Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Default Swaros @ P+D

Just got off the phone with Phil @ P+D. They now have a new source for Swaros and he's presently putting in an order. Timing couldn't have been better for both of us.

I ordered the AV 4-12x50 BT to go on the new 6.5/284 I'm building. Cost is $1449.00 plus GST. I already have this same scope on my 7RM and can't say enough good things about this system. Also have the 6-18x50 BT on a 6/284.

Bobby B.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 AM

Hey Bobby....not to put a downer on this but I'm not sure who the new supplier is. I believe that all Swaro in Canada has to come through Kindermann in ontario.....hence the big price tag. Got mine (av 4-15x50 tds-4) for around $750cdn outta the States. Dealer cost in Canada was just over $1000 if my memory is correct......man I hate Kindermann ....it just ain't right

tm
Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Hey Bobby....not to put a downer on this but I'm not sure who the new supplier is. I believe that all Swaro in Canada has to come through Kindermann in ontario.....hence the big price tag. Got mine (av 4-15x50 tds-4) for around $750cdn outta the States. Dealer cost in Canada was just over $1000 if my memory is correct......man I hate Kindermann ....it just ain't right
Part of the reason for the price difference,is that all Swarovski scopes destined for Canadian dealers come from Austria,so we have to compete with the Euro,and pay import duties.The Swarovski scopes sold in the USA are assembled in the USA so they don't have to compete with the Euro as much,and they don't have to pay import duties.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 AM

All true Elk......Stubblejumper did the legwork on that one last year after we had similar discussion.......just not sure if paying double for something because it was put together in Austria rather than the States is cool.

(ps...mine is a first run with a tds-4......done in Austria....got lucky with that one for sure!!!!)

tm
Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
All true Elk......Stubblejumper did the legwork on that one last year after we had similar discussion.......just not sure if paying double for something because it was put together in Austria rather than the States is cool
I agree that the price difference is excessive,but from what I can see it is not usually double.The scope that Bobby is talking about is being sold for over $1100 by Cabelas.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Not in the market for one today so I'm not up on prices.....when I bought mine they were at $1600 in Canada from authorized dealers......I believe it was in 2001 or 2002.....prior to that they were all done in Austria as the AV line wast only intoduced the year prior to break into the American market.

The lady at Swaro actually offered me a new scope (with the TDS-Plex) + $500 for mine back as the TDS-4 was not being made available to the US assemblers at the time....that has since changed.

tm

Last edited by Tundra Monkey; 03-08-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:47 PM

Default Swaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post

tm
TM
Kinderman is no longer the Swaro Dist. for Canada, plus you can no longer get scopes out of the USA. FS
Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
..... plus you can no longer get scopes out of the USA. FS
Completely untrue.

Many US dealers are willing to get export authorization for shipping scopes to Canada through their Department of Commerce. This process only involves some paperwork. Before the US dealer can apply for an export license the end user (the Canadian purchaser) must get import authorization from the Canadian government. Individual purchasers may get this authorization on their own or to avoid the paperwork you may place an order through an importer. Here are the steps to get that paperwork:

The document is an International Import Certificate issued by;

Export Controls Division (EPE), Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
Export & Import Controls Bureau
P.O. Box 481, Station "A"
Ottawa ON K1N 9K6

STEPS:

1. Obtain the paperwork from above agency
2. Complete and return paperwork
3. DFAIT will issue import paperwork
4. Importer submits paperwork (originals or certified copies) to U.S. exporter
5. US dealer gets export authorization through the Department of Commerce and ships scope.

Or to avoid the paperwork you may place an order through an established importer in Canada.

Last edited by depopulator; 03-10-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=depopulator;280893]Completely untrue.

Many US dealers are willing to get export authorization for shipping scopes to Canada through their Department of Commerce.

X2. You wouldn't even want to know what I paid for my Zeiss's in Cdn$$. If you're willing to do the wait and get it done right, Euro Optics is a great place for S&B, Leica, Zeiss, Meopta and so on and Alex knows how to do the paperwork smoothly.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Just checked out the Euro Optics website and the Swaro 4-12x50 BT is listed for $1158.00US. At today's exchange rate, that translates to $1481.00cdn; plus shipping. Am I missing something?

Bobby B.