Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-23-2022, 02:46 PM

Default Bow string/cables advice

Did the unthinkable and accidentally dry-fired my bow. Got distracted by the dog and once shooed out of my way, thought I had an arrow nocked already, drew the bow, fired the bow, and bag!! Looked down and realized I had all 6 arrows with me...
Sooooooo time for a new string and cables!
Few questions
-Does Jim Bows make their own strings/cables or order them through a string manufacturer?
-If they order them through a string manufacturer which one is it?
-Any recommendations for different string/cable manufacturers if not ordering through Jim Bows?
-Is it frowned upon by archery shops to get them to install strings/cables that arent ordered through them?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2022, 05:10 PM

I've done that before. Sounds like a 22 going off. Check your limbs.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:13 PM

I’ve seen enough of these threads and plenty of guys will be along shortly to recommend a Canadian string maker. For my money, this guy gets my business. ALL of my business and has for the past 15 years. He makes one heck of a string set and I’ve bought strings from many, many different makers over the past 25+ years.

https://aschmid6.wixsite.com/ssstrings

As mentioned, check the rest of the bow over. If it wasn’t a Hoyt I would be surprised if there isn’t damage.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:34 AM

Jimbow uses ABB strings
Old 11-27-2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ve seen enough of these threads and plenty of guys will be along shortly to recommend a Canadian string maker. For my money, this guy gets my business. ALL of my business and has for the past 15 years. He makes one heck of a string set and I’ve bought strings from many, many different makers over the past 25+ years.

https://aschmid6.wixsite.com/ssstrings

As mentioned, check the rest of the bow over. If it wasn’t a Hoyt I would be surprised if there isn’t damage.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I had a new ABB string put on my bow and 6 months later had a strand snap on me just before hunting season. It snapped between the top of the serving and the peep site, not sure why just snapped during a shot. I took a gamble and limped through hunting season and was okay but now want to replace it immediately. In a sample size of 1, I hate to condemn ABB but would consider other options.

Are these strings that you recommend available in Canada? Seems like their website only lists US dealers.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beached Whale View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I had a new ABB string put on my bow and 6 months later had a strand snap on me just before hunting season. It snapped between the top of the serving and the peep site, not sure why just snapped during a shot. I took a gamble and limped through hunting season and was okay but now want to replace it immediately. In a sample size of 1, I hate to condemn ABB but would consider other options.

Are these strings that you recommend available in Canada? Seems like their website only lists US dealers.
That would be a warranty issue, unless it got cut or damaged from abrasion. Contact ABB. JimBows uses ABB most of the time.

LC
Old 11-28-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
That would be a warranty issue, unless it got cut or damaged from abrasion. Contact ABB. JimBows uses ABB most of the time.

LC
Thanks Lefty. Probabaly a freak incident.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beached Whale View Post

No they don’t have a cnd dealer. I’ve always emailed Anthony and he’s mailed them up to me. Shipping was always very reasonable and quick. I’ve had them on every compound and longbow I’ve owned since about 2008 and never had a failure or ANY stretch. Install them, tune the bow and never have a problem with peep twist, string or cable stretch or losing tune. They’re the best I’ve used.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:25 AM

Default Canadian String Builders

If you are looking to go local, Mean Moose out of Ontario and Firewire out of Manitoba are really good builders.

I had a set of new ABB strings on a bow I bought out of the states. Absolutely no problems with that set of strings.

But ABB has become bigger than your average builder, and with that growth and size, quality assurance can sometimes suffer.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:04 AM

South Country Custom String are made in southern Alberta are really nice. Have them on three different bows and are standing up really well.