Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Banned

Default Can retailers record your PAL info for ammo sales?

Just like the title says, can retailers record your PAL info for ammo sales? Is this province specific or at the retailers discretion. I've never had it recorded in Alberta only had to show it, but we picked up some ammo today in Newfoundland to go sight the rifles in for moose season and the clerk recorded our PAL #. I could'nt find anything on the CFC website, if you have a solid answer please provide a source. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Banned

Only if you give it to them. I've never had to give my pal number, and there is no law I can find that requires a retailer to do so. Just show your pal. Any retailer tries writing my PAL down, can keep their ammo.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 PM

It all depends where you are buying the ammuntion. In Ontario:

Record keeping
(1) A person who holds a permit issued under subsection 110 (5) of the Criminal Code (Canada) to carry on a business described in subparagraph 105 (2) (b) (i) of that Act shall keep a record of the following information for all ammunition sales:
The date and time of the purchase.
The name, age and address of the purchaser.
The type of identification and permit produced and their serial numbers.
The calibre and quantity of ammunition purchased. 1994, c. 20, s. 4 (1).

Inspection of records
(2) The chief provincial firearms officer for Ontario, designated under the Criminal Code (Canada), or any person authorized by him or her for the purposes of this section, may conduct an inspection of the records required to be kept under subsection (1). 1994, c. 20, s. 4 (2).

Not sure what the laws are in Nfld.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:53 PM
sheephunter

Sure they "can"
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM

That Ontario requirement is excessive; the federal government in their small bit of wisdom related to PAL licensing opted to leave our addresses off of the PAL identification card, and noted in the quoted legislation here Ontario wants to conglomerate all of that sensitive information in numerous insecure retail locations. Now any WalMart staffer can find out what calibre you're shooting and your home address. How infinitely smart of Ontario
Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
we picked up some ammo today in Newfoundland to go sight the rifles in for moose season and the clerk recorded our PAL #. I could'nt find anything on the CFC website, if you have a solid answer please provide a source. Thanks!
He's on the rock not in ontario
Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
He's on the rock not in ontario
Slam's quoted legislation is from Ontario though. If someone posts the Noof legislation I'll comment on that.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quantity of ammo? Holy crap, do they want a video of me shooting it to? Have to make sure I don't have any left over rounds, I could become a terrorist tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Just like the title says, can retailers record your PAL info for ammo sales? Is this province specific or at the retailers discretion. I've never had it recorded in Alberta only had to show it, but we picked up some ammo today in Newfoundland to go sight the rifles in for moose season and the clerk recorded our PAL #. I could'nt find anything on the CFC website, if you have a solid answer please provide a source. Thanks!
My answer was directed more to the first part of the op and was to say that it is juristiction specific and that is why I posted the fact that I did not know the NFD specific regulations/laws.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Any retailer tries writing my PAL down, can keep their ammo.
I agree.

They don't need to write it down, all they need to do it verify its valid.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Banned

Why are you asking us a question that is about Newfoundland?

Phone the CFO office for Newfoundland? Record the responses, and get anything in writing.

I do not know what the laws are over there, and if we can help you.

If there are any conservative MPs in Newfoundland, get a hold of them and start screaming.

If the Nfd-Lab conservative MP's laugh you off, tell them you have over 29,000 buddies just on one internet forum that are willing to contact the Alberta Conservatives MP's demanding those Nfd-Lab Conservatives be turned into back bench losers for the rest of their political career.

If they call your cards..... watch what we can do.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Banned

I don't think there is any issue with having to record PAL info. Probably store policy. This pdf is from 2007, but should still hold true for newfoundland.

http://www.cila-ical.com/2008/04/CFO...Regulation.pdf
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 PM

Ahhh, nfld gun and ammo laws. The place where it is illegal to possess a firearm in any area where animals frequent with out a licence. Not even allowed to shoot a can in the bush.

I'd just tell them I don't have to.give you that info and see what happens.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Ahhh, nfld gun and ammo laws. The place where it is illegal to possess a firearm in any area where animals frequent with out a licence. Not even allowed to shoot a can in the bush.

I'd just tell them I don't have to.give you that info and see what happens.
Wow, been over 20 years since I carried a gun back home. Has it really changed that much?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 PM

Straight from the regs

Firearms, Ammunition

It is unlawful:

unless you have a permit, to carry, transport or possess firearms or ammunition during a closed season in any area frequented by wildlife. A person travelling to a hunting area may, if he/she holds the proper game licence, transport a firearm or ammunition if the firearm is cased or securely wrapped and tied. unless you have a valid game licence and/or permit, to carry, transport or possess firearms or ammunition during an open season for shooting in any area frequented by wildlife. to carry, transport or possess, in any area frequented by wildlife, any pump or autoloading shotgun unless it is plugged or altered so that it cannot carry any more than a total of three shells in the magazine and chamber combined.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Banned

20 years away and i'm really out of the loop. No wonder people back home are getting cross with all the laws.

Quote:
Straight from the regs

Firearms, Ammunition

It is unlawful:

unless you have a permit, to carry, transport or possess firearms or ammunition during a closed season in any area frequented by wildlife. A person travelling to a hunting area may, if he/she holds the proper game licence, transport a firearm or ammunition if the firearm is cased or securely wrapped and tied. unless you have a valid game licence and/or permit, to carry, transport or possess firearms or ammunition during an open season for shooting in any area frequented by wildlife. to carry, transport or possess, in any area frequented by wildlife, any pump or autoloading shotgun unless it is plugged or altered so that it cannot carry any more than a total of three shells in the magazine and chamber combined.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Sure they "can"
yup, they can ask, quite a few years ago, when the registry was still in effect, a certain store in Calgary was making you write down your info to buy reloading components, if the U.S. was serious about tracking down Bin Laden, they should have staked out that store, if you read the book, he was in there 6 or 7 times a day!!!...LOL
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Straight from the regs

Firearms, Ammunition

It is unlawful:

Oh Boy: Newfoundland gun control:

I would not be surprised if Redford is working on the same thing in Alberta.

Watch this law to pop up in B.C.

I did not vote for her.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
yup, they can ask, quite a few years ago, when the registry was still in effect, a certain store in Calgary was making you write down your info to buy reloading components, if the U.S. was serious about tracking down Bin Laden, they should have staked out that store, if you read the book, he was in there 6 or 7 times a day!!!...LOL
About the only way you can sue the government is over criminal negligence , and criminal breach of trust with the public. With the people you see working in gun shops there is an excellent opportunity for an employee or even a customer to look at the records that could endanger personal and public security and even privacy. Yet the CFO of the province allows this potentially deadly behavior to continue. To a common layman like me this behavior looks like criminal negligence of the government and the people sworn to entrust the safety of the people.

Where is the NFA when you need them? No membership this year boys.. until you clean up your act.

CSSA plus donations for me.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 PM

They can do whatever they deem fit to protect themselves. It comes down to their right to refuse service. If they ask and you say no, they can just as easily, and are backed by law, tell you to leave their store and pound sand.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Why are you asking us a question that is about Newfoundland?

Phone the CFO office for Newfoundland? Record the responses, and get anything in writing.

I do not know what the laws are over there, and if we can help you.

If there are any conservative MPs in Newfoundland, get a hold of them and start screaming.

If the Nfd-Lab conservative MP's laugh you off, tell them you have over 29,000 buddies just on one internet forum that are willing to contact the Alberta Conservatives MP's demanding those Nfd-Lab Conservatives be turned into back bench losers for the rest of their political career.

If they call your cards..... watch what we can do.
I like where you're going with this ...

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM

John doe bought a few pounds of powder from wholesale sports tonight!!
It's a joke!!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 PM

No, they cannot make you give that information in order to buy ammo - not in AB, anyway.

Airbornedeerhunter, I like greylynx and I like reading his comments. But I gotta hand it to you - you can curse with the best of them. That was a fine job of cursing.

I still like greylynx.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
No, they cannot make you give that information in order to buy ammo - not in AB, anyway.

Airbornedeerhunter, I like greylynx and I like reading his comments. But I gotta hand it to you - you can curse with the best of them. That was a fine job of cursing.

I still like greylynx.
Thanks Rock.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 PM

Surely he also smells of elderberries?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zb...e_gdata_player

Last edited by huntinstuff; 08-21-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Banned

So it's company policy, not law. Good to know.

What part of the rock are you on?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
So it's company policy, not law. Good to know.

What part of the rock are you on?
Kelligrews
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 AM

I was at the bass Pro in Calgary a couple of weeks ago and they recorded my PAL info for some muzzle loader pellets, wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Kinda ticked me off though
Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
John doe bought a few pounds of powder from wholesale sports tonight!!
It's a joke!!
John Doe should of bought at P & D.

I will not purchase rifles, ammo or reloading components from any retailer wanting to write my info in their books.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM

It's a Possession Acquisition License.

You have to SHOW it to obtain a firearm or ammo.

That's it.

If they had a "store policy" saying the cashier can grope your wife, would you let them???

Good grief guys, take a moment once in a while to tell someone to go to hell, to their face.