Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Price is adjusted every day based on the wholesale price for the day. UFA will send you a copy of their price list for all fuels by email daily if you want it. Being the curious type I asked them how they set their prices.

Pricing.Group@ufa.com

Hello Dean,

Thank you for your email. I would like to share some information that I hope will bring some clarity regarding UFA’s cardlock pricing structure and setup.

UFA does not base our fuel pricing the same way that retail stations do, nor does UFA guarantee that our cardlock pricing will always be cheaper than other retail locations. Retail stations often participate in so called "price wars" to match each other in pricing, even if this means cutting into their margins. UFA on the other hand, bases our pricing on the daily changes that occur with wholesale refinery rack prices. We do not participate in the same competition space as retail stations. Refinery rack prices may go up or down, but it is a true representation of the wholesale market price changes that occur. When the market prices are increasing, UFA will be in line with the increases while retail outlets may hold on their pricing, creating the occasional price advantage, but eventually they have to catch up to market pricing. At the same time, when market prices decrease, UFA will be in line as well while retail market may hold at the higher price in order to recoup margin.

The refinery diesel rack prices have been rising rapidly since the start of the year, which is being reflected in your pricing. When the racks decrease in pricing, you will also see that change reflected in pricing. This is compared to retail where they may hold the same price for weeks or months, regardless of the wholesale pricing, which is generally determined by local competition within the retail market. UFA offers consistency and visibility into UFA Rack pricing. If you wish to have access to it, please let us know and we can add you to the email list. Then you will be aware of the daily price increases and decreases as they occur.

I would also add that it is possible that you do not have an appropriate discount on your account based on what your purchase patterns are for the year. Cardlocks are a volume-based businesses and I would recommend speaking with your local UFA Fuel Agency to discuss your fuel usage, volumes and pricing. They can determine if have an appropriate discount on your fuel.

When it comes to how your fuel price is displayed, UFA follows a cardlock industry standard that shows base price + applicable fuel taxes before GST. This is the standard that the cardlock industry follows. Since we do not compete in the same space as retail fuel stations that regularly post a price, we do not present the pricing in the same way. One advantage of this is that it allows cardlock customers to track the fuel costs before taxes and allows them to track any tax changes that may occur from year to year.

I hope this clears up your questions. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free respond to this email or to contact the Pricing Group at 403-570-4466 or your local UFA Fuel Agency for further details or information.

Thank you and have a great day,

Daniel Greco
Petroleum Pricing Analyst
UFA Co-operative Limited

T: (403) 570-4466
F: (403) 570-4018
UFA.com

Thanks for the detailed reply. All makes sense, however I wish I new the volume structure.

I use 1000L a month, but only used UFA the past 2 months, so I may not be getting a volume discount yet.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon444 View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. All makes sense, however I wish I new the volume structure.

I use 1000L a month, but only used UFA the past 2 months, so I may not be getting a volume discount yet.
Go talk to the counter guy at your local UFA. He can set you up a discount based on your current use, you don't need a long track record, a couple of months is fine. They won't give you a discount automatically, you have to ask for it.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:05 AM

Costco 133.9, UFA clear gas tax in 142.5. Still very happy with UFA for forcing all the other retailers to quit gouging the hell out of us. Prices would not have come down this far without UFA doing what they did.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:45 AM

CDN Tire Leduc Last night

Regular (up to 10% ethanol) 132.9
Mid (up to 5% ethanol) 146.9
Premium (No ethanol) 154.9

You also get 5 c/litre if you pay with Triangle Elite

Costco across the highway in Leduc was 129.9 also.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:43 PM
Banned

Paid $1.31 for regular at Shell near the cement plant north of the Whitemud. That was with AMA 3c discount applied. This location got rid of Midgrade, Don't know if Shell will be phasing that out or not. Was 87,91 and 93 octane. 20c difference for 91 and 30c difference for 93. Was $1.58 at Shell in the far west of Edmonton
Old 08-14-2022, 04:11 PM
Banned

UFA Athabasca was $1.50
Old 08-14-2022, 04:14 PM

132.9 at Camrose Safeway today so with my discount coupon , I paid 128.9.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:09 PM
Banned

$1.55 at UFA in High Level. Was $1.73 everywhere else In town
Old 08-15-2022, 02:39 AM

Was 1.45 at UFA in Drum today, tax out, so, with tax call it 1.52 or 3. Was 1.52.9 at two stations, 1.49.9 at two stations today.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:24 AM

$1.329 everywhere in DV last night.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-15-2022, 07:32 AM

155.9 gas in the Pass.
177.9 diesel
Old 08-15-2022, 08:58 AM

1.49 everywhere in GP. UFA is 1.43 i think.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:11 AM

$1.4552 UFA LLoydminster tax in, everywhere else $1.399

Odd. They will lose most of their business today if anyone checks prices

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-15-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
$1.4552 UFA LLoydminster tax in, everywhere else $1.399

Odd. They will lose most of their business today if anyone checks prices
What I find truly odd is I see no signs of UFA trying to wrap its arms around all these new members or trying to find ways to get them in for more than just gas. I sent a very long email to a few of their senior exec and board with specific suggestions of things they could do, not even the courtesy of a response, and no evidence of them trying to implement any of the suggestions. When you get handed a doubling in your membership, I cannot fathom anyone ignoring that and not trying to capitalise on it. Sort of explains how they managed to massively mess up Wholesale sports and drive it into liquidation after they bought it.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
What I find truly odd is I see no signs of UFA trying to wrap its arms around all these new members or trying to find ways to get them in for more than just gas. I sent a very long email to a few of their senior exec and board with specific suggestions of things they could do, not even the courtesy of a response, and no evidence of them trying to implement any of the suggestions. When you get handed a doubling in your membership, I cannot fathom anyone ignoring that and not trying to capitalise on it. Sort of explains how they managed to massively mess up Wholesale sports and drive it into liquidation after they bought it.
Likely no time- they added 100,000 members in a month, plus in Lloydminster the staff were constantly outside running their own cards for people that did not have fuel link. Lines were crazy, something I have not seen in Lloydminster for decades, since gas wars.
It is funny too, the owner was saying it annoyed him greatly because his regular life long customers now had to sit in que while new people butted in, demanded use of cards they had no entitlement to, but then turned the pumps on for them likely to get them to leave. I wonder how many complained about having to pay $5 to get a membership that would give them a card?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-15-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Likely no time- they added 100,000 members in a month, plus in Lloydminster the staff were constantly outside running their own cards for people that did not have fuel link. Lines were crazy, something I have not seen in Lloydminster for decades, since gas wars.
It is funny too, the owner was saying it annoyed him greatly because his regular life long customers now had to sit in que while new people butted in, demanded use of cards they had no entitlement to, but then turned the pumps on for them likely to get them to leave. I wonder how many complained about having to pay $5 to get a membership that would give them a card?
My card was free when I signed up.
WDF
Old 08-15-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
My card was free when I signed up.
WDF
Mine was $25 35 years ago when I signed up

Old 08-15-2022, 03:20 PM
Banned

$1.53 High Prarie Shell
Old 08-15-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
....the owner was saying it annoyed him greatly because his regular life long customers now had to sit in que while new people butted in....
Did you tell him for .20-35c/L savings who cares?
Old 08-15-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Did you tell him for .20-35c/L savings who cares?
I did exactly that. I said it was very nice seeing a long line of people saving dozens of dollars with each fill.

And yes, I know what you are getting at.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:30 PM

Valleyview clear diesel 1.644 on Saturday. No lineup.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:01 AM

If you can find gas at 133 I would stock up. Wholesale price of gas is headed up again. According to the daily price list, UFA this morning is 146.2 for clear gas and 163.9 for clear diesel, both tax and GST in , Edmonton.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:34 AM

Well, the last two fills at UFA I didn't save a cent over the neighboring pumps ( was actually less at the other stations in Lloyd by 6 cents). So that's the end of that - at Shell I get 3 cents off and loyalty points which equate to cash back and at the local Coop I actually get a dividend payout on clear gas at the end of the year (which UFA does not pay - they dump all profits from clear gas sales into the payouts on Ag. Diesel)
Old 08-16-2022, 10:12 AM

UFA in Lloyd $147.6 everywhere else $1.39.9 the parties over ...for now anyway
Old 08-16-2022, 10:34 AM

Just saw the petro Canada on St. Albert train south of Henday at $131.99 for regular…
Old 08-16-2022, 12:04 PM

Airdrie UFA Sunday was $1.51.5, every where else $1.52.9.
Costco would have been cheaper!
WDF
Old 08-16-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
UFA in Lloyd $147.6 everywhere else $1.39.9 the parties over ...for now anyway
Yup gassed up the wifes car at super store today, 139.9 less my 3.5 cents super bucks, that's OK because I applied for my UFA card on July 7 and still don't have it, they must really be back logged issuing cards

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:55 PM

Ufa Lloydminster put signs on the cardlocks saying there would be a price drop of .10c/L at midnight tonight and to gas up tomorrow if possible

Old 08-17-2022, 08:41 AM

Gas Buddy for Edmonton shows over a dozen stations for lowest price, all are Shell, Petro Can, Mobile etc. The only Costco in the list is the one at Nisku. Lowest posted price is 129.9. After screwing consumers for months, it would appear the other retailers have felt the effects of the huge switch of buyers to UFA, and have decided they need to actually compete to get some business back. I will pay slightly more at UFA thanks. While generally a fan of Costco, I am even peeved with them too as they joined in the screwing with the other retailers.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:33 AM

UFA price list this morning shows clear gas, GST in 134.5 Edm, diesel all in, 161.0. Ken, the sign they posted was correct, quite the drop in one day.