Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-30-2021, 12:07 PM

Default Walker's Game Ear...

What's the Best best Walkers game ear for hunting?
Old 08-30-2021, 04:39 PM

I have severe Tinnitus in my right ear coupled with some hearing loss Most of the ones I have tried you get wind rush noise when turned up enough to alleviate hearing loss.

Another downside is you lose directional positioning on most sounds Bull moose grunts especially. I just use my Birch Bark Call for this very rare I will use it to Call with lol
Old 08-30-2021, 05:52 PM

Thanks moosetalker I was wondering about that.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:15 AM

I also found the directional positioning a major issue when bird hunting. Can't tell what direction the geese are coming from.

Cool product for the gun range in my opinion, but not for hunting.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:49 PM

I have used stereo game ears for awhile, I need them as my left ear goes awol after a gunshot. Cabelas has the quad style units which should help with the direction sensing, and they go on sale quite regularly. I will pick up a set for this season, after 40+ years working in a noisy environment plus hunting/ shooting, I cannot recommend enough the use of hearing protection when hunting. Being deaf in one ear is one thing, the constant scream of tinnitus is another thing altogether.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:15 PM

That's totally crappy for you Unregistered user!
I've lost a lot of my hearing as well. Hence why I was looking for something for hunting.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:45 PM

I have also no hearing in one ear. Yes, it is totally frustrating when you can't tell where the noise is coming from, but all the more reason to have enhanced hearing so you can hopefully spot the animal before its too close. I use the SoundGear by Starkey Hearing Technologies. It's High definition hearing protection and amazing sound enhancement, and its a hearing aid, not ear muffs. You have to get a custom fit made specifically for your ear. I got it four years ago and it has worked amazing well. I mostly stand hunt, so having the advantage of concealment, helps when looking for where the sound is coming from. It has lots of adjustments for wind, snow falling on your hat, road noise, etc. It has made a big difference is spotting animals before it's too late. It also does a very good job at cutting out the muzzle blast, and I shoot a 7mm Weatherby Magnum. The only kicker is that for just the one, it cost me over $800.00. Not cheap, so maybe that pushes it out or range for some. You can get them from Living Sounds hearing centres.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:01 AM

I have the Walker's razor digital only bought them last year and never hunted much I will be using them this year they seem to work all right
Old 09-01-2021, 11:42 AM

I have Walker razors, a set of duck commander branded and, Caldwell electronic muffs for range work. The walkers are my favorite...for hunting I use ear pro stealth electronic plugs or surefire plugs. The pro stealth allow hearing assistance whereas the surefire allow passive hearing only. Both work well to dampen the report. Obviously the electronics help you hear better but the surefire buds do work quite well.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:21 PM

I have the Axil ghost stryke buds. Used them last season and have been happy, few friends tried them and have purchased as well.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:37 PM

Default Good gear

I have had a single Walkers game ear-hearing aid style device for a number of years. I'm on my second one now as the original was lost when my truck was broken into and I lost all my hunting gear.
As a bow hunter that primarily hunts from tree stands I found this to be in my top two "must have" pieces of gear. As I am well past the 60yr marker now it is even more useful. I used to tell guys I could hear a mouse fart at 80 yards. Being able to hear like that gave me an edge when animals were approaching but not yet visible.
Unless you try one you will never know what it can do...