans of 20’ shipping containers turned covid quarantine facilities, meanwhile those under literal lockdown orders in their apartment buildings not allowed out even for food, many with next to nothing for food. Many of our customers overseas much more concerned with filling the house with food prior to the next lockdown rather than pleasure shopping.

I talked at length with one chinese fur guy early in the season, he knew of three outfits alone that needed 10,000 coyotes each, pre-china-covid-2022-lockdown. During lockdown they all decided to wait and see, knowing their sales would be way off, and are anticipating wanting skins in August. Is it true? Hope so! But I have no idea. Hopefully they want western canadian goods, not all the yucky American stuff!

The ranch mink sales have been quite stagnant. Not that the market is dead, its just on hold. Meanwhile it would help the whole fur world if them fricking europeans would lay off of increasing the herds?????? Like let the market recover before first, instead of constantly pounding blunt nails thru its heart???? Are we just stoopid???? Yes???? Thot so but please stop anyways?????

One of the best things we could do at this point potentially is hold skins back from market. Unloading volumes now could potentially create a glut or contribute to the leftovers problem from last year… did the nice chinese dude have contracts for his 250,000 left overs? Or are they going to haunt us? Hopefully the goose people are still using them up, pre-bought before the big deadine. How is one to find out? Answer: you dont!

However if it is a fallen/falling market, permanently then unload ASAP. Personally im not convinced of that.

It likely isnt over. The perceived highest paying buyer on the continent has been telling folks things (coyotes) are going right back up next season. Another perceived industry heavyweight claims the Italians want to keep the price high so as to protect the price of their inventories made from expensive skins.
Meanwhile other heavyweights scoff at such reports. Nobody actually knows

Wait and see, what else is there to do? Praying could help!!!
Old 03-30-2022, 06:41 AM

Some more sales in private treaty. My account was just updated with few more sold.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:36 AM

Bobcats didn't sell at last years evaluation, I had 4 held over that they valued at 900 a piece an they sold this auction at 525 a piece. Just glad they sold I guess. All other fur from this season found another home. I believe Marty is right when the world gets its **** figured out there will be lots of money people will want to spend. Keep trapping, buyers want big volumes to fill orders. If there isn't engulf wild fur to meet there need they look to ranch fur to have a consistent product.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:12 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2022, 10:35 AM

Man those are gorgeous cats. Skunks is where it's at boys. I ave 18.53 us on mine, worth more than beavers and a fraction of the work.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beauty cats Rod ..

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2022, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Man those are gorgeous cats. Skunks is where it's at boys. I ave 18.53 us on mine, worth more than beavers and a fraction of the work.
About skunks.....Do buyer’s care about primeness or, being a novelty item, should you trap them all summer long. I know the value of the essence.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:50 AM

Default results

https://www.furharvesters.com/result.../march22us.pdf
Old 04-01-2022, 07:56 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
About skunks.....Do buyer’s care about primeness or, being a novelty item, should you trap them all summer long. I know the value of the essence.
People generally like the prime skunks, with NAFA grade was based on colour of stripes and primeness.

White stripes = Win!!!

Yellow stripes = 🤮

The big dollar skunks are ideally 3XL-2XL white stripes and prime for people building mitts and hats. Many do end up as wallhangers but $1-3$ ideally is what they want to pay. Theyll buy your summer skunks for a buck or two

Serious shortage on good skunks since NAFA ended.

I got 100 FHA skunks tanned here or so if anyone needs any
Old 04-02-2022, 07:36 PM

Nice to see Alberta castor selling for $120/lb.