Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2012, 04:28 PM

Default Katz maybe trying to 'grease the wheel' for his new arena?

Came across this article and found it mildly interesting, seems he all of a sudden had a real interest in politics and decided out of the goodness of his heart that he would support of all parties the Alberta Conservatives.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4647260/
Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Pretty sketchy that he skirted elections finance laws by having the donation broken up into 25k and 30k chunks and made by family members and senior officers in his corporation.

That law needs to be re-drafted to not allow corporate donations at all and to limit donations by family instead of individual.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:42 PM

Lol I'm a WRP supporter look at the money they raked in from the energy sector, he'll the Minhas Family gave oodles if cash to the PCs too ( mountain crest beer )
Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 PM

What the heck is taking this city so long to get building downtown is siick they something like this brand new building to kick it up a notch and get it going again.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM

Building a new arena downtown will not spur a building boom in the vicinity. The fact is, you locate downtown for head office presence. Otherwise, if you are a company that merely "builds things", you locate where you have transportation access.

BGSH, in other words, we are not a HEAD OFFICE TOWN, that is Calgary. Are you going to tell me a major bank or energy company is going to build downtown so they can go watch a hockey game? they already have that in Calgary, as well as the proximity to business partners, so why leave???

There is only so much demand for bars, restaurants, etc, and Edmonton has Lots of that, were access is easy. All you do is recut the entertainment pie by trying to create a downtown entertainment / business district, which was supposed to propogate an office building boom.

It must break Stevie (Wonder) Mandel's heart that he won't be able to deal with downtown blight, and rebrand Edmonton with a new downtown full of office towers. I think it just was a case of extreme naivity and arrogance on the part of City Council, that a deal with the Katz group was going to change anything.

Like any good businessman, all that Katz did was to play to the egos of City Administration, and once they were deeply commited, "upsell" them for more.

At least the Politicos got a few bucks out of Katz. On the flip side, if the Province kicked in the needed 100 million, or more, what a hell of a return on Katz's investment.

Drewski
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Building a new arena downtown will not spur a building boom in the vicinity. The fact is, you locate downtown for head office presence. Otherwise, if you are a company that merely "builds things", you locate where you have transportation access.

BGSH, in other words, we are not a HEAD OFFICE TOWN, that is Calgary. Are you going to tell me a major bank or energy company is going to build downtown so they can go watch a hockey game? they already have that in Calgary, as well as the proximity to business partners, so why leave???

There is only so much demand for bars, restaurants, etc, and Edmonton has Lots of that, were access is easy. All you do is recut the entertainment pie by trying to create a downtown entertainment / business district, which was supposed to propogate an office building boom.

It must break Stevie (Wonder) Mandel's heart that he won't be able to deal with downtown blight, and rebrand Edmonton with a new downtown full of office towers. I think it just was a case of extreme naivity and arrogance on the part of City Council, that a deal with the Katz group was going to change anything.

Like any good businessman, all that Katz did was to play to the egos of City Administration, and once they were deeply commited, "upsell" them for more.

At least the Politicos got a few bucks out of Katz. On the flip side, if the Province kicked in the needed 100 million, or more, what a hell of a return on Katz's investment.

Drewski

Good post. Darn Good Post.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM

It's nice to know that we have the best government money can buy.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned

He's a smart businessman, and knows a good deal when he see's one. They were having a sale on governments, and he figured he may as well pick one up.

I never voted for her.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

He's a smart businessman, and knows a good deal when he see's one. They were having a sale on governments, and he figured he may as well pick one up.

I never voted for her.
Now, that's a good post!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 PM

Hey! But it's a good deal for the taxpayer and will provide great economic benefits for us. That's why he has to buy both Mandel AND the provincial conservatives....cause it's good for US...not for him!

Anybody who still supports an arena funded by the taxpayer, or for that matter, this scratching bunch of corrupt million players n owners, needs their head examined....either you are too stupid to see the truth or you are so blinded. Y having you head up a pro-hockey players adze, that you cannot see just how badly, you as the the taxpayer are being F-ed!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 PM

Now that this cat is out of the trap, do you think the fate is finally sealed?
How could the province possibly ever kick money into this plan?

Did Katz do himself in here?

It would appear he is no match for the AO resident genius that is Twisted Canuck.
You should have offered consultation terms TC.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Default Money quote for the ages....

Premier Alison Redford said Thursday she didn’t know whether Mr. Katz did or did not write a cheque. "I have no idea about that,” she said, later explaining she was busy campaigning during the election. Pressed on how she could be unaware of such a large sum, she replied: “Well, I’m absolutely telling you the truth. I’m absolutely telling you the truth.”

Say it twice...must be true.

Translation: "Hehe, good one Allison. Stupid Albertans will believe that."
Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 AM

Default I think things are getting worse

I figured that after the last election and the polls running up to it, that the PC's would smarten up.

I guess not.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I figured that after the last election and the polls running up to it, that the PC's would smarten up.

I guess not.
Albertans need to smarten up. The Red Queen doesn't seem to give a rats butt about screwing over Albertans. Katz will get his arena, we will pay for it. Ever notice she keeps saying "the province will provide no "direct" financial support", what do you suppose that means? No cheque to Katz, but a cheque to the city?

Can't wait to see the next budget these crooks put out. Hold onto your hat it's going to be a doozy.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Banned

Approx 25% of all the pc donations came from Katz......

And she doesnt know about it????

Give me a break. One in 4 dollars raised in 2012 came from ONE CHQ. These guys didnt even have the decency/shame to write seperate CHQS.

How can some of you guys continue to support this Gov?

Cant you see you are being lied to on a daily basis? Cant you see what is going on?

This whole bunch needs to go. Do we have any Gov recall legislation available to the honest taxpayers in this province?

Jamie
Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Should an investigation be commenced as to whether Alberta Health Services buys any medical services (drugs or other medical devices and/or medical services) from the Rexal Drug Group? Perhaps there is more then one avenue to pay back for this overly generous donation.
When I have to renew and/or purchase any prescriptions, I always ask if the pharmacy is in anyway connected to the Rexal group.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Drewski
Gotta disagree. A downtown arena creates a lot of extra business and night life around it. Makes the city more attractive, livable. with the NHL alone you are getting 41+ nights of 18,000 people downtown, plus all the other events, concerts, CFR, etc.. Bars and restaurants pick that up. Where do people go after a game now in Edmonton? To their cars as fast as they bloody can to get out of that scummy area, and then straight home. No economic spin-off to the city economy.

Now I'm NOT saying government should pay for it. I'm just saying that the argument that a downtown arena doesn't benefit a city like Edmonton isn't accurate.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM

I am in Toronto right now and just stayed downtown for 3 days and there downtown and cityscape is something to be desired I believe a high end downtown arena would bring much more "life" to the downtown and just not during business hours.

I like my little town of Stony plain but if Edmonton wants more life downtown a new arena would help!! Head offices are in Edmonton but downtown doesn't need to be filled with head offices to be busy .... Just offices.

That said I don't like Katz or his antics!

Last edited by Mike_W; 10-26-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Gotta disagree. A downtown arena creates a lot of extra business and night life around it. Makes the city more attractive, livable. with the NHL alone you are getting 41+ nights of 18,000 people downtown, plus all the other events, concerts, CFR, etc.. Bars and restaurants pick that up. Where do people go after a game now in Edmonton? To their cars as fast as they bloody can to get out of that scummy area, and then straight home. No economic spin-off to the city economy.

Now I'm NOT saying government should pay for it. I'm just saying that the argument that a downtown arena doesn't benefit a city like Edmonton isn't accurate.
Agrred!! Especially the get to your car and get the as far away as possible from that neighborhood.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Agrred!! Especially the get to your car and get the as far away as possible from that neighborhood.
Given the proximity of the proposed site of the arena to all the goodness that is 107th avenue from 100-124st, I'm thinking that that problem may not go away. A couple of new bars and restaurants can't hide what lies beneath......
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Okotokian,

If the arena will spin off a new entertainment area, simply because we build the arena, can you explain why the existing arena, which hosts all the same shows, concerts, trade fairs, and hockey games, never was the stimulus for the same entertainment district in the vicinity of the existing arena, since it was built back in the 70's?

This is not "Field of Dreams". If you build it, they may not necessarily come.

Finally, if you are a true economic man, what is the payback on a 500 million investment to add 5000 NOSEBLEED seats? Each seat costs $100,000.00. These lousy seats are all you are going to add to the new arena.

Or, you can spend 20 million fixing Rexall, which will always be there anyway. You will not compete with the old arena for the concert and tradeshow venues, and you will still pack the house every night no matter how bad the Oilers suck at hockey.

Drewsk
Old 10-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Or, you can spend 20 million fixing Rexall, which will always be there anyway. You will not compete with the old arena for the concert and tradeshow venues, and you will still pack the house every night no matter how bad the Oilers suck at hockey.

Drewsk
Have to agree, I would rather see the bulding re- furbished.
It has to be cheaper than making a new building.
I detest going downtown and would rather head to the Northlands sight.
I don't go to the games but take in a concert now and then.

Plus, Northlands is one of only a few NHL building where they can still fire off pyrotechnics. It's been grandfathered in, or so I heard this 2 years ago.
It's pretty hard to compare Edmonton to TO, Van or Dallas.
We don't have the population these cities do.
Any notion that a new buidling downtown will "put Edmonton on the map" is bs.
Ppl are comming from all aver the world to work in Alberta.
Guys down the road I have been talking to came here from Pakistan. They heard about Alberta, not the Alberta Oilers or Katz or howie.

These guys are talking about spending more than 1/2 a billion dollars like it's gas money for the year. Jeezazz! There has to be a limit to the expenditure of $$.
Where does it come from? Tax money!
Buidling the arena is an Alberta issue and should be on the next election card for a vote.
When is the next provincial election btw?
Would that be fair?
Majority says we spend $650 mil of tax dollars and it's done.
Majority says no thanks....

Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Banned

Guys this thread is about Katz greasing the political wheel. (It really needed greasing) and the fact the PC's are now denying knowledge that 1/4 of the war chest came from one person.

If you all can't see how bad your being screwed, I don't know what to say.

Jamie
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Okotokian,

If the arena will spin off a new entertainment area, simply because we build the arena, can you explain why the existing arena, which hosts all the same shows, concerts, trade fairs, and hockey games, never was the stimulus for the same entertainment district in the vicinity of the existing arena, since it was built back in the 70's?
Because there are no customers around the packing plants and slums except on game nights. Downtown there are plenty of customers to keep the bars and restaurants going. Putting the arena there will only increase that. You are building on a pre-existing base of establishments and customers. LEt me ask you this... where do you think you would get more customers for a new Keg Restaurant? Downtown, or in a farmer's field 5 miles out of town?

Quote:
Finally, if you are a true economic man, what is the payback on a 500 million investment to add 5000 NOSEBLEED seats? Each seat costs $100,000.00. These lousy seats are all you are going to add to the new arena.
The true economics man knows that the nose bleed seats are not the main expense or money generator. It's the sky boxes and premium seats

Quote:
Or, you can spend 20 million fixing Rexall, which will always be there anyway.
20 mil would barely paint it. The 2007 dressing room renovation was 3.5 million. Northlands looked at a renovation proposal. The cost was between $220 and $250 million.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Guys this thread is about Katz greasing the political wheel. (It really needed greasing) and the fact the PC's are now denying knowledge that 1/4 of the war chest came from one person.

If you all can't see how bad your being screwed, I don't know what to say.

Jamie
Greasy Liars!
If that kind of money showed up in my account I would be looking into where it came from.
Darn right the PC's knew.
She's the ex justice minister. Obviously she ran that cabinet position like she ran her campain donations.
She should know that ignorance is no excuse.
But hey, if it's good for her then it's good for me.
Ya, that probably wouldn't work out to well in front of a court!