Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 08:13 AM

Default Tikka fit vs Browning

I am looking at buying a Tikka T3X however when shouldering the stores guns they seem to be 1/2-1 inch short of sitting on my shoulder properly. I also tried a Browning X bolt which shouldered up much better and compared the two rifles side by side and it appeared that the X-bolt's butt end of the stock was longer by about 1/2 inch.
As I was hoping to purchase a T3X I am wondering if there is a fit fix for the stocks lack of length? Shim? Replacement stock ?....Thanks...
Old 09-22-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puphood1 View Post
I am looking at buying a Tikka T3X however when shouldering the stores guns they seem to be 1/2-1 inch short of sitting on my shoulder properly. I also tried a Browning X bolt which shouldered up much better and compared the two rifles side by side and it appeared that the X-bolt's butt end of the stock was longer by about 1/2 inch.
As I was hoping to purchase a T3X I am wondering if there is a fit fix for the stocks lack of length? Shim? Replacement stock ?....Thanks...
You can buy butt pads that are thick to increase the length of pull.

I went with a limb saver pad as the tikkas are bad for kicking.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:48 PM

I did the same. Ended up walking out with the x-bolt.
No regrets.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:07 PM

It may be a model thing for fit. I have a T3x CTR that has a perfect lop for me. I'm 6'4" and like a longish stock.

As for recoil, it's a .308 with a heavy barrel. However it recoils about the same as my Ruger gsr. I do plan on picking up a hunter model at some point this winter in 7mm rem mag, so we'll see about that.

That CTR, btw, shoots a 3/4 moa fouling group.

Colin
Old 09-26-2019, 07:23 AM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
You can buy butt pads that are thick to increase the length of pull.

I went with a limb saver pad as the tikkas are bad for kicking.
Thanks. Was yours a T3x. As they have changed the recoil pad on the T3x? If so how much thicker is the new limb saver and is it a good fit to the gun?. I put a limb saver on my M77 years ago and had to make it fit....Thanks again....

Last edited by puphood1; 09-26-2019 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-26-2019, 07:33 AM

I love guys that walk into the gun shop with visions of sugar plumbs in there head in September with there t shirts on, shoulder rifles ooogle and giggle and buy something new and shiny then comes November and they put on 4 layers of clothing and they can’t get the sight picture correct in there scope because there LOP is to long and there scope is to forward set up for them
In the store while they wore they’re coolest mossy oak T shirt!!
Old 09-26-2019, 08:45 AM

I like both rifles but the x bolt fit me better,t3x are a lighter rifle and carry nicer but like others have said a limbsaver is a must on them.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:11 AM

Browning's for me all the way.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I love guys that walk into the gun shop with visions of sugar plumbs in there head in September with there t shirts on, shoulder rifles ooogle and giggle and buy something new and shiny then comes November and they put on 4 layers of clothing and they can’t get the sight picture correct in there scope because there LOP is to long and there scope is to forward set up for them
In the store while they wore they’re coolest mossy oak T shirt!!
LOL dang man, better hope the temperature doesn't change when you're hunting. If you have to take off your jacket you might never get that shot off!
Old 09-26-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
LOL dang man, better hope the temperature doesn't change when you're hunting. If you have to take off your jacket you might never get that shot off!
Old 09-26-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Hey bubba I was at bass pro and got a sweet deal on a rifle for the old lady, got the scope mounted up with there best guy out of the fishing department. Took the old lady out to McLean creek to get it sighted in weather was real hot so she had her dress on obviously. Fired off a bunch of round at a tree till it fell over. Poor old lady got a black eye from something can’t figure it out. Guy at bass pro was a professional gun fit me great. Got a nice picture of my girl shooting her tightest group yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51D3AB6E-ADCF-480B-8C0F-67817FA9945C.jpg (46.1 KB, 93 views)