Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2021, 09:32 PM

Default National Parks Poachers

Just came across this channel on YouTube, two guys who claim to do survival / bush craft videos, and this one video / series takes place on a lake in Banff National Park. The lake is not mentioned but I know which lake it is. Several infractions are committed, including the use of drones, keeping of fish where it's not allowed, use of bait, probably random camping. Feel free to share the videos far and wide in order to shame these people, and if you happen to know these guys don't hesitate to tell them what useless trash they are.

Also, Parks Canada is fully aware and are investigating.

Update: Both individuals, Greg Ovens and Zachary Fowler, were contestants on season 3 of Alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB8LlILAo40&t=5517s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RZ7...vCTPR&index=24

Last edited by fishpro; 07-04-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:26 PM

They need to be locked up !
Old 07-05-2021, 04:06 PM

I'd like to hear what PARKS says!
Old 07-05-2021, 04:40 PM

I find this hard to believe. Which lake is this supposed to be? Mountain lakes all look very similar on most video clips.

I think they were somewhere in the Columbia valley area between Invermere and Cranbrook.

Also they would have to be very dumb to put up a video of themselves on You Tube if it was in the park.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:47 PM

I can guarantee for survivalists they would of brought worms with them and not dug them up at a mountain lake.

Worms are introduced and found only around where people have lived for some time.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-05-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I find this hard to believe. Which lake is this supposed to be? Mountain lakes all look very similar on most video clips.

I think they were somewhere in the Columbia valley area between Invermere and Cranbrook.

Also they would have to be very dumb to put up a video of themselves on You Tube if it was in the park.
I'll send you a pm with the name of the lake, but the footage compared with pics a friend has, not to mention the drone shots compared to Google Maps, makes it very clear.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod View Post
they need to be locked up !
why??????
Old 07-05-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
I'll send you a pm with the name of the lake, but the footage compared with pics a friend has, not to mention the drone shots compared to Google Maps, makes it very clear.
I scoped out the satellite photos with the shows footage including aerial and it is definitely the lake you say it is.

Ya. Definitely not allowed bait there. Also they exceeded their limit assuming they had licences. Set line is also illegal. Illegal to keep fishing after reaching one’s limit. They need a permit to fly drones in the park boundary. Fires are only allowed in designated fire pits when a ban is not in effect. Cutting down of trees is illegal. Building a structure is illegal.

These guys are idiots.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-05-2021, 10:09 PM

The whole thing seems just so very odd. These guys have a large viewership, sponsors and a plethora of places to go that aren't as restrictive as a park setting to sustain them for a month, especially in summer.

I'm a little skeptic to the level of ignorance that seems to be on full display here, my gut says there has to be some sort of catch or misinformation. Interested to see how this one plays out.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
The whole thing seems just so very odd. These guys have a large viewership, sponsors and a plethora of places to go that aren't as restrictive as a park setting to sustain them for a month, especially in summer.

I'm a little skeptic to the level of ignorance that seems to be on full display here, my gut says there has to be some sort of catch or misinformation. Interested to see how this one plays out.
Question is can someone who should know better screw up?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fishi...gling-1.165298

Do these guys even know there are rules and strive to follow them or just do what they want?

Time will tell.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:16 PM

Good thing you got a sharp Eye Fishpro. glad these turkeys got caught and hopefully get whats coming to them.

The audacity of some trying for fame and fortune or just for plain greed at the expense of everyone who follows the law saddens me.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Do these guys even know there are rules and strive to follow them or just do what they want?

Time will tell.
I've got a feeling these guys will be getting a lot more than an $800 fine...
Old 07-05-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Good thing you got a sharp Eye Fishpro. glad these turkeys got caught and hopefully get whats coming to them.

The audacity of some trying for fame and fortune or just for plain greed at the expense of everyone who follows the law saddens me.
I wasn't the first to find it, a friend came across it yesterday. Supposedly it's been in the courts for 8 months.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Time will tell.
These guys might have absolutley known better and broke the law anyways. But with the hyper speed info travels along the internet it would take a different level of dumb. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt...
Old 07-05-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
These guys might have absolutley known better and broke the law anyways. But with the hyper speed info travels along the internet it would take a different level of dumb. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt...
Supposedly it's been in the courts for eight months, so I think there was definitely a good amount of illegal activity going on. There's enough imagery to confirm the location too, I think we're dealing with a pretty big case here.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Supposedly it's been in the courts for eight months, so I think there was definitely a good amount of illegal activity going on. There's enough imagery to confirm the location too, I think we're dealing with a pretty big case here.
If that is the case then wow is all I really have to say to that... different level of dumb.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:54 AM

Default Wonder if it’s the same guy 🤔

http://www.eab.gov.bc.ca/wildlife/91_13.pdf
Old 07-06-2021, 07:17 AM

I’m thinking that product suppliers who get behind theses kind of guys should be taken to task.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I can guarantee for survivalists they would of brought worms with them and not dug them up at a mountain lake.

Worms are introduced and found only around where people have lived for some time.
Are you saying worms are a domestic animal? Worms of one kind of or other can be found everywhere including mountain lakes.

I believe this youtuber is bc based and most of his videos are filmed there.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:33 AM

What is the mystery lake that is not mentioned? My deduction from the videos are that they are shot in the East Kootenays. Ovens video (first link) says he is from Canal Flats. Fowlers video (second link) says "This time I went up to The BC Side of the Canadian Rockies with fellow History channel Alone show alumni Greg ovens". Maybe they went over a pass and into BNP but it seems a far stretch to go hours north of Canal Flats when there are lots of places to film in closer the East Koots. I could be wrong though.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
What is the mystery lake that is not mentioned? My deduction from the videos are that they are shot in the East Kootenays. Ovens video (first link) says he is from Canal Flats. Fowlers video (second link) says "This time I went up to The BC Side of the Canadian Rockies with fellow History channel Alone show alumni Greg ovens". Maybe they went over a pass and into BNP but it seems a far stretch to go hours north of Canal Flats when there are lots of places to film in closer the East Koots. I could be wrong though.
I know exactly where the mystery lake is. And it is accessible from Canal Flats.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Are you saying worms are a domestic animal? Worms of one kind of or other can be found everywhere including mountain lakes.

I believe this youtuber is bc based and most of his videos are filmed there.
Actually they are a non native invasive. There are no worms at the lake he fished. He would of brought a bait container.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
I know exactly where the mystery lake is. And it is accessible from Canal Flats.
Nope. You can use you map app to look at the lake you think it is and then compare to the aerial drone video.

The lake is in the national park along the BC Alberta border.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Nope. You can use you map app to look at the lake you think it is and then compare to the aerial drone video.

Dont even need mapping or ariel drone video. The Google image that pops up when you google the lake is the exact mountain pictured in the second Youtube video quite prominently.

Hope these guys get thumped hard.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion. I thought mapleleafman was referring to the other lake they hike into in one of the videos. The main lake discussed in this thread is definitely in the NP, it's pretty obvious.

Another illegal act was killing the gophers in BC. They are only open on private land with permission.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Also they exceeded their limit assuming they had licences.
I'm pretty sure this is the year that Banff implemented the zero fish retention regulation, with the exception of minewanka lakers, due to "whirling disease". So in this case, every fish they kept out of "Grizzly Lake", was poached
Old 07-07-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the year that Banff implemented the zero fish retention regulation, with the exception of minewanka lakers, due to "whirling disease". So in this case, every fish they kept out of "Grizzly Lake", was poached
Cutthroats have also been all catch and release in Banff for years.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:07 PM

Where can I find info on the court case?
Old 07-07-2021, 07:49 PM

Default Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Where can I find info on the court case?
I tried searching the court cases and this is what i found. http://www.eab.gov.bc.ca/wildlife/91_13.pdf

Apparently this is not the first time “greg ovens” has broken the law
Old 07-09-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:

You’re surprised, really?? Just look at the brain dead idiot running our country, suppress natural selection, then the idiot genes are passed down, and idiots like this are what we end up with.......