Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2022, 09:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Fish taxidermist

Ok so my wife just applied for Manitoba fishing master for pike and she Was just accepted, so that being said would like to surprise her with a once in a lifetime mount of her pike complete with photo, plaque etc kinda all done into one very classy piece of art that will keep the memories and stories of this incredible fishing adventure.

Any recommendations on a taxidermist would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-31-2022, 02:38 PM

Default Fish taxidermist

Are you wanting a skin mount or replica?
Old 07-31-2022, 02:56 PM

We are looking at a replica as the big ones swam away and we ate a few little ones at camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-31-2022, 04:02 PM

I'd look into Advanced Taxidermy in Ontario.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:30 PM

Default Fish mounts

Your choices for a replica mount will be much greater than for a skin mount, I’m not sure if anyone in Alberta specializes in them anymore. I’d also recommend looking to Advanced taxidermy in Ontario. Cabelas on Manning drive in Edmonton has a vast array of their work on the walls if you want a real life look at it. I’ve had them do a pike and a laker for me. Their packaging and shipping technique is second to none, I swear I could’ve rolled those mounts from Ontario to here in Edmonton without them getting damaged.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:29 PM

ADVANCED TAXIDERMY! I have had replicas from a few others and nothing ever came remotely close to the detail and realism of an Advanced replica and I ended up giving them away!
I don't know how they replicate it but as light changes as you move the mount or as the day goes along throughout so does the colour of the mount just like a real fish does!!
I have 7 replica's from them and 2 more in the works. Send them good pictures and measurements and they can replicate your fish perfectly. Ask for Shawn when you call. Tell him Frank from Lloydminster referred you. He is an awesome guy to chat with. My pictures do not do them justice. If you are passing through Lloyd and would like to have a look at mine feel free to do so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0199.jpg (81.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5501.jpg (113.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5508.jpg (83.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5512.jpg (117.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5489.jpg (93.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5505.jpg (88.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg a512dee2-724a-4d22-9273-7843e88be42e.jpg (94.3 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 2e8cf9a6-270d-41db-bc86-572aa493f6ad.jpg (82.6 KB, 146 views)
Old 08-01-2022, 03:10 PM

Thank you very much Frank, just got off the water so sorry for late reply but will call tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:52 PM
Banned

IMO check out Mr Fish Taxidermy. Unreal work. He is just east of winnepeg. You can ship fish frozen to him also. He did a northern pike for me a couple years ago. I'm not sure about the replica though, you could check into it.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
ADVANCED TAXIDERMY! I have had replicas from a few others and nothing ever came remotely close to the detail and realism of an Advanced replica and I ended up giving them away!
I don't know how they replicate it but as light changes as you move the mount or as the day goes along throughout so does the colour of the mount just like a real fish does!!
I have 7 replica's from them and 2 more in the works. Send them good pictures and measurements and they can replicate your fish perfectly. Ask for Shawn when you call. Tell him Frank from Lloydminster referred you. He is an awesome guy to chat with. My pictures do not do them justice. If you are passing through Lloyd and would like to have a look at mine feel free to do so.

Well called them and had a great conversation with James as Shawn was not in, got the ball rolling and in about 10 months my wife’s master angler pike will be on the wall for her to tell the story, good thing about it is the fish can’t get any bigger over time!

Mentioned you had directed me to them in which he says that’s awesome and we both thank you again.

Tight lines!

Old 08-02-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
These are all crap. Disgusting quality. I’ll be over shortly to remove them so you don’t have to look at the, anymore.

Skin mounts look like crap. After seeing yours I now wish I had had done some over time.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-04-2022, 06:02 AM

Funny story when I was talking to James McGregor one of the owners a few days ago he mentioned a story about their mounts, not to say others are bad etc but he has a client in the states that has a cottage, he said more like a house but when his client was away it got broken into. Now this client has hundreds of fish mounts from all over the world from a lifetime of fishing adventures, the only ones that went missing were the ones they had done....go figure eh.
Even a crooked eye can pick up perfection....

Can hardly wait until it is back here in about ten months, visualize this, pike as viewed coming up out of the weeds left to right, mouth wide open just about to strike the exact lure that caught it, I sent the Len Thompson platinum series 4” fire tiger lure to them to be part of the mount. There will be some drift wood involved with the weeds attached etc....below it will be her master anglers certification and picture....going to be a beauty display.

Old 08-06-2022, 04:48 AM

It sounds like it’s too late but I recently found this gentlemen out of the states. The pictures of his lake trout blow advance taxidermy out of the water judging solely on the pics I’ve seen.

https://www.risovitaxidermystudio.com/

Search his Facebook page, for the pics of the lake trout and a nice musky.

Check him out either way.
Congrats to your wife on the master angler!!!
Old 08-06-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Funny story when I was talking to James McGregor one of the owners a few days ago he mentioned a story about their mounts, not to say others are bad etc but he has a client in the states that has a cottage, he said more like a house but when his client was away it got broken into. Now this client has hundreds of fish mounts from all over the world from a lifetime of fishing adventures, the only ones that went missing were the ones they had done....go figure eh.
Even a crooked eye can pick up perfection....

Can hardly wait until it is back here in about ten months, visualize this, pike as viewed coming up out of the weeds left to right, mouth wide open just about to strike the exact lure that caught it, I sent the Len Thompson platinum series 4” fire tiger lure to them to be part of the mount. There will be some drift wood involved with the weeds attached etc....below it will be her master anglers certification and picture....going to be a beauty display.

Now that sounds interesting. I would like to see the pics of that when ready. I love my skin mounts because it has a part of the actual fish I caught. But making replicas more “personal” to the situation might be the way to tip my thinking to go replica.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well called them and had a great conversation with James as Shawn was not in, got the ball rolling and in about 10 months my wife’s master angler pike will be on the wall for her to tell the story, good thing about it is the fish can’t get any bigger over time!

Mentioned you had directed me to them in which he says that’s awesome and we both thank you again.

Tight lines!

Glad it worked out for you. Shawn and James are both great guys to chat with. Shawn has a daughter(Paige Galea) that has a hunting show on tv and she works at the shop as well. She does some of the painting of the fish and a lot of the game mount taxidermy work. Their work is top shelf! I am looking forward to seeing the finished mount of your wife's Northern Pike.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
These are all crap. Disgusting quality. I’ll be over shortly to remove them so you don’t have to look at the, anymore.

Skin mounts look like crap. After seeing yours I now wish I had had done some over time.
Bring a cheque book with you!!
Old 08-06-2022, 10:49 PM

I forgot I had done this....

https://youtu.be/gsClKyjiGoE
Old 08-16-2022, 10:47 AM

Too bad I didn't see the post sooner. I could've helped you out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pike.jpg (25.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg avatar.jpg (37.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg z1.jpg (37.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstone taxidermy View Post
Too bad I didn't see the post sooner. I could've helped you out.

Wow! What a display.
You still can help me out as I am sure when we hit Manitoba up again there will be a few more master angler fish caught!
We got many mounts of big game/birds so adding a few fish would be nice too.