Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 04:20 PM

Default Electric Lawn Mowers

I have a bad shoulder and don't want to crank my gas mower any more.
So, I'm considering an electric mower for my standard sized City lot.
I did a quick Google search and it appears the new electric mowers are much better than the older ones. I want to be sure it has enough power to cut both my front and back lawns without a re-charge. I know they are much quitter than gas mowers but batteries need replacing every 2 to 3 years.
I'm thinking about a Stihl product as I have had good success with their products and their service is good as well.
Looking forward to hearing your advice and opinions.
Bill
Old 04-13-2021, 04:33 PM

Whatever you get, I would budget having an extra battery - you'll thank me later.

One thing to take into consideration is whether the power packs are interchangeable - for instance, if you eventually want to add a blower or trimmer to the lineup, it's great if they can share batteries.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:37 PM

Could look at a Honda key start unit. The modern ones should be pretty good just try and be efficient in how you use it. If you do get one try it for a bit before you get another battery
Old 04-13-2021, 04:46 PM

I got a Stihl and its been great , yes battery and chargers are extra
Old 04-13-2021, 04:47 PM

Ive had a greenworks crappy tire one for 7-8 years. 20" 40v battery. No trouble so far, been.great!! i have a rather large back yard. Mower will do front/back and maybe another front before charging. Ive been really happy with it.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:55 PM

Default Electric mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
I got a Stihl and its been great , yes battery and chargers are extra
I bought an electric Stihl hand held blower last year and, indeed, found out charger and battery were extra. My guess is the battery may be compatible with a trimmer but not big enough for a mower. I'll check that out. I'm sure I will get an extra battery for the mower as well.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
I have a bad shoulder and don't want to crank my gas mower any more....
Bill
Why not just get an electric-start gas mower? You surely don't crank your car to start it; no need to do that with a gas mower either. The little battery on mine is charged separately with any good trickle-charger to keep the mower's price down. But it will go for many weeks before being noticeably drawn down from starting.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I bought an electric Stihl hand held blower last year and, indeed, found out charger and battery were extra. My guess is the battery may be compatible with a trimmer but not big enough for a mower. I'll check that out. I'm sure I will get an extra battery for the mower as well.
We picked up a stihl cordless trimmer last year. With the bigger battery it is incredible. That is the unit I would get, as batteries are interchangeable. The cordless chainsaw would be an awesome investment also.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:11 PM

Picked up an Ego last year from the lawnmower hospital in Edmonton. They were great and they price beat HD. As for the mower it has been fantastic, bought it mostly for the wife to use and she loves it.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 04-13-2021, 10:25 PM

Have had good luck with the ego products, I have the blower, weed wacker, hedge trimmer and chainsaw all use the same battery and have been great. My buddy has the ego lawn mower and he loves its. I bought my stuff at home depot, watch for sales.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I did a quick Google search and it appears the new electric mowers are much better than the older ones. I want to be sure it has enough power to cut both my front and back lawns without a re-charge. I know they are much quitter than gas mowers but batteries need replacing every 2 to 3 years.
I'm thinking about a Stihl product as I have had good success with their products and their service is good as well.
Bill
Add up costs to buy one, long cords, spare battery etc & then ask a local kid how much they will charge to cut your lawn, with what you have.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:08 AM

Default Electric mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Why not just get an electric-start gas mower? You surely don't crank your car to start it; no need to do that with a gas mower either. The little battery on mine is charged separately with any good trickle-charger to keep the mower's price down. But it will go for many weeks before being noticeably drawn down from starting.
Who makes an electric start mower? I couldn't find one on Stihl's web site.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
https://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawn...electric-start

https://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawn...electric-start
Old 04-14-2021, 08:22 AM

I have had Electric mowers for decades, believing that spilled gas is bad, I'm young. Forget about electric mowers with a cord get one of the new battery types and your problems, if you have any, are over.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:25 AM

Consumer Reports rates Ego the highest in all of the battery powered categories, and in most cases the next one isn't even close. Some of their battery powered tools have actually outperformed the top gas version of the same tool. In my view, the big problem with all battery tools is the replacement cycle on the batteries. A good gas more will run for 30 years with nothing more than oil and filters every couple of years. Once they build a battery that will last 15 years I will start looking seriously at electric tools.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:26 AM

I bought a hand held Stihl weed eater with the paddles and regret it. Plastic paddles are little improvement over using plastic cord. Battery gives about 25 minutes of run time and takes almost 2 hours to recharge.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Ive had a greenworks crappy tire one for 7-8 years. 20" 40v battery. No trouble so far, been.great!! i have a rather large back yard. Mower will do front/back and maybe another front before charging. Ive been really happy with it.
I ran one for years and never had an issue either.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Bill
I have a Toro , gas powered,electric start pacer mower. I rarely charge the unit perhaps once a year. I have shoulder issues as well, this is an excellent mower easy to operate.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:37 AM

The Honda
s Elk posted don't need charging, they charge the battery while running. I looked at the electric starts when I bought my last Honda, but since they all pretty much start on the first pull I didn't bother. One less battery to keep on a tender over winter, but if I had shoulder issues I sure would.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:50 AM

We have had an EGO mower and string trimmer at our cabin for the past 3 years. They are great. Quiet, easy to store. Never worried about the carb fouling. My mom loves it as she doesn’t have to worry about pouring gas or keeping a jerry can on hand. It’s light and does a good job. One battery will usually get us two mows of the front and back yard.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-14-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Once they build a battery that will last 15 years I will start looking seriously at electric tools.
I have to agree with you, but me thinks it all has to do with the amount of time it takes. I am 82 so I don't know how much time I have left and I consider it a chore, therefor I have to go with electric, "WITHOUT THE CORD". The only thing that prevents me is the amount is the amount of time it takes me. (There we go on time again), DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
I have to agree with you, but me thinks it all has to do with the amount of time it takes. I am 82 so I don't know how much time I have left and I consider it a chore, therefor I have to go with electric, "WITHOUT THE CORD". The only thing that prevents me is the amount is the amount of time it takes me. (There we go on time again), DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So in your case the battery needs to lasts 18 years or more.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean2 View Post
so in your case the battery needs to lasts 18 years or more.
"exactly"
Old 04-14-2021, 06:15 PM

Default Battery powered mowers

I hear enough positives on battery power mowers, that I will pay my Stihl dealer a visit.
I have used an 18" for years and years, but I think I'll splurge and get the larger 20/21" width. Not so sure I need a self propelled for a city lot. What is everyone's experience, self propelled or not?
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and sharing your experiences. Very helpful.
Bill
Old 04-14-2021, 06:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Cub Cadet
Old 04-14-2021, 07:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I hear enough positives on battery power mowers, that I will pay my Stihl dealer a visit.
I have used an 18" for years and years, but I think I'll splurge and get the larger 20/21" width. Not so sure I need a self propelled for a city lot. What is everyone's experience, self propelled or not?
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and sharing your experiences. Very helpful.
Bill
We had a self propelled electric star...they are okay going in a straight line, but very heavy to pull back and go around objects like planters, trees etc. The wife came home with a battery powered one (yardworks) we have a double lot in town and can mow that and still have lots of battery left and much easier to navigate , it's only been 2 seasons but flawless so far and will never go back to gas power
Old 04-14-2021, 07:25 PM

I won't consider an electric mower until such times that the battery can maintain at least 80% of original charge and rated power output over a period of at least 10 years.

Lithium Ion technology batteries are just to fragile over the long term, they have a finite number of charge/recharge cycles before they quickly degrade. Now add some unintentional misuse of the battery in the form of storage voltages and temperatures and you have decreased the battery life even further.

Those batteries are not cheap, if your hoping your electric mower will last as long as a well maintained gas mower, well you better stock up on more than 1 extra battery. One other point is that electric motor requires maintenance also.

Electric mowers are another one of those Eco initiatives which end up costing the consumer a lot more money, and the manufacturers a lot more profit.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:57 AM

Another vote for Greenworks. Bought it with an extra battery 9 yrs ago. Zero issues.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:19 AM

I am using my fathers JD mower that was built in the 90s. He used it for 20 years, and when he passed away, I started using it. The forced oil system, and spin on filter likely played a huge part in this mower still running so well after 25 years.When it no longer runs well, I will shop for a new one, maybe in 20 years they will have electric mowers with lifetime batteries.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am using my fathers JD mower that was built in the 90s. He used it for 20 years, and when he passed away, I started using it. The forced oil system, and spin on filter likely played a huge part in this mower still running so well after 25 years.When it no longer runs well, I will shop for a new one, maybe in 20 years they will have electric mowers with lifetime batteries.

I have a JD ride on with 900 (ish) hours on it & it should go over 1000 hours this year......and still going strong.
Change oil (10/30 full syn) and filter often (I change every 50 hours) .