Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 AM

Default 308 info

Looking for info on a kimber 84m in 308, is this a good gun for moose, elk, and long range for sheep. Would like to know if 308 shells are going to be hard to find, herd they may stop shipping and selling 308 shells does anyone know if this is true. Thanks for all the help Dave
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d bowhunter View Post
Looking for info on a kimber 84m in 308, is this a good gun for moose, elk, and long range for sheep. Would like to know if 308 shells are going to be hard to find, herd they may stop shipping and selling 308 shells does anyone know if this is true. Thanks for all the help Dave
The 308 Winchester is one of the largest selling cartridges out there, and ANYONE who tells you "they" ( whoever that is) are going to quit shipping selling it has his tinfoil hat on too tight!
It is also a fine cartridge for big game.
Yes, there may be faster, heavier, bigger , whatever, but the 308 can getrdun!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-10-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:49 AM

The 84M is a classic example of why the .308 is probably on most riflemens' list of the half dozen or so greatest calibers ever dreamed up. The short action makes for a lighter quicker rifle and the .308 has been in the top 10 for ammo, component and die sales forever. For good reasons, too. Light recoiling and just plain accurate, it can do pretty well anything the "ought-six" can. Sure it starts bullets out a little bit slower, but you'll never find a deer, bear or moose that'll know the difference. The same rifle in any magnum would kick the hell out of you, but the .308's a treat to shoot, like it's offspring the 7mm-08. If there's ever a .308 ammo shortage we might as well all go back to using a spear.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks you guys for the info, its nice to get a nice reply opposed to the negitive dont you know anything about guns. Thank you Dave