Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-07-2022, 10:02 PM

Default Long draw bow?!

Hey all. I know it may be a bit late to be looking for a bow but here it goes.
I’m 15 years old, 6’,2”. My draw length has been measured at 31-1/4”

I’m currently shooting a bow tech with 30” draw. Well I’ve had enough of that… improper form and getting harder to shoot with it being to short of a draw length.
I’ll be doing spot and stalk mule deer so a light bow is nice, also hunting white tails in a stand.

Im more interested about hearing what 32” or 33” bows are available because options seem limited. I want a bow that will last a long time and I could still grow to a 33” draw.
Ideally around the $800-$1200 mark but it make take more to find a long draw bow that I like.
Thanks any info offered!
Old 08-08-2022, 09:05 AM

The first thing that I would offer, has your draw length been properly measured? My initial reaction is your draw length is not that long.

I'm 6'3, with long arms, and my draw length is right at 30". I sold bows for many years and it was fairly common to see people shooting bows that were 1-2" too long for them. Much more common than too short. Before you make a change, you might want to get that checked by someone who knows. Also, there is some very good info on some you-tube videos. Nockon, podium archery, inside out precision are a few I have seen that have sound info. You might find some good information about how to make sure what your draw length is.

Having said that, maybe your draw is that long. Everyone has slightly different proportions. But I would recommend being sure of that draw length as, initially, it sounds too long.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
The first thing that I would offer, has your draw length been properly measured? My initial reaction is your draw length is not that long.

I'm 6'3, with long arms, and my draw length is right at 30". I sold bows for many years and it was fairly common to see people shooting bows that were 1-2" too long for them. Much more common than too short. Before you make a change, you might want to get that checked by someone who knows. Also, there is some very good info on some you-tube videos. Nockon, podium archery, inside out precision are a few I have seen that have sound info. You might find some good information about how to make sure what your draw length is.

Having said that, maybe your draw is that long. Everyone has slightly different proportions. But I would recommend being sure of that draw length as, initially, it sounds too long.
I really appreciate that reply. I got it measured at Jim bows last year and was just under 31”.
I watched a John Dudley video from Nockon that explained the importance of draw length and how to properly measure. So I got my dad to measure me and we came up with 31-1/4”. Also, there is just to much of a bend in my arm when I shoot and It just feels super awkward! And that is with a 30” draw. And yes, everyone on my basketball team always comments on my long arms, so I think it’s just that…long arms
Old 08-08-2022, 09:54 AM

Fair enough - maybe it is that long. John Dudley is a good resource. Inside Out Precision also has a very good you-tube video on draw length that you might find helpful, just to be sure.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Fair enough - maybe it is that long. John Dudley is a good resource. Inside Out Precision also has a very good you-tube video on draw length that you might find helpful, just to be sure.
Will check it out! Thanks!
Old 08-08-2022, 10:40 AM

One thing I would offer - be aware that a bow that draws too long can cause issues while hunting.

Years ago, arm guards were commonly worn because of the string slap. Bows of the time were designed so bow arm interference with the string path was a concern and bulky clothing could cause significant arrow flight issues. Some guys would even shorten the draw length on their bow, when they started wearing heavier clothes while hunting, to avoid that problem. Too long a draw length to begin with made it even harder to shoot accurately with bulky clothes.

Today, for the most part, concern over string slap and interference with your bow arm is not a common problem. That is because of the way bows are now designed. But, if you plan on using it when you are wearing bulkier clothing, be aware that interference with the string path can still happen when wearing heavier clothing. This is particularly true if the draw length is too long.

Ideally, you want to get a bow with the correct draw length for you, as too short or too long can make you less accurate than you could be. But, as you mention wanting to hunt with it, thought I would mention the problem of string path interference that can happen with hunting clothing. In my experience, a slightly too short draw length setup causes fewer issues while hunting as compared to a too long draw length.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
One thing I would offer - be aware that a bow that draws too long can cause issues while hunting.

Years ago, arm guards were commonly worn because of the string slap. Bows of the time were designed so bow arm interference with the string path was a concern and bulky clothing could cause significant arrow flight issues. Some guys would even shorten the draw length on their bow, when they started wearing heavier clothes while hunting, to avoid that problem. Too long a draw length to begin with made it even harder to shoot accurately with bulky clothes.

Today, for the most part, concern over string slap and interference with your bow arm is not a common problem. That is because of the way bows are now designed. But, if you plan on using it when you are wearing bulkier clothing, be aware that interference with the string path can still happen when wearing heavier clothing. This is particularly true if the draw length is too long.

Ideally, you want to get a bow with the correct draw length for you, as too short or too long can make you less accurate than you could be. But, as you mention wanting to hunt with it, thought I would mention the problem of string path interference that can happen with hunting clothing. In my experience, a slightly too short draw length setup causes fewer issues while hunting as compared to a too long draw length.
Yes I would definitely agree with you on this. However this bow is a gift from my parents and this will be the last bow they buy in hopes it lasts years into my adult life. To go and buy a 31” draw length bow doesn’t make to much sense considering I’m only 15 and still can grow to a 32” or maybe 33” draw. I would much prefer to have some flexibility in case that did happen.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:04 PM

Update…
I went to jimbows today with the purpose of buying a bow. Immediately after telling them my situation and measuring my draw length they handed me the Bowtech Revolt xl.
This thing is amazing
First time drawing it back I was shocked by the smoothness, and it was in performance mode. Once switched to confirm mode it was buttery smooth.
I put on a 3 pin adjustable sight and a drop away rest.
I’m set at 31” draw length and 58 pounds and will gradually work up to 70 pounds when ready.
This thing will be a deer killer!
Old 08-11-2022, 10:13 PM

Congratulations on the bow find!

You are always in great hands at Jimbows. They have been nothing but excellent for my family.

I’m not the biggest bow tech fan,(for personal reasons) nothing wrong with them, and I know a lot of people that are really happy with their products.

Enjoy the new toy!
Old 08-11-2022, 10:19 PM

Yes they were wonderful. Super knowledgeable and helpful. You tell them your situation and what you are looking for, and immediately they have the answer.

At my buddy’s farm currently and will get the bow dialed and put on the sight tape. Target practice for the next 4 days
Old 08-12-2022, 09:32 AM

Good to hear you found something that will work for you. Good luck this coming fall.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:48 AM

I am 6’5” with a 32” DL and shoot an Obsession Huracon. 80LB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2022, 10:49 AM

6foot5 not 65

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
Update…
I went to jimbows today with the purpose of buying a bow. Immediately after telling them my situation and measuring my draw length they handed me the Bowtech Revolt xl.
This thing is amazing
First time drawing it back I was shocked by the smoothness, and it was in performance mode. Once switched to confirm mode it was buttery smooth.
I put on a 3 pin adjustable sight and a drop away rest.
I’m set at 31” draw length and 58 pounds and will gradually work up to 70 pounds when ready.
This thing will be a deer killer!

As soon as I seen the thread title that is the bow that I immediately thought of. That bow isn't just for the super long draw people too. I shoot a 30" draw and have the Revolt XL. I absolutely am in love with it. I have it all tuned up and can't wait to start the hunting season.

Best of luck this season with your new bow
Old 08-22-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
As soon as I seen the thread title that is the bow that I immediately thought of. That bow isn't just for the super long draw people too. I shoot a 30" draw and have the Revolt XL. I absolutely am in love with it. I have it all tuned up and can't wait to start the hunting season.

Best of luck this season with your new bow
Good to hear!! Good luck this season as well!!