Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Best trolling motor battery

Directing my dad on getting a new battery for a trolling motor.

It’s a 30 something pound thrust motor I think and will be pushing a 14’ tinner

What’s the best place to get one and a fair price to pay?

How many hours use would a guy get out of a setup like that at trolling speeds?
Old 03-18-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Directing my dad on getting a new battery for a trolling motor.

It’s a 30 something pound thrust motor I think and will be pushing a 14’ tinner

What’s the best place to get one and a fair price to pay?

How many hours use would a guy get out of a setup like that at trolling speeds?
Perfect timing for this thread, I picked up a 50lb Minkota late last summer for the alum flat back canoe. I need to buy a good battery as well. Watching with interest.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:42 AM

Most people recommend Costco batteries which may be made by Interstate, good price and warranty
Old 03-18-2021, 11:25 AM

I agree with interstate batteries - for the price/value they can't be beat. There are "bigger, better, lighter, more Ahs, more shock proof, choices out there, but it comes at a cost that simply isn't worth it when you can buy 2 interstates (that will result in longer run times) for the price of one premium AGM deep cycle.

As far as your question on how long it will last. The output load how high you have to crank it up (speed), your hull displacement (how hard it is to push through the water,) the amount the wind and waves fight you to maintain your line/speed, etc all play a factor.

On a windy day in that set up, if you have it cranked and fighting, you may only get 3 hours off it, on a calm day, if you are slow trolling and stopping occasionally, you may have half your battery life left at the end of the day.

Short answer is, on average, 3-14 hours - and I realize that's a HUGE gap - but that's the reality here. Lots of things to consider. I had 2 interstates (one connected and one spare) in my 14' SSV set up and was never out of juice. Always pulled the one out when I came inshore and back to camp and swapped it out with the full (or the one on the charger).

On windy days and when I knew I'd be out for a while, I brought them both down to the boat so I had a swap out spare.

I have had all sorts of boats, set ups, and 20+ years to come to that conclusion.

Last edited by EZM; 03-18-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:31 AM

The Costco app doesn’t seem to show individual batteries to purchase but looking at the warranties you might actually be better off buying regular lead acid starting batteries, cheaper and way better warranty.

🤷🏻*♂️
Old 03-18-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
The Costco app doesn’t seem to show individual batteries to purchase but looking at the warranties you might actually be better off buying regular lead acid starting batteries, cheaper and way better warranty.

🤷🏻*♂️
The problem with regular starter cranking batteries is they don't do well over time when they are discharged repeatedly all the way down to near zero and charged back up. After a short time, they develop issues and you loose performance rapidly.

The deep cycle batteries are a must have in my opinion as they are designed to be discharged all the way down and charged back up repeatedly.

I'm not a battery expert, but that's my understanding of it.

These batteries are two different designs, performance characteristics, longevity/life per application and other trade offs.

Also, the interstates are heavy core lead acid type - that what makes them perfect - reasonably cheap for a good deep cycle but heavy enough to hold charge and to receive one repeatedly.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:11 PM

The best battery's are lithium if and when they become affordable

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/140701

I've has good luck with the interstates
Old 03-18-2021, 01:42 PM

costco kirkland deep cycle battery i think it around $100 , 5 year warranty
Old 03-18-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The best battery's are lithium if and when they become affordable

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/140701

I've has good luck with the interstates
If I was sugar daddy pimp rich .......... at $1300 each .......... I'd buy 2!!!!

for now - it's interstates for me. Twice as heavy, 25% the capacity and 10% of the cost !!!!
Old 03-18-2021, 01:56 PM

I use the Costco Kirkland one on my son's 12' Lund with a 30 lb thrust Endura and it will move me around trout ponds for pretty well the full day with two of us in the boat. We are on smaller bodies of water though, so not a lot of wind and waves to combat.

I also use the Kirkland batteries in my boat lift and they have done well for me there. They are heavy, but I got a MinnKota battery box with the external terminals and a battery meter on it to make them easier to move around and charge up. It also adds a 12v cigarette charge port.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-18-2021, 02:03 PM

I’d stay away from Canadian Tire Moto Master Battery’s I’ve had no luck with them seem to fail right after the warranty ends. Trying Force now as their deep cycle in my camper lasted 4 years.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:00 PM

Ironically - seems everyone on here is recommending Interstate or Kirkland (Costco) batteries ......... guess what I just read .......

The Costco - Kirkland brand deep cycle batteries are usually Interstate which is owned by Johnson controls.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:19 PM

I've been looking for a trolling motor lithium battery - but can't find any of the Dakota's that Cabelas lists as 'out of stock'. Any ideas where they're available - or a similar brad of lithiums?
I know they're expensive, but it's their relatively light weight that I find most attractive.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I've been looking for a trolling motor lithium battery - but can't find any of the Dakota's that Cabelas lists as 'out of stock'. Any ideas where they're available - or a similar brad of lithiums?
I know they're expensive, but it's their relatively light weight that I find most attractive.
Try their website or Facebook for a Canadian source, they would be the best option for a trolling motor,
Old 03-18-2021, 05:03 PM

EMZ has it right, just buy the Costco deep cycle 12 v and look after it or them.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:37 PM

I had a 12 volt green interstate deep cycle for 8 years.Used it on a 10' wide Spratley,always recharged after using it.Check the fluids etc.$ 110.00 at auto value .55 LB Thrust Traxxis Minn Kota
Old 03-18-2021, 05:48 PM

This year will be the 8th year of use for a Nautilus Ultra AGM deep cycle. Lasts all day for a mix of trolling and motoring to anchor locations with a 14 ft canoe.

About double the cost of a lead-acid battery and a bit heavier, but considering 50 to 70 outings per year seems to be good!

I carry the charger in the truck so I can charge up on the trip back home and the trip back to the lake.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:47 PM

I know there are some small advantages to deep cycle vs regular starting batteries but this makes me wonder if those slight performance advantages are worth it.

Regular battery is cheaper upfront and has a 48 month replacement warranty from Costco and they will even refund you 25% of purchase price up to 100 months (that’s kind of mind blowing really)

Marine battery from Costco only has. 12 month replacement warranty.

For the few fishing trips this thing would see in a year it might be better to go with the largest capacity starting battery? 🤷🏻*♂️ I’m just speculating.

(I know it works because I have a friend that uses the battery out of his tractor for his trolling motor without issue)

It’d be great to test them side by side and see what the performance difference really was.

I might have to email Project Farm. 🤣🤣
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 409883CA-0D9C-478A-894B-280F4E5D4039.jpg (16.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-18-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Try their website or Facebook for a Canadian source, they would be the best option for a trolling motor,
Tried their website and spoke with a rep - said they only deal with Cabelas in Canada. Spoke with Cabelas.ca, and they only have one in stock at their Winnipeg store - and would not ship to Alberta.

I'm hoping there's other, similar lithium batteries available here in S Alberta.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:05 PM

Johnson controls or exide manufacture most every battery brand out there.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Tried their website and spoke with a rep - said they only deal with Cabelas in Canada. Spoke with Cabelas.ca, and they only have one in stock at their Winnipeg store - and would not ship to Alberta.

I'm hoping there's other, similar lithium batteries available here in S Alberta.
Nothing in AB yet on the Dakota website they list four dealers in Canada

https://dakotalithium.com/find-a-dealer-store-locator/

Lone Butte in BC showing one in stock
Old 03-19-2021, 07:32 AM

CANBAT is another company for lithium batteries online. Canadian energy stocks lithium as well. Not sure about trolling size in stock but they have atv stuff so worth a phone call.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:43 PM

Has anyone purchased lithium batteries from ablithium.ca . There 12 v 100ah deep cycle batteries are cheaper than the Dakota 54 ah ones.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nothing in AB yet on the Dakota website they list four dealers in Canada

https://dakotalithium.com/find-a-dealer-store-locator/

Lone Butte in BC showing one in stock
These are supposed to be fabulous
Old 03-19-2021, 05:16 PM

Aside from a new battery maybe someone could impart some wisdom on a little gadget called a rheostat.
My FIL had a very simple dial rheostat mounted on his boat and he would hook it up inline to one of the battery wires running to the electric trolling motor. He could turn down the juice, voltage?, from the battery and get 3 or 4 extra hours out of a deep cycle battery. He could turn up the rheostat if he needed full power. I don't really know much about rheostats but they might be a good cheap investment. The FIL's set up worked great. We'd take 2 batteries in the boat and be good for a full day. Can anyone elaborate better on an inline rheostat for a trolling motor?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-19-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Aside from a new battery maybe someone could impart some wisdom on a little gadget called a rheostat.
My FIL had a very simple dial rheostat mounted on his boat and he would hook it up inline to one of the battery wires running to the electric trolling motor. He could turn down the juice, voltage?, from the battery and get 3 or 4 extra hours out of a deep cycle battery. He could turn up the rheostat if he needed full power. I don't really know much about rheostats but they might be a good cheap investment. The FIL's set up worked great. We'd take 2 batteries in the boat and be good for a full day. Can anyone elaborate better on an inline rheostat for a trolling motor?
It’s basically a dimmer switch , you only draw the amount of power you need . The better trolling motors have them built in but the cheaper ones don’t and they will drain your battery faster. I ordered the parts off of Amazon and will attempt to build my own PWM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJSEc_SS2Vk

Last edited by Dark Wing; 03-19-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
It’s basically a dimmer switch , you only draw the amount of power you need . The better trolling motors have them built in but the cheaper ones don’t and they will drain your battery faster. I ordered the parts off of Amazon and will attempt to build my own PWM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJSEc_SS2Vk
That looks alot more elaborate than what we used. Very nice. Definitely coolest.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-20-2021, 08:50 AM

Off-the-grid-solar.com has a bunch of lithium battery options. Might be worth looking into. Most of their prices seem pretty decent.

QUOTE=thumper;4349069]I've been looking for a trolling motor lithium battery - but can't find any of the Dakota's that Cabelas lists as 'out of stock'. Any ideas where they're available - or a similar brad of lithiums?
I know they're expensive, but it's their relatively light weight that I find most attractive.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-20-2021, 05:35 PM

One consideration would be whether tipping the deep cycle battery is possible (thinking canoes). My preference is for a Gel battery on that basis. Also do not forget the charging system!

The best battery for an electric motor is a charged one!!

Vic
Old 03-20-2021, 06:20 PM
Banned

Default Just to add...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Ironically - seems everyone on here is recommending Interstate or Kirkland (Costco) batteries ......... guess what I just read .......

The Costco - Kirkland brand deep cycle batteries are usually Interstate which is owned by Johnson controls.
Interstate Batteries, is a US privately owned battery marketing and distribution company.

Interstate Batteries, manufactured by Johnson Controls, are the #1 automotive replacement batteries in America with 15 million batteries sold every year
As EZM points out Kirkland is there as well