Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 10:17 AM

Default Opinions, please....Rock Auto

I first found out about Rock Auto from posts on AO, and have looked at their site a number of times for a whole bunch of parts for an older vehicle I'm fixing up for my nephew.

Their pricing is good, shipping is reasonably fair (I think, as long as FedEx doesn't play their huge $$$ "customs clearance" game) and they have a great selection.

What they also have are thousands and thousands of poor reviews for poor customer service, problems with returns, missing parts in shipments, or incomplete shipments, etc.

I've spotted a couple of negative reviews even on this forum. So before I drop my credit card number on the checkout page, I'd really like to get "real world" feedback from trusted sources instead of anonymous videos and posts online.

Thanks!

OldNewGuy
Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 AM

Default Rock Auto

I also found them via this forum. The 2 times I used them service was excellent. That included 1 returned item. They have an excellent selection so you can find anything you need. 2 thumbs from me.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 AM

With my employer discount at Ford, GM, and NAPA most times Rock Auto isn't cheaper or barely cheaper. Never enough savings that it has ever been worth my while to order from them strictly for the reasons you list. That has been my real world experience with them.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:26 AM

Found them to be good for pricing but sometimes local can be just as good.
Still pays to check around.

They don't play the customs charges game.
If buying multiple items shipping can get weird as they ship from several locations so things can arrive at different times and you pay more for shipping from 2 locations.
I've ordered numerous times and the only issue I had was when they shipped me a set of truck brake pads with a transmission filter in the same box and they were banging around all the way. The filter ended up broken. They shipped a new one out but that one arrived with rust on it. After that they wouldn't ship another and refunded my money.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:39 AM

I used them for the first time a couple of months ago to order a set of headlights for a Lincoln. Price was much better than local.
One item was shipped from Tennessee and arrived in about 5 days. The other headlight was shipped from California, got stopped in customs, and arrived in about 3 weeks. I called about the delay and they were very cordial. There was no extra charges for anything.

Sig
Old 04-12-2021, 10:44 AM

Have been buying from Rock for 30 years, literally hundreds of orders. In all that time never a wrong part or missing pieces. The shipping charges are "ALL in" no matter what carrier. Fedex is often half the price of postal service, particularly on heavy or long pieces like bumpers, and they are not allowed to do the brokerage and other crap fees.

In all that time I only had one item I needed to return because it just didn't fit. Sent pictures of the shaft spline problem, got full refund, including shipping both ways with no aggravation at all. I check Partsking here in Edmonton and sometimes they are close enough in price to buy it there, but I bought all the front end Moog parts for my 96 Dodge and they were literally 1/3, including exchange and shipping, of the cheapest I could find them here. Same for the OEM Aisin timing belt kit for a Lexus, literally 1/4 the lowest price in Canada.

If you don't know or aren't sure what you are ordering this is not the place to deal. You order the wrong part it is pretty much your problem, and that is what generates a lot of the complaints, people don't like to own their own screw ups.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-12-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:48 AM

Ordered a few parts from them and always got them fast and at a good price. Parts king in Edmonton has great pricing in alot of prices as well
Old 04-12-2021, 10:53 AM

I've had good experiences with Rock Auto

I also recommend trying Warehouse services in south edmonton. They distribute to many automotive mechanic shops in the area. Prices are fair.

https://wsionline.ca/

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 04-12-2021, 10:53 AM

No issues, also order from wrench monkey ca, and they are also good.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:02 AM

Have made maybe 8 to 12 orders on Rock Auto, including a part that had a core return, and have never had an issue.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have been buying from Rock for 30 years, literally hundreds of orders. In all that time never a wrong part or missing pieces. The shipping charges are "ALL in" no matter what carrier. Fedex is often half the price of postal service, particularly on heavy or long pieces like bumpers, and they are not allowed to do the brokerage and other crap fees.

In all that time I only had one item I needed to return because it just didn't fit. Sent pictures of the shaft spline problem, got full refund, including shipping both ways with no aggravation at all. I check Partsking here in Edmonton and sometimes they are close enough in price to buy it there, but I bought all the front end Moog parts for my 96 Dodge and they were literally 1/3, including exchange and shipping, of the cheapest I could find them here. Same for the OEM Aisin timing belt kit for a Lexus, literally 1/4 the lowest price in Canada.

If you don't know or aren't sure what you are ordering this is not the place to deal. You order the wrong part it is pretty much your problem, and that is what generates a lot of the complaints, people don't like to own their own screw ups.

You are absolutely correct. In 2003 I was doing a CV joint on a 97 honda civic. Replaced the entire assembly and I had an ABS light that popped up on the dash. I then realised I had the CV joint did not have an ABS sensor on it. So I went back to partsource being a big baby about it(broke highschool teen). They told me its because I never mentioned the ABS option. I also already installed it and its considered used so they would not except the return.

In the end it was my problem and I realised I should have done my due diligence. I should have inspected and double checked the parts before installing. I drove that honda civic with no ABS for the rest of its life.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 04-12-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
With my employer discount at Ford, GM, and NAPA most times Rock Auto isn't cheaper or barely cheaper. Never enough savings that it has ever been worth my while to order from them strictly for the reasons you list. That has been my real world experience with them.
For those of us that don't have the magic "anti- BOHICA" card, RockAuto is definitely a way to save serious money on auto parts.
I have ordered from RockAuto 5 times, and will do so again. The landed costs ranged from 1/3 to 1/2 of buying the exact same parts locally.

As for negative reviews about packaging/shipping issues? You need to know that RockAuto does not have any stocking warehouse locations, it is an online business (an App) that provides a purchasing portal to independent warehouses throughout the U.S. RockAuto does not have direct control of the employees doing the packaging for shipment.
Any orders that originate from multiple shipping locations need to reimburse each stocking warehouse accordingly. It's still way cheaper than buying it locally.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...o-work.327058/

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-12-2021, 11:33 AM

Ordered 4-5 times never a problem my first order was a headlight
I bought a headlight a buddy told me about RO local dealer $235 rock auto $65 delivered, they were identical I returned the one to the dealer for a refund
Old 04-12-2021, 11:39 AM

Only had positive experiences with Rock Auto, and costs for quality parts were always substantially less than thru local suppliers especially the stealerships.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
For those of us that don't have the magic "anti- BOHICA" card, RockAuto is definitely a way to save serious money on auto parts.
Hahahaha fair enough, but you'd be surprised how many people are eligible for employer discounts but never ever ask. Does your work have Ford trucks; if they do I bet you get a discount at Ford.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:55 AM

Ordered from them twice - both times the items came quicker than I had expected (always braced myself for longer waits for crossing the border) and the items were exactly what I needed. You do need to shop around a bit as they aren't always the cheapest option, but with the dollar being pretty good right now, I expect they would be competitive for most items. I would recommend them.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:03 PM

We use it nearly every month. It’s just about as good as it gets. If you pay for it they will send it. Now there are different shipping houses and as such there may be some confusion with the shipping times and locations but you can always email them to alleviate it some of it.

Their prices are generally solid but certainly not always. Always check locally to see prices and as with most things bigger orders can save on shipping costs making the price of the parts better. Returns are generally good however depending on weather or not you have to pay return shipping it may not make sense to send them back.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:06 PM

Have used them four different times, no problems. Last one was close on price due to hefty shipping. Always make your local calls first, for piece of mind.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:47 PM

Have ordered from them about twenty times with not a problem. Eureka is about 1.5 hrs from my door so I pick it up and fill a slip tank with red dye while I am there which does not go into my vehicles. Nice way to burn the day with a side trip to Kalispell on occasion.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:58 PM

dont forget to look up the 5% discount code
Old 04-12-2021, 01:08 PM

I recommend and use them every time. I'm replacing my exhaust manifold this week from rock auto. I just stay away from some of the really cheap parts like ultra power.

Snapped some screws though.
Automotive journeyman mobile services inc. came and took them out for me. I didn't have the courage to do it myself
Old 04-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Been buying for years. Not one single problem. In fact I need to order new headlights for my car soon. Won't bother looking elsewhere.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:53 PM

I have used them quite a few times also. The last time though was a mess. Fedex lost my order. It was 3 weeks before I could actually communicate with Rockauto about the problem. There is no way to talk to anyone. Eventually I got it cancelled and ordered elsewhere.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:09 PM

I have learned the hard way that it is the delivery companies that are the problem.
So I will order smaller priced items to be delivered but if I am spending lots of dough I want the product in my hand.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:00 PM

Default certainly not a big Rock customer

But we occasionally order a couple years of filters (oil and air). I like quality parts and they have great prices and never a problem on service with only 1 return in 3 or 4 years.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:26 PM

I have used them many times, most experiences being great. An updated spider injector assembly for a 98 gmc was fully HALF price of what a local place would charge, exact same part.

Only part quality issue was a set of cats and 02 sensors for wifes xterra..bought a better option they carried (catco maybe???- wasnt the economy line) and they didnt last long before screwing up and messing with the 02 sensors.

Overall happy and sometimes the price difference is incredible. Bilstein shocks for wifes xterra were at least half of up here.:crazy.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:19 PM

I did a head gasket job on dad's 01 duramax with a lot of parts for Rock Auto. Got a complete set of coolant hoses, new tstats, glow plugs, idler pullies, gaskets, etc for it. Also a door handle and a windshield wiper arm. Had 4 orders from them for that job.

I used Lincoln Diesel for injectors, and went with a upgraded SAC 45 over style which aren't supposed to have the hazing and plugging problem of the original ones.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:34 PM

Been buying from a Rock several times a year for 10 ish years. Usually my orders arrive at my door for about half of what I'd pay here, with a business account at the local parts stores. No issues at all.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:59 AM

Default Thanks for the Rock Auto feedback! Placed an order

It seems overwhelmingly that R/A gets decent feedback from this group.

I've placed a (small) order this first time, only a couple of hundred $$, since I'm the ultra-cautious type and wanted to try their service before committing big dollars for parts I need to get. I will say Rock Auto acknowledged receipt of order immediately, then 3 hours later got a notice that all items had shipped via FedEx already, and were expected at my home on Wednesday 14 April for one shipment and Thursday 15 April for a second shipment. FedEx actual tracking confirmed shipment pick up.

Thanks to all who replied! It is appreciated.

O.N.G.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:00 AM

I always strive to buy local but when it comes to automotive parts, it’s outrageous the amount of mark-up local dealers add on. I’m not a donation machine I work way to hard for my pay check.

I’ve used rock auto several times over the years never an issue parts are commonly 50% less than what I can source locally and delivery is reasonable if your willing to wait a few days.

I’ve never needed to return anything so haven’t had that experience yet but from all accounts it appears to be a smooth process more often than not.