Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 AM

Default wholesale sports

Now i'm dissapointed that it will take me longer to save up the money to buy the beretta 471 silverhawk a few weeks ago, it was for $4300 and now they bumped the price to $5300. How can they increase the price by $1000. i guess, they are not to concerned about the competition from basspro. $1000 increase during these economic hard times? In that case, i prefer buying a better quality sxs gun. What kind of premium sxs guns are out there now for $5300? is this beretta worth this kind of cash?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm not trying to justify the price increase, but the price of most guns have gone up recently. Our dollar is worth 20% less compared to what it was compared to the US dollar about a year ago.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 AM

Like the previous guy said our dollar is weak and everything comming into Canada before the store makes any money needs to be marked up 28% to cover exchange rate duties and brokerage so a $3500 gun bought when our dollar was at par is correct a $3500 gun bought at this time of year marked up 28% is a increase of $980 so the price is bang on( it still sucks!) this isn't Wholesales sports Fault our dollar is sucky! and anyone that think Bass Pro is going to be a super cheap place to buy things I think will be in for a shocker! Cabelas in Winnipeg prices are not even close to the US prices every store in Canada is forced to do the 28% mark up Cabelas, Bass Pro, Wholesale Sports they are all the same the only difference between the 2 US stores and Wholesale is that Bass P and Cabelas are not scared to blow out sale items! where Wholesale sports seams to hold on to there items more and have less sales. Which should change now because of competion ( hopefully)
Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 AM

That sucks too bad they cant wait to raise the price until they are selling the stuff that they had to pay that 20% extra on. I know i was in p and d a couple weeks ago and eyeing a couple rifles and was told that when they sold the current stock prices were jumping too bad wholesale did not have the same take on it

As far as bass pro goes I am not holding my breath on saving any money over what russells or wholesale sell stuff for. I checked prices on a couple things i have been thinking of buying and by the time bass pro adjusts prices for the cdn dollar i dont see saving much if i wait to buy from them
Old 03-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Old 03-08-2009, 12:01 PM

Not sure if you've got the cash now, but if you do...........get on the phone, and start calling every shop listed on superpages. I'd be suprised if you couldn't find one at the old price somewhere. $35 for shipping from Ontario or somewhere else is far better than your $1,000 increase. I just went thru the same thing, and found what I was looking for by calling around. Get on it.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Same thing happened to a gun that I was looking at....it only went up $150 bucks....but it went up non the less...odd that in these times the prices would go up ....awell ..guess I'll just keep shooting my old guns until a good deal comes along .....
Old 03-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
" . . . As far as bass pro goes I am not holding my breath on saving any money over what russells or wholesale sell stuff for. I checked prices on a couple things i have been thinking of buying and by the time bass pro adjusts prices for the cdn dollar i dont see saving much if i wait to buy from them"
Sad, but probably true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post

I'm not trying to justify the price increase, but the price of most guns have gone up recently. Our dollar is worth 20% less compared to what it was compared to the US dollar about a year ago.
What Scott (and others) have said is true, but . . .

I'm not in the habit of bashing local retailers (not even WS), but when retailers start making large price increases during a recessionary period (regardless of the reason), they can sometimes end up slitting their own throats.

In addition ... some retailers are in the practise of raising their prices a couple of months before a big 'Sale'. Wholesale Sports, and other local sport retailers are not exceptions ... most of them usually have a big sale sometime in the spring. Are we going to be tricked into thinking we are getting a good deal during their next big sales? Not I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu__82 View Post

" . . . guess I'll just keep shooting my old guns until a good deal comes along .....
Take a tip from Clu ^ . During these hard economic times (and it's goinig to get worse), the ultimate weapon each of us has, is to just simply refuse to take our wallets out of our pockets when when retailers start implementing large price increases. It is sometimes referred to as; "Voting with your wallet".

Keep one eye on the horizon,

TF