Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2022, 10:38 AM

If the amount of new people taking their PAL and RPAL course indicates anything, I`m sure there is a back log for approvals. My son just completed his RPAL and I was talking to the instructor. He said they were doing a course 1-2 times a month before all the BS with covid and trudope. He said he now has 80 year old grandma`s getting their gun licence. They are now running courses every weekend.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:28 AM

Default Pretty fast

Submitted rpal renewal Jan 28 2022. Got back from Mexico March 18 and it was in box waiting for me.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:20 PM

How early should a guy send in for renewal? Mine expires in a year from now and want to give myself a reminder so I don't forget again.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
How early should a guy send in for renewal? Mine expires in a year from now and want to give myself a reminder so I don't forget again.
If you are doing your renewal online they are usually pretty quick, myself I would do it 3-4 months in advance. If you plan on mailing it in I would do it 6 months prior.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If you are doing your renewal online they are usually pretty quick, myself I would do it 3-4 months in advance. If you plan on mailing it in I would do it 6 months prior.
Thank you, I was thinking the 6 months as well.
Next winter I will plan to do it online.

Cheers.
Old 04-02-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbird View Post
PAL application received early December, CC charged mid Jan, still on "completed the initial review" stage as of today.
Just an update here for anyone with my similar timelines. Called the main line and it's been sent to the CFO, so there's been some progress!

About the CFO number I could find listed online... I don't think you actually get the CFO office with that 9026 extension because the kind lady on the other end was talking about the application being with the "your" CFO and how "your provice" changed things recently leading to some big delays while the new system is settled and staff get experience. She was very nice and helpful, but from the way she was talking I got the impression she's distinctly not in the CFO, maybe that's common knowledge but it was news to me at least.

Anyway. They said it was being reviewed by the CFO currently but they couldn't tell where it was in the queue, it could be #5 or #500 so to call back in a couple of months if I don't hear anything. She also advised me that at this point the online portal wouldn't be changing at all from the "passed initial review" message until I got issued the card, as even if there was more information the CFO wanted it wouldn't be reflected on the portal.

So that means to date:

Dec 6 PAL application received
Mid Jan: Available on portal, card charged
~End of March: Sent to CFO

Maybe, just maybe I'll be able to get a firearm before the summer is over lol!
Old 04-25-2022, 11:52 AM
AO Sponsor

Just keeping everyone up on times... I submitted for an RPAL back in early January. This was not a renewal technically but a new issue. I previously held an FAC back in the 90's/early 2000's that expired in 2001 but never ever held a PAL.

I never had to redo the courses as back when I did mine in 95/96 time frame the one course covered you for both non-restricted and restricted, and after a call to the RCMP to confirm, they did agree my original course was still valid to submit for an RPAL as is so I went ahead and did that.

Logging in online it showed them receiving my application on Jan 14/2022. On March 10 it showed that the initial review had begun and I would only be contacted if there were any issues with my application. Today, April 25 I logged in and it now says my license has been processed and issued and I should see it within two weeks, so basically just under 3.5 months from start to finish.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-05-2022, 02:15 PM

So finally some progress, I'm on the verge of being 3 weeks expired (applied for renewal in January), called and used the Alberta CFO extension and spoke to a lady who explained that besides their backlog, the sticking point was my club membership status. So I emailed her a copy and she assured me she approved it and the physical card would be on its way soon.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:54 PM
AO Sponsor

I just got my RPAL in the mail… basically 3.5 months application to receiving.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-05-2022, 06:38 PM

I just did my renewal online. Took about 6 weeks.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:31 PM
Banned

Just received my license. Took 2 months. Called the hotline after the 1st month passed; was told it might make the license process faster if you send in your range membership (for RPAL anyways).
Old 05-05-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I just got my RPAL in the mail… basically 3.5 months application to receiving.

Now the real fun begins.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:23 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Now the real fun begins.
Don't let my wife hear you... Already have an MKIV Series 70 Gold Cup National Match Colt 1911 .45ACP and a Dan Henry .357 revolver with my name on them that were waiting for this card to arrive so as to get them in my hands!

Now I am researching all the different lefty rifles I "NEED" outside of that 30.06...

The sickness is real!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 05-19-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
everyone should do their renewal online !! Get it back in 2 weeks .
My PAL/RPAL renewal went in online on Jan 25, exactly 6 months from the expiry date, today is May 19 and I still have not received it. When I check online the message states that they have received it and are processing it.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:10 PM

Default RPAL renewal timeline

My renewal was sent in at the end of March. I received the new card near the end of April. Pretty much 30 days.
kidd
Old 06-03-2022, 03:37 PM

Still waiting since Dec. 6. Contacted my MP to get the ball rolling on their involvement. I assume it's all hands on deck for transfers so new applications are going to get left in the dust.

Last edited by Rainbird; 06-03-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:35 PM

Default Help Needed

My wife was doing her PAL renewal online,finished the questions,then the system bounced her out of the page and would not allow her to proceed with payment,she has Emailed the RCMP,we have both tried calling,I even called the Edm branch and the officer said it is all being handled by the AB Gov,not even sure what he meant by that statement as the RCMP firearm renewal is in Ont or am I missing something,anyone have answers on how to make the payment now before her pal expires,thank you for any and all help on this issue

Last edited by birdseye; 06-08-2022 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar
Old 06-08-2022, 04:04 PM

Default Call answered

I guess the process is to call the main firearm registry number until your call gets answered,took numerous calls and time but it’s all done and worth it in the long run.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:51 PM

Renewed online. Four weeks.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:06 PM

Some more recent anecdotes: A friend and his dad both applied approx 3 months ago for brand new PALs, not renewals. His dad received his already, friend has not.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:17 PM

Just got mine last week. Application was done online and it took about 4-5 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosseye View Post
Update: NEW PAL was finally received today. The total time was approximately 9 months.
Ouch, wife just mailed her application off today. Was hoping to get it before hunting season but not looking good.

Renewals are a lot quicker for sure, haven't had any issues with mine and get them pretty fast.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:18 AM

I applied for an RPAL renewal jan.18 and after multiple calls I was informed it was just approved and I should see it in a couple weeks. So about 6 months for me.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:36 AM

Still waiting since december 6th unfortunately.

I can't get through to the CFO and my MP's constituency folks have hit so many walls trying to talk to them that they're speaking to counterparts in public safety canada and higher up in the RCMP about it to rattle some cages.

I guess most MP's offices would let it lay but this treatment really annoyed mine lol. Maybe this will lead to some changes? Probably not but it's a nice thought.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:55 PM

Default 1 mo

just renewed mine on-line & took just over 1 month. I am pleasantly surprised after hearing other horror stories.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosseye View Post
Anyone recently get a PAL? just wondering how long the processing time was. Application for a non restricted PAL was submitted July of 2020 and still waiting. Paid an updated fee, a buck or 2, still waiting.....

wow I did mine in May and got it back a week ago
Old 07-30-2022, 06:19 AM

Mime was here within a few days of a month.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:02 PM

Thumbs up Pal Renewal

Submitted non restricted PAL renewal on line June 27th received in the mail July 29th . Things hopefully are improving
Old 08-09-2022, 08:29 AM

Just pulling this forward to see if anyone can provide contact points that we can follow up on with my wife’s renewal application.
• RPAL was to expire mid May 2022 so she applied in March
• Records show her application was received and the credit card charged
• Tried the Alberta CFO and the only option was a voice mail – no response to the message left
• Email to the application centre has not been answered
She is 7 months waiting now
I applied for renewal 2nd week of July and received mine yesterday.
Any tips on who to contact would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Just pulling this forward to see if anyone can provide contact points that we can follow up on with my wife’s renewal application.
• RPAL was to expire mid May 2022 so she applied in March
• Records show her application was received and the credit card charged
• Tried the Alberta CFO and the only option was a voice mail – no response to the message left
• Email to the application centre has not been answered
She is 7 months waiting now
I applied for renewal 2nd week of July and received mine yesterday.
Any tips on who to contact would be appreciated.
Bummer. You could *try* with your MP but the Alberta CFO is ghosting my MP and they're coming up empty with what to do. I don't think there's anything you can do but document, continue trying to contact them, and wait.