Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

Default Delete

Like the title says does anyone have any pros or cons in comparing the two calibers. I reload so there is no issue there, any expirence with either caliber would be apppreciated.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM

i have a .243win, buddy has a 6mm rem..... he gets a lil more speed out then i do.

Both are great rifles, i reload my .243 typically with 58grain vmaxes going about 3800fps.... but then i deciced i don't care for much about yote pelts anymore and moved up to 90gr berger match bts better bc and less wind drift. after using winchester 95gr xp3s last year hunting and watching my gf down a wt buck a mule doe and my boss's daughter nail a wt buck best results iv seen in wound channel better then the 85gr tsx i loaded up which i was impressed with when i saw the results as well when my gf shot a buck 2 years ago. i now religiously use 95grain xp3s they are factory only cause they wont sell them in reload into components yet... but alas with the price of ammunition going up... might have to resort to loading up the tsx again.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:38 PM

In theory you should be able to get a little more velocity with the 6mm. Some of the older rifles had a 1:12 twist, so they often wouldn't shoot heavier (100 gr) bullets very well. I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone makes rifles in 6mm anymore.... the 243 won the popularity contest a long time ago.

Since you are a handloader, I would probably go with the 6mm if I were you, just because you should be able to get more velocity from it over the 243. One of my old hunting buddies had a Ruger M77 in 6mm, and I always wanted one just like it.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM

Think the 6mm suffered from a couple of problems - bad timing and the great publicity for the .243 by writers like Warren Page. The slow twist didn't help the 6mm originally either. By the time they sped up the twist rate, the title belonged to the .243. Theoretically the 6mm can outpace the .243 - more case capacity - by a slight margin, but like most rifles there are exceptions. My .243 for some reason shows no excess pressure signs like excess stretch, web diameter expansion, cratering, and so on with hunting weight bullets consistently up to 1.5 grs over book max. The speed obviously goes up too, up to 6mm book max range easily. It doesn't have to make sense, but most calibers based on the .308 seem to just be very efficient from the .243 and .260 on up to the .338 Fed and the old .358. Who knows why? One of those odd curiosities that just happen. "Inherent accuracy" is bantered around quite a bit but the term fits the .308 based stuff. Lord knows why...
All the same, I'd prefer the 6mm if I had to choose one of them and it was still chambered in modern rifles. It'd be fun to push a bit in a strong action.
Except for the 7mm Rem Mag. we seem to have some kind of aversion to anything with an "mm" in it's name which is a shame, really. There are a pile of really great "mm" cartridges out there that can do anything the rest of them can, sometimes with a lot less wear and tear on brass and shooter...
Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM

I shoot a remington 700 vls in 6mm and reload for it. shoots 70 grain nosler balistic tips into a 1/2 inch at 200 yards. I use an 85gr tsx on deer and one shot kills. The groups with the tsxs are about the same as the 70s. have also used 105 speer and had good results.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM
dubbya

I really like the 6mm/243 cals. I've owned several rifles over the years chambered for each. I am partial to the 243 but only because that's what I learned to shoot on. I now own 4 243's and one 6mm. The 243/6mm I've owned have killed moose, deer and black bear. Plus yotes, beavers gophers. Fairly good all around.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM

My 2 cents is in favour of the .243 because that is what I have and I really like it. As for loads, I like the 70gr Nosler BT for the little stuff and the 90gr Swift Scirocco for the big stuff.