Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM

Default hit the ditch on coalmine road

Last night I hit the ditch in my 05 tundra.

Needs bodywork, some engine work, and wheel alignment.

at least 6 other cars and a school bus in the ditch on the same road same night. 6x6 road grader, all 6 tires spinning with the blade UP!

I am a student, now in debt to my parents for repairs. truck Isn't even home yet (but out of the ditch) as the hills are very slippery and the tow truck guy who was available didn't want to try it. Waiting for a better guy (CJ's Towing) to be available tomorrow.

I am going to try to fix some of it myself, but some will need a mechanic (ex airbags).

Anyone have parts or knows anyone with parts for a first gen. tundra?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2949.jpg (96.8 KB, 579 views)

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 PM

Ouch!
You must have hit a tree.
How fast were you going?
Looks like it was in good shape - no insurance?
They probably won't write it off.

Jim
Old 10-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Ouch. Not a body man, but i'd rip that bumper off and look for hidden damages before committing to all the repairs.

I rear ended a woman a few years ago in my old car, thought it was minor damages to my car. The bumper was dropped on one side, added up to pretty good $$$.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM

Talked to insurance people, I'm not going to report it (due to the nature of the accident, I don't have to). If I did my insurance would go waaaaay up as I am a young male. Gotta report it to RCMP though, and pay out of my pocket to fix it.
Hit a couple fence posts and a 12" spruce. Going about 50 before I hit the ditch. no snow tires, p!$$ poor road conditions

Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM

www.car-parts.com should be able to find everything you need
Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Yikes, as a ex bodyman, now an appraiser, you are going to need some help to repair this on your own. I see frame damage, lots of bolt on parts and weld on parts(rad suppport), plus panels needing repair. Look for a used frt clip from the wreckers, it should come with the lights, rad, a/c and fans. Wont be cheap. I see possible bent suspension parts. I would look at making a claim. Imo you have at least 6 to 7 grand in repairs if you go through a shop and use new parts. It might be cheaper to pay the deductible and hope your rates dont go up too much.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:06 PM

Looks like a lot more than a few grand even the dr door is pushed back claim it . close to being scapped engine mounts alum. belly housing frame and much much more could be screwed . a big job to take on and you may be a long time and money getting it right .
Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
It might be cheaper to pay the deductible and hope your rates dont go up too much.
X2......unfortunate but true.

LC
Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
It might be cheaper to pay the deductible and hope your rates dont go up too much.
No can do, I am 17, so over the next 5 years I'd be paying probably $40 000

Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM

You will need to get the frame fixed first. Do the rad support then do the putter body
Old 10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
No can do, I am 17, so over the next 5 years I'd be paying probably $40 000
How much did you pay for said truck and how much do you owe? That truck is going to be a daunting task for you. If it's not done properly, it could be a safety trap. You don't want a head on in a truck with a compromised frame.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM

my 2 cents how much was the truck worth before the damage?my expierence is that they never drive the same after such a accident.i would think there must be some kind of inspection after the repairs otherwise how do you know its safe for the road?maybe its better selling the truck now for whatever you can get and save lots of headaches.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM

Do what the rest of us did that screwed up at that age. Park it in the backyard and drive an old klunker for the next 4-5 years.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 PM

truck is worth a good $10 000 (at least it was 48 hours ago).

I'm going to fix as much as I can myself (whatever I'm confident with), and get as many parts as I can from pick n' pull

then take it to a shop that my buddy's uncle owns for things like airbags and framework that I can't do

the beater method would be a good option except that I drive quite a bit and I have a long commute to school, so I need a good, reliable vehicle.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Got2fish

It's unfortunate you didn't have snow tires. That and the number of years of driving experience = sketchy times on such conditions.

Like somebody else said. Pay the deductable or drive a junker for a couple years.

Best of luck dude.

Give you 500$ right now for your truck.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 PM

What a predicament! 10k less 7k in repairs versus ???? In increased insurance.
Only thing I can see working is if you part the tundra out and get 6k for it which should be doable since motor n tranny are good. Plus all
Else looks good. If that is possible your only out 4k versus a mess of a repair job.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:56 AM

Thats about what my sons car looked like after his encounter. New parts cost will cost about $ 2500. And about $1000 paint. If you get deals. Pick and pull is your best bet if they have a truck like it. Check for parts here. Cheapest place I have found in canada and I think they may have a wharehouse in Calgary and Edmonton.

http://ecat.crosscanadaparts.com/base/welcome.php

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 AM

When you get it home, see if you can get a bodyshop estimator to come by and have a look. Get an estimate and see what the damages come to before you do anything. You will then have a labour quote with parts and part numbers. A complete frt bumper inc paint is 2500 bucks new. You have a ton of damages there, all your saving on is the labour, you still need parts. Look for a frt clip from a wrecker first, before you do anything, then check for after market parts but be warned, they suck. Dont fit, dont last but they are cheap. If you dont owe anything on it, you can always cut your loss and sell it as is and walk away. Keep in mind you may have to disclose the damages and that you repaired it when you sell or trade it. Good luck, I hope you can get it on the road again but you have a whole lot of work ahead of you.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM

Hi young man
I have the ability to fix this type of wreck and I wouldn't bother if I owned it. It's not a beginner project. If you want to learn Autobody buy a 1985 chev 1/2 ton and fix it up.
I admire your ambition but there are better places to apply it.
Also if your actually paying 8 grand a year for insurance you need to rethink that. Get a vehicle you can do repairs on ( like 1980's pickup) and just insure for liability.
PS when I was 17 I ignored a lot of good advise too, so best of luck with the repairs.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Buy yourself a good used truck on the cheap. So cheap that if it's wrecked, it won't matter to you that much. Have it inspected first though!

Don't put yourself in debt over this. Last thing you want is to be married to payments at your age.

And chicks don't care if your truck isn't brand new.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Toyota front clips are not the easiest to replace, they require a lot of cutting spot welds and welding if you have to replace rad support and inner aprons which by the look of things your in for a rad support at the very least. I'd take the money you would spend repairing it, combined with what you could get selling it as is or from parting it out and use the money to buy something else. This isn't a job the average person can do on a weekend in their home garage.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Toyota front clips are not the easiest to replace, they require a lot of cutting spot welds and welding if you have to replace rad support and inner aprons which by the look of things your in for a rad support at the very least. I'd take the money you would spend repairing it, combined with what you could get selling it as is or from parting it out and use the money to buy something else. This isn't a job the average person can do on a weekend in their home garage.
id trust this guys opinion.
and from the discussion, id be tempted to walk away and part it out.
your going to lose either way. a clean driving record will probably save you more in the next few years.
roger

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-27-2012, 08:42 AM

http://ecat.crosscanadaparts.com/bas...ags/8126-1.jpg

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:03 AM

Your 17 your insurance will go up but not to the point that it will cost you $40,000.
Also on your insurance ( maybe this is just for this over 25) but many institutes have a first accident forgiveness clause.
Just buy looking at the truck I would guess you are looking at 5000+ to get that truck back to normal.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 AM

I think many of you are misunderstanding me:

first I will get a quote on the damage to see if it's reasonable (under $7 000)

Then I only aim to fix what I am comfortable with to save whatever I can.

Then take it to a professional mechanic for the rest.

I'm also not overlooking parking it til I'm out of university and finding a reliable old beater (preferably a front or AWD celica if anyone knows of a deal on one)

Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Many people misunderstood me when I was 17 too, ha.
Good luck with your truck. It could have been worse.

TBark