Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-29-2021, 01:17 PM

Default Cellular trail cameras

Which cellular trail cameras does everyone like to use? Looking into getting one myself and wondering which ones are good to buy? Thank you in advance
Old 03-29-2021, 03:34 PM

I’m trying out the cell link from Spypoint and it’s not horrible, but not perfect either.

It does send me photos via the app, but I am still not sure if the existing camera it’s plugged into is communicating 100% all the time like it should. I got a few photos yesterday (I have it set to upload once a day), probably set off by a squirrel.

The nice thing is my existing cameras get “upgraded” to remote upload for a lot less than the cost of a single integrated unit.

Last season was a little frustrating as it was not sending anything, but when I got out there in the snow there was no recent looking tracks so it’s hard to say how well it did or did not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2021, 10:11 PM

Tactacam Reveal.
Been 2-3 threads already on the Reveal.
Pretty well sold out in AB and Sask, but a few left in BC.
Their new Reveal X model will be out by summer.
I like mine, got 2 now, but I hope they improve a few items on my wish list.

TBark
Old 03-30-2021, 12:18 AM

Default Tactacams

I’m running a bunch of Tactacams and they have been relatively flawless on lithium batteries. The one thing I did notice with the deer last fall is that I think they are a little louder on triggering than some of my other cameras. Not a huge deal for deer but I am wondering what the bears will do to them if I am right. I just had a bear proof box custom made for one so we will see in a few weeks if I’m right.

If anyone with Tactacams wants to see what I had made up for bears just shoot me a pm with your cell number and I can text you a pic, I can’t post pics on here.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:44 AM

Another vote for the Tactacams, for the price point you absolutely cannot beat them.

I run or have run Ridgetec and Spypoint cellular cameras as well. Ridgetec would be of similar quality as the Tactacams (although it will text me directly rather than having to use an app), but is twice the price.

The Spypoint mini's that I have used are the similar price point as the Tactacams but do not even compare to the quality; Very poor cell reception, lots of false pictures. The Spypoint minis are now treated as a regular cameras, I no longer purchase the cellular plans as they just aren't worth the cost and frustration.

So far I am really impressed with the Tactacam quality. I put out one camera in the same spot that one of my Spypoint minis could rarely get enough service to send a picture, and the Tactacam has not missed a picture, it is getting full bars of service. Plus I left it out all winter and it lasted on cheap Kirkland AA's (I thought that I had put lithium's in the camera, and was happy enough with the length of time the batteries lasted, but was blown away when I went to change them out and realized they were Kirklands)

I honestly do not think that there is a choice in Cellular Cameras. Hands down Tactacam.

DR
Old 04-03-2021, 03:00 PM

Thank you for the replies. Went with a reconeco scout HD camera, had a promo code to use with it so that helped and they are a local company to. I noticed the tactacams were sold out too or I would of maybe ordered one, they look like a great camera too.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:05 AM

Another vote for the Tactacam. My only real issue is that it seems to chew up batteries pretty quick when it’s cold out. I was using standard alkaline batteries so that might be the issue, but I’m just too frugal to spend the money on lithium batteries.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:05 PM

I set out a tactacam in late November and its been out all winter, shows 60% batts still. I was getting some pics of just the tail end of a few deer, re read the manual and put the sensitivity at medium, problem solved. Can't beat 149$ on sale.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:17 PM

Wheres a guy find tactacams locally to buy?
Old 07-25-2021, 10:13 PM

Default They work in Canada?

Hey guys,

I only see ATT and Verizon listed on their website.

Assume all the replies from guys on here would mean Telus, Bell, Rogers, etc here in Alberta can also run these??
Old 07-26-2021, 01:24 AM

I have been using the cell link for a few months and it worked flawlessly with my browning trail camera. A few weeks ago it stopped sending pics. Found squirrel bites in the connection cable. That's bears, woodpeckers and now squirrels that have damaged or destroyed my cameras in the last 2 years.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:00 AM

I got two stealth cam fusions for Christmas one works fine the other sends mostly pics of bush. Either they have quality control issues or they don’t do well in tight bush. The one that is working is in an open location for my style of hunting so I ? If that is the difference

Either way do to lack of service in my hunting areas I don’t think I want anymore cell cams.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Hey guys,

Assume all the replies from guys on here would mean Telus, Bell, Rogers, etc here in Alberta can also run these??
Telus is my service provider and my Tactacam works fine.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Hey guys,

Yeah if I remember correctly, the Tactacams use ATT only in Canada (do not get Verizon for use in Canada), and piggy back off local providers.

DR
Old 07-26-2021, 11:56 AM

Yes Tac Cam uses the ones listed, not your provider as they aren’t emailed to you.
They are uploaded to them and you view and manage pics by logging in via the Tac Cam app.

TBark
Old 07-26-2021, 02:28 PM

Spypoint link micro solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2021, 03:27 PM

I have 2 spypoint link cellular and one spypoint link adapter all work good work great with lithium batteries

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I have 2 spypoint link cellular and one spypoint link adapter all work good work great with lithium batteries

Picture