Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2022, 02:25 PM

Default Fuel additives for outboards

Wondering what people are using for fuel additives in their outboard gas.

I add Sta-bil Marine to my tank at every fill up. They claim it keeps fuel fresh and helps when using ethanol blend fuel.

A couple of times a year I'll throw in some Quicksilver Quickleen (#2)
Old 08-04-2022, 02:28 PM

First run and last run of the year I use a healthy dose of Seafoam.

Keeps the carbs clean and idles very smoothly on a 120 HP Johnson. That is significant as this is the "loop charged" block which is notorious for bad idling if the carbs are at all gummed up.

Drewski
Old 08-04-2022, 03:49 PM

Seafoam every second or third fill on my big boat and i always put a full can in on my last day on the water....boat gets parked for winter with a full tank of fuel.
Sleds quads etc all get the same treatment and every jerry can of gas I fill that isn't going to get used within a week or two also gets seafoam.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:56 PM

Sea foam is awesome
Old 08-04-2022, 04:51 PM

I have a 40 gal tank - and it gets one can of Seafoam for every fill up using only premium gas ...... all year long, every fill up.

My Hondas fire up right away like they were run yesterday anytime, all the time, like a well oiled clock.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:59 PM

I use blue stabil in the fall and fill my tank up for the winter. In spring I run most of that tank empty before filling up with fresh fuel for the summer. No issues.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
In spring I run most of that tank empty before filling up with fresh fuel for the summer. No issues.
I would cry bloody tears if I would need to do it that with 235ltr tank and current gas prices. Granted, it is not the outboard.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I would cry bloody tears if I would need to do it that with 235ltr tank and current gas prices. Granted, it is not the outboard.
So you just fill your boat up and don't use it?? I store it full of fuel then run it 2 or 3x in the spring before filling the tank again so there is fresh gas.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:00 PM

I put Aviation 100LL in all my engines that sit for a long time.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:15 PM

A small engine guy I was quizzing about small engine storage said that nowadays they use a synthetic fuel that doesn't go bad. I had never heard of such a thing.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
A small engine guy I was quizzing about small engine storage said that nowadays they use a synthetic fuel that doesn't go bad. I had never heard of such a thing.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
He's probably talking about the weed whacker chainsaw canned fuel like tru fuel. That stuff will last years....but anything from a pump starts to degrade after 30 days and is almost useless after 90 without some quality stabilizer. Winter fuel actually stores better and cold ambiant temp and lack of moisture in winter also slows the degradation.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
He's probably talking about the weed whacker chainsaw canned fuel like tru fuel. That stuff will last years....but anything from a pump starts to degrade after 30 days and is almost useless after 90 without some quality stabilizer. Winter fuel actually stores better and cold ambiant temp and lack of moisture in winter also slows the degradation.
I can attest to the premium pre mixed fuel. I had a 5 gallon can of VP 50:1 fuel for a chainsaw and weed eater that lasted me 3 years. Never an issue. Am on my second can now. Yeah it’s expensive but it works!
Old 08-05-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
So you just fill your boat up and don't use it?? I store it full of fuel then run it 2 or 3x in the spring before filling the tank again so there is fresh gas.
I think I misunderstood you. I thought you just burning( wasting) fuel in spring so you could fill fresh one for new season.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:31 AM

I just use premium gas without ethanol in it. No additives or stabilizers needed until its time to put away for winter. If you're using regular, midgrade, or the highest octane premium that all have ethanol in them, then that's a different story...
Old 08-06-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have a 40 gal tank - and it gets one can of Seafoam for every fill up using only premium gas ...... all year long, every fill up.

My Hondas fire up right away like they were run yesterday anytime, all the time, like a well oiled clock.
^^. This is great stuff !
Old 08-06-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I think I misunderstood you. I thought you just burning( wasting) fuel in spring so you could fill fresh one for new season.
Oh no my bad, I get the boat on the water for a few days using the old gas up before topping it off. Yah I’d choke and I only have a what 24 gallon tank? (91l +/-). Cant imagine just running through a larger tank like yours.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Salmon View Post
I just use premium gas without ethanol in it. No additives or stabilizers needed until its time to put away for winter. If you're using regular, midgrade, or the highest octane premium that all have ethanol in them, then that's a different story...
You are probably correct - if you know you are going to burn through the tanks, in spring and summer you probably don't need anything in there until the last tank of the year. Just make sure you run the stabilizer or additive for 10 minutes or so - so it works it's way through all the lines (both kicker engine and main engine in my case).

For me, a can of sea foam every full tank. It also keeps things burning hot and clean and it's cheap insurance considering I'm hanging $40,000 off the back of the boat !!!!

Any extra year I can get out of the motors is well worth it IMO.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:59 AM

I rigged up an electric fuel pump to be portable. In the fall when the boating season is over, i pump the fuel out of my boats and use it up in my vehicles. in the spring i do the same with my snowmobile engines. that way i always start the season with fresh fuel. i use non ethenol premium in my boats and sleds and add "Ring Free" to my boat fuel when i fuel up.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
I rigged up an electric fuel pump to be portable. In the fall when the boating season is over, i pump the fuel out of my boats and use it up in my vehicles. in the spring i do the same with my snowmobile engines. that way i always start the season with fresh fuel. i use non ethenol premium in my boats and sleds and add "Ring Free" to my boat fuel when i fuel up.
Empty fuel tanks are a bad idea. It allows for moisture/condensation build up and provides an environment for bacteria and other stuff to grow.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:53 PM

I've been trying this stuff called K100 Marine Grade. Just started it this year but normally nothing but Yamaha fuel stabil. This other stuff says will help with removing water and also a system cleaner. Will find out when I pull the 6 plugs in the little girl. Will pull 2 injectors and inspect. Check fuel water separator
Old 08-11-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
I've been trying this stuff called K100 Marine Grade. Just started it this year but normally nothing but Yamaha fuel stabil. This other stuff says will help with removing water and also a system cleaner. Will find out when I pull the 6 plugs in the little girl. Will pull 2 injectors and inspect. Check fuel water separator
That’s one of the best. I bought my pontoon boat from Recreational Power Sports in Edmonton. That’s what they use and recommend. They have a display with a couple of bottles of gas with water in it. One has Stabil the other K100S. You can shake them up and the water stays suspended in the K100S. It starts separating almost right away in the Stabil.
I use it in all my atv’s and small engines. They advertise that it makes water burn. It certainly allows it to pass through your system anyway.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:04 PM

No affiliation with this video but its worth a watch. Pretty well thought out and I believe k100, seafoam, and Stabil are all on this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=chsGBhB5g7o