Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Watch the worksharp videos. Do what they do. Do not flip until you get a burr the length of the whole blade. Do not use pressure at all. Let the diamond stones do the work. Take your time. Relax while you are sharpening with a beverage. It’s foolproof.

Once you pass the initial learning curve, you will create scary sharp knives.

If I can do it anyone can.
Pretty well agree with that.

Once you get your first full length burr on both sides, rest goes pretty quick.

I use the leather strop/compound to complete it. As stated before, it is available, along with other grits, for this system...
Old 12-17-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Have you changed the angle/bevel on any of your knives using it? If so did you find it a lengthy process? GUess it would depend on what steel your working with as well..
Yes to both questions.

Sharpening knives is not a microwave oven, instant kinda deal.

Re-profiling takes time.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:44 PM

I know that this thread has been sort of dormant for awhile but it’s cold out and I had some time so I thought I’d share my hunting knife that I sharpened today that’s been sitting dull since November. I have learnt many things from this thread and sharpening by hand to get a razor edge that slices through a flyer is such a satisfying feeling so keep at it if you don’t get the whole sharpening by hand at the start because it sure is satisfying once you finally get there. Even though I feel like I’m getting better I still use a sharpie to mark the edge to identify where I’m sharpening and I would for sure recommend it to anyone. I use the DMT 10 inch diamond stones and really like the job they do and how convenient they are.

Sorry if the photos don’t show up well but that’s the best that I could take off of my phone.

Here is a photo of the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
I know that this thread has been sort of dormant for awhile but it’s cold out and I had some time so I thought I’d share my hunting knife that I sharpened today that’s been sitting dull since November. I have learnt many things from this thread and sharpening by hand to get a razor edge that slices through a flyer is such a satisfying feeling so keep at it if you don’t get the whole sharpening by hand at the start because it sure is satisfying once you finally get there. Even though I feel like I’m getting better I still use a sharpie to mark the edge to identify where I’m sharpening and I would for sure recommend it to anyone. I use the DMT 10 inch diamond stones and really like the job they do and how convenient they are.

Sorry if the photos don’t show up well but that’s the best that I could take off of my phone.

Here is a photo of the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks very good to me.

And as you said, the Sharpie thing is a great way to do it, as you can see the progress when you sharpen, on both sides to keep them even. Not too many do it, but I do, especially when I first profile an edge. At times, I will also use a loupe (magnifying glass).

Once my profile is known (ie. degrees) for a particular knife, I don't use them anymore, as my sharpening system can be set accordingly.

Some may think it is "overkill", but the straighter the bevels, the better edge you will get, and the longer it will last before dulling.

So what if it takes a little more time...Right?

Thanx for sharing...
Old 02-27-2023, 09:47 AM

the cheap, easy, consistent way of maintaining the same angle is to use the width of your finger between blade and stone. yes - all fingers are slightly different in width but not enough to really make a huge difference in edge angle. the thing that matters more is consistency. And once you are used to it you can sharpen on any stone.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:13 AM
Banned

after many years and many knives

-modified scandi for profile = mindless easy fast sharpen

-touch up with leather belt

-carbon steel sharpens fast
-then wax or oil for rust proof

comes down to either

spend more time in the field or spend all your time sharpening