Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-07-2022, 09:18 AM

Default Looking to upgrade my bow, which one?

Looking to upgrade to a new bow from my 15+/- year old mathews DXT.
It has been a great bow and has killed everything it has shot at but I do want to upgrade to newer tech and increase the speed. I haven't looked for awhile but I know many on here are up to speed on the latest and greatest technology .
Looking for the good, bad and ugly of the new bows. Primarily interested in Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Bow Tech and possibly APA.

Going to be heading over to Jimbows as well to chat with them but wanted to educate myself a bit hopefully before I went there.

thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:35 AM

Jim bows would be a great start. I was in the same boat as you looking to upgrade my older Bowtech. I ended up going with the Mathews. The boys let me shoot a few different brand names and I made my decision from that. I think all the newer brands are pretty darn good now a days. Biggest thing I noticed is how much quieter the new ones are, also I assume it shoots quicker than my old one.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:53 PM

If you like the draw cycle of the DXT, you are probably not going to love the new Mathews. I would look at the Bowtech Solution SS or the Hoyt Ventum 33. But give them all a try and see what you like best.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:00 PM

I went from a DXT to a APA viper nano in ‘13 or ‘14. Haven't found a reason to change since.

I would try also consider prime. They’ve focused on hunting and built a reputation for smooth quiet accurate bows.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:02 PM

Shoot as many as you can let the bow pick you. I shoot Bowtech because I have for a long time and they fit me well.

LC
Old 06-09-2022, 12:55 AM

I’ve found the more recent Bowtech’s to be “smoothest” and closest to a “single cam” feeling.
My Bowtech revolt has been my go to for the last couple of seasons. It’s just too smooth
My Mathews halon and v3 have a stiff draw up front and sink into the valley.
The newer Hoyt’s are in between I’d say.
Shoot ‘em all with your eyes closed and close the bow hand a little more than usual to get a good feel for the bows when you loose an arrow.
The more recent primes and PSE I haven’t really been a fan of but that’s just me.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:57 AM

I used to shoot a solo cam but upgraded this year. Shooting a Prime inline 3 now and won’t look back. I’ve always prioritized smooth draw, how it holds at draw, and accuracy over anything else, like speed. I shot every bow in the shop and I went in thinking I wanted a PSE XF but had to let the bows tell which one feels better. Shoot lots of different bows because all brands make good bows just some fit better than others. Archery is funny like that
Old 06-09-2022, 07:54 AM

I was just at Jimbows a week ago and bought a new bow.

I walked in and asked to shoot a few bows to figure out which one to buy.

I shot the Bowtech SR350, Mathews VX3 33" and Hoyt Ventum Pro 33". I wanted to try the Bowtech Solution as well but they didnt have any in stock.

The Bowtech wasnt very good at all. Draw cycle was decent on the comfort setting (I had a Carbon Icon the last 4 years) but there was a ton of vibration in the bow and the grip is terrible.

The Mathews came in second for me. Felt really good but the draw cycle had a hump and dump towards the end. Super easy to hold at full draw though.

I walked out with the Hoyt. Everything about the bow was great! The balance, grip, draw cycle (very even poundage start to finish) and it was very dead in the hand.

Chrono'd it at 70lbs, 29.5" draw and my 500gr arrow and it was 265fps which is pretty quick. 20fps faster than my Carbon Icon on comfort and 8fps faster than it on performance.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:02 PM

I’ve shot all 3 of the above bows and just to show how different every bow is for each person. You couldn’t pay me to take that Hoyt out of the shop lol. Mathews was in 2nd for me as well, stiff draw but very quiet and dead in the hand. I find the Bowtech to be very smooth no matter what model, I’ve never noticed any hand shock noted above. For me the tuning of the Bowtech is second to none. That deadlock cam makes it so easy to get very good arrow flight very quickly.

Go shoot and enjoy the process. I love every year when all the new bows comes out and shooting them all.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:52 PM

Hoyt RX7 is what came home with me. I shot several different bows and this is what felt the best to me. I did not like the feel of the Bowtechs in my hand, they shot nice but I just didnt like the feel. I went in thinking I would be buying another Mathews, it was nice but the RX7 just felt better in my hand. They all felt fairly smooth, little vibration but the Hoyt is what turned my crank. Sucks because it was the most expensive but if I get 14-15 years out of this ome like I did with my Mathews DXT, I will be very happy. Actually nothing wrong with the DXT either, just felt it was time for an upgrade.
Jimbows are great to deal with as well.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
Hoyt RX7 is what came home with me. I shot several different bows and this is what felt the best to me. I did not like the feel of the Bowtechs in my hand, they shot nice but I just didnt like the feel. I went in thinking I would be buying another Mathews, it was nice but the RX7 just felt better in my hand. They all felt fairly smooth, little vibration but the Hoyt is what turned my crank. Sucks because it was the most expensive but if I get 14-15 years out of this ome like I did with my Mathews DXT, I will be very happy. Actually nothing wrong with the DXT either, just felt it was time for an upgrade.
Jimbows are great to deal with as well.
Welcome to the dark side! Enjoy that new ride.

J.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:28 PM

I am left handed so had less options to shoot at Jim Bows. Shot the vX3, Ventum pro, RX5, V3 27. The Ventum came in second for me and went home with the VX3 29. The two were very close with the Mathews being a shade better and having experience with the BeeReal grips I knew I would like it even better once I added them. The RX5 was good but the Ventum seemed to balance better for me. I also like the low profile of the vX3 better and really like being able to shoot with the stand on as I have always hunted from the ground. Shot the V3 27 also and really didn't like the draw on it though most people find it very similar to the VX3, but I didn't find them anywhere close and if I had shot it and the Ventum the Ventum would of won after the first shot. That's why you have to try and compare to see what works best for yourself.