Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
The secret is to learn from your mistakes and I'm sure we've all made a few.
Amen......like watching a 9' mt. grizz work its way toward camp and picking a tree that was 200 yds out to shoot him at......winded us 5 yds from it....sniffed twice and was gone.....pretty sure I could have hit him pretty hard at 205

tm
Old 03-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Amen......like watching a 9' mt. grizz work its way toward camp and picking a tree that was 200 yds out to shoot him at......winded us 5 yds from it....sniffed twice and was gone.....pretty sure I could have hit him pretty hard at 205 tm
Old 03-08-2009, 06:06 PM

True story and I got witnesses......my cous and a dog

We get a once in a lifetime grizz up here......unfortunately due to the aforementioned story I've still got my tag

tm
Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Silver lining to the story is I killed this guy 2 days later.

Hope it works.

tm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kevin_sheep.jpg (71.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Silver lining to the story is I killed this guy 2 days later.

Hope it works.

tm
Nice sheep.....
Isnt that a DALL sheep? from BC...maybe I missed something

Last edited by bunnyhunter; 03-08-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-08-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
There are other places in Canada besides B.C. that have Dall sheep.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
Nice sheep.....
Yup.....a Dall but not BC....NWT....You can tell by the size of those things beside the rifle scope

tm
Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Yup.....a Dall but not BC....NWT....You can tell by the size of those things beside the rifle scope

tm
OK, cool I thought they were BC only...learn something new...havent seen a DALL pic in years. ( and havent lived in BC for 20)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Amen......like watching a 9' mt. grizz work its way toward camp and picking a tree that was 200 yds out to shoot him at......winded us 5 yds from it....sniffed twice and was gone.....pretty sure I could have hit him pretty hard at 205

tm
I've passed up lots of shots on game because of bad target aquisition, bad background, ( hunters, buildings in the vicinity ,etc) and other such stuff as well.
But, if the shot is there and I KNOW I can make the shot and kill the animal, I'll take the shot....
Cat
Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Lots of things were whirling through our minds on this one. We finished a day on the mt and were back in camp early due to fog and didn't want to blow everything of the mt. we were on. Started the stove and noticed this beast about 3 miles away down the valley feeding towards us. It was perfect, there was a 200" drop off between us and where we figured he would go. He continued to work toward us for the next couple of hours so we walked over to the cliff and plunded ourselves down and talked about whether or not we wanted to shoot him.

1) Kill him and the sheep hunt was going to be severely hampered,
2) Was he big enough to use a once in a lifetime tag.....heck ya!!!

We went over every scenario.....almost surreal. Had him in the scope for more than an hour.....he was awesome.....long light hair over his hump....a true giant of an interior grizz.

We picked a bush that was 200yds out and decided that we didn't come all the way up here not to kill something......decision made.....this bear was done.

So now I'm on a solid rest and the bear is literally 5 yds from this bush we'd picked out but he wasn't "perfect" yet. All of a sudden he stops and looks back towards his left and raises his nose......then he moves his head back towards our direction and gives one more sniff and that was it....he whirled around and took off at a dead run......never slowing or looking back. Anyone who has ever seen one of these things run knows that you will never be able outrun one......downhill included. What took him hours to walk over, he covered in minutes. He cleared the first crest and we figured he'd stop and hang out....wrong....5 minutes later we saw him crest the next hill.....don't know how far it was.....but he wasn't slowing down.....unreal.....would've taken us a full day to walk that.......guess they don't grow to that size being stupid or brave.

I've replayed this ohhhhhh, maybe a million times in my mind.......it is something that I'll never forget.....what a sight. I've seen many grizz after this and never had one even remotely similar.....he was a classic bear.....fully mature and beautiful........arrrrgggghhhhh......I'm gonna go to the bathroom before my co-workers see the tears.......man I love memories.

tm
Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 AM

I totally agree you have to be vigilant and ready. I could probably do more work on game identification at a distance so as to make a faster decision. I found I was slow last year in an area where I could shoot whitetail does but not mule does, need to be able to judge more quickly and decisively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
I heard a buck grunting and animals running toward a cutline that crossed the pipeline. I tokk the safety off and brought the rifle to my shoulder ready to shoot when the deer came to the cutline. A doe crossed and then a buck appeared.
I do have a bit of concern about shouldering and taking the safety off before you can SEE the target. Bit risky for my personal tastes. That's just me. I'd rather be a bit less prepared and lose the shot than make a tragic mistake.