Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Default reloading 223 v max

im new to reloading and i have a question about the v max bullets. when seating the slug for the coal do you go off the plastic tip or the lead?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:51 PM

C= Cartridge
O= Overall
L= Length

There are two ways of measuring for a COL.
You can go bullet tip to case base.
Or you can get a comparitor and go from the front of the bullets ogive to the cases base.

Both work, but the comparitor method is more accurate, and allows you to seat all bullets regardless of shape to the same length WRT the start of the rifling.

FWIW:the COL given in the manuals are meaningless in your rifle, as long as the COL allows functioning from a magazine, if equipted, and as long as you are not jamming your bullets into the lands, it is best to determine the best COL for your own rifle. I prefer to start about 4 to 5thou off the lands, and see what developes, for the most part this seems to work fairly well in my rifles, I've only ever had a few rifles that shoot better with more jump to the lands.

And yes it varies from rifle to rifle, even in consequtive serial numbered rifles.

Good luck

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 03-06-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:00 PM

going off my book the col max is 2.26 and what i did was put soot on the slug and got it so there are rifleing on the slug and with that backed in another .005 it was way over the col max. i was getting about 2.38 am and doing somthing wrong?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:03 PM

You aren't doing anything wrong.The COL listed in the manuals is a COL that should cycle in all guns,but it likely won't seat the bullets close to the lands in your gun.That is why you should determine the distance to the lands for a given bullet in your gun.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason223 View Post
going off my book the col max is 2.26 and what i did was put soot on the slug and got it so there are rifleing on the slug and with that backed in another .005 it was way over the col max. i was getting about 2.38 am and doing somthing wrong?
My system of finding the start of the rifling is a bit more refined, but I started just as you have.
As long as the rounds function through your rifle and your not jamming into the lands your golden.

FWIW: Benchrest shooters often jam their bullets into the lands, but their loads are worked up with this in mind, they are usually well below any published max load.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 PM

thanks alot i just wanted to be safe instead of sorry!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
C= Cartridge
O= Overall
L= Length

There are two ways of measuring for a COL.
You can go bullet tip to case base.
Or you can get a comparitor and go from the front of the bullets ogive to the cases base.
I have the tool that Dick is mentioning here. For a relatively minor investment I purchased it online and it is very accurate and it is substantially quicker than sooting the bullet. I too started out the same way FWIW by sooting and I wouldn't go back ever. It is quite remarkable how much the bullets will vary in length within the same lot number of bullets never mind a different lot number. If the bullet lengths are varying than so is the distance to the rifling which is where things can get critical. I think I purchased my comparitor from Sinclair or maybe Hornady.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I have the tool that Dick is mentioning here. For a relatively minor investment I purchased it online and it is very accurate and it is substantially quicker than sooting the bullet. I too started out the same way FWIW by sooting and I wouldn't go back ever. It is quite remarkable how much the bullets will vary in length within the same lot number of bullets never mind a different lot number. If the bullet lengths are varying than so is the distance to the rifling which is where things can get critical. I think I purchased my comparitor from Sinclair or maybe Hornady.
I don't use a comparator ,and I don't soot bullets.I put a small crimp in the neck of a fired casing,and start a bullet int o the casing.I then place the casing into the chamber and slowly close the bolt.I then carefully remove the casing and measure the COL to determine the distance to the lands.I do this with several bullets,and average the reading to account for any differences in the bullet tips.It may not be accurate to the last thousandth,but it is close enough for all practical purposes.Of course ,you need to do this for every different bullet that you intend to load.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
FWIW: Benchrest shooters often jam their bullets into the lands, but their loads are worked up with this in mind, they are usually well below any published max load.
Don't know about the long range benchrest guys with the bigger cartridges but most short range benchrest shooters that use the little benchrest cartridges like the 6PPC and the myriad of little wildcats that have spawned from that case generally run them a little on the hot side. Jammed into the lands and a few grains over book max often finds the sweet spot in accuracy for these little cartridges.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Don't know about the long range benchrest guys with the bigger cartridges but most short range benchrest shooters that use the little benchrest cartridges like the 6PPC and the myriad of little wildcats that have spawned from that case generally run them a little on the hot side. Jammed into the lands and a few grains over book max often finds the sweet spot in accuracy for these little cartridges.
I stand corrected.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
A "little on the hot side"??
Crap, Bushrat, Ed Begg recommneded I run the 6mmBRR he built past " OH MY GAWD"!!
Wally Euber , IIRC, used to carry a hardwood stick with him to open his bolt?
Cat
Old 03-07-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A "little on the hot side"??
Crap, Bushrat, Ed Begg recommneded I run the 6mmBRR he built past " OH MY GAWD"!!
Wally Euber , IIRC, used to carry a hardwood stick with him to open his bolt?
Cat
haha, yah the tight chamber lapua brass small case table shootin one hole five shot group obsessed misfit crowd tend to run a 'little' heavy on the powder. hammering the bolt open would disturb the gun to much in the bags and screw up our return to battery and wreck your match, besides we are not allowed hammers on the line at a match so we stay under bolt seizure loads and constantly grease our lugs.

Last edited by Bushrat; 03-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.