Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2021, 07:24 PM

Default Solo fish pics.

I do most of my fishing alone, usually for predator species, and quite often from shore or in a canoe. Pictures of fish in the water without anything for reference typically don't do a good job of showing any size, and having trouble coming up with a way of humanely getting good pictures of my bigger fish without packing a bunch more gear (which would probably just jinx things anyways) I've more or less quit even trying.

Just wondering if anyone has a solution, or even some sample pics that would give me some good ideas?
Old 04-10-2021, 07:32 PM

Go pro on a tripod and use the voice command. It will snap pics for you when you tell it to.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-10-2021, 09:33 PM

I use my phone camera. Set it up against something.
while the fish is in the net and still in the water I start a video with the front camera so I can see myself then pick out the fish and turn to the camera. Return the fish then stop the video. After you can pause the video for a screenshot
Old 04-10-2021, 09:41 PM

Default Solo fish pics.

I use a GoPro hooked up to a power bank. I keep it on all day as soon as I catch a fish I just say “”GoPro take a photo” “ voice command

Don’t need to pull out a phone or camera, don’t even need to touch it to turn the power on since it’s on the powerbank

Quality will come out better then a screenshot

Done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife

Last edited by HuyFishin; 04-10-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 PM

Default Put the fish first

Unless you’re killing them to eat, keep them wet. There’s no glory in taking a photo of a suffocating fish that’s not going to be kept.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:33 PM

For a first person view of your catches you could get a baseball cap spy cam that records for an hour. It's a cam built into your ball cap.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-11-2021, 10:25 AM

Could lead them into a cradle and snap a pic in there.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-11-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Could lead them into a cradle and snap a pic in there.
Some good suggestions here, but I should mention, unless I'm in the big boat, or fishing for trout I usually dont bring a net. I do too much hiking and bushwhacking to pack along a big enough net to be any use, the exception being if I am fishing off of a river bank that doesnt let me get down to the water. T

The other thing is that much of the time, when shore fishing, I move pretty much constantly, so leaving a tripod set up wouldnt be very practical. Maybe I need to get creative with a selfy stick or something, or just quit worrying about the sceptics when I tell them about the big fish I caught but didnt bother to photograph.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Maybe I need to get creative with a selfy stick or something, or just quit worrying about the sceptics when I tell them about the big fish I caught but didnt bother to photograph.
As I've aged, I find I'm more concerned with the welfare of the fish, and less with trophy photos. Still some photos of fish in the water, at the end of my line & flopping about on the surface, but more and more scenic photos of the location, often incorporating the rod & reel, and now I always take photos of the successful flies of the day, as my memory isn't what it used to be!
Old 04-13-2021, 09:28 AM

It's been said, but truly the best option for you will be a GoPro. The newest Hero 9 has a front facing screen so you will be able to see yourself when you tell go pro to take your picture.

That's not how I use it though. I set my gopro to video mode and using the GoPro software on my phone, I grab screen captures (photos) from the video. That way you always get the image you want when the fish flops around and you also get some action shots as you reel it in and release it. It also cuts down on handling time - land the fish, point it at the camera, smile and hold 2-3 seconds and then its back in the water. No messing with buttons or settings while the fish is out of the water. You do need a decent phone, but my iphone 7 is old and does the trick.

Joby makes tripods that have flexible legs that you can use to wrap around trees, thwarts or whatever is around you. Either the Joby or the Gopro Jaws Flex Clamp is what I would suggest.

Also, GoPro is waterproof. Trust me - you want that!

All the images in this post were taken with my GoPro:

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/p...-buying-guide/

Old 04-13-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
As I've aged, I find I'm more concerned with the welfare of the fish, and less with trophy photos. Still some photos of fish in the water, at the end of my line & flopping about on the surface, but more and more scenic photos of the location, often incorporating the rod & reel, and now I always take photos of the successful flies of the day, as my memory isn't what it used to be!
Yeah, I've hardly photographed a big fish in about 4 years, just a couple pictures of fish I ate and a few the kids caught. This year I've got some fairly ambitious plans, hiking/ portaging into some pretty out of the way places that I know will hold good fish, seemed like getting some pics would be nice.

Yesterday I scouted one of these places out just to see if it could be done, I broke a snowshoe (first time I've broken a millsurp shoe) and fell through some thin ice on a beaver pond up to my waist, but was pleased to discover it was half doable. Several km on quad, portage my canoe and gear over 1.5 km of muskeg to the headwaters of a small creek, an 8 km paddle and twice that many beaver dams and I'll hopefully be into a few days of epic pike fishing. Seems like I should take pics.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:53 PM

I use a small old style digital camera (most of us have one kicking around) easier to grip then my phone and less risky. Put my free hand on the fish for perspective, often while still in the net.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yesterday I scouted one of these places out just to see if it could be done, I broke a snowshoe (first time I've broken a millsurp shoe) and fell through some thin ice on a beaver pond up to my waist, but was pleased to discover it was half doable. Several km on quad, portage my canoe and gear over 1.5 km of muskeg to the headwaters of a small creek, an 8 km paddle and twice that many beaver dams and I'll hopefully be into a few days of epic pike fishing. Seems like I should take pics.
Definitely sounds like a trip worthy of pictures.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:31 PM

Rod is a good measuring stick