Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 01:22 AM

Default Polar bear hides returned from the fur auction

Not really an Alberta trapping story but is fur industry related. Sad to see polar bear hides are taking a hit because of fur quality. Just read about hides being sent back to Nunavut from the auction house.
https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/articl...2BRQI.facebook

This sort of emphasizes the importance of producing the best prime fur possible.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-03-2021, 06:43 AM

So the hunters got 3000 dollars from the local government as an advance and that’s the auction houses minimum.

The shippers can “buyback” the bids from the government if they want. Who is going to pay 3000 dollars for a hide that is not worth that, besides the government of course.

Wonder if the government kept the difference if it sold for higher than 3000 or if the difference went to the Hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskfly16 View Post
So the hunters got 3000 dollars from the local government as an advance and that’s the auction houses minimum.

The shippers can “buyback” the bids from the government if they want. Who is going to pay 3000 dollars for a hide that is not worth that, besides the government of course.

Wonder if the government kept the difference if it sold for higher than 3000 or if the difference went to the Hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the guaranteed price fur plan that I'm familiar with anything over the guarantee goes to the trapper. Its a win win and only feasible to a government. Like these poor quality polar bear hides the "grub stake" program in the NWT saw $200 fronted for a minimum 20 muskrats. The intent was circumvented and the vast majority of the rats were shot not trapped and in terrible shape, unmarketable. But the fellow got his money for them. This kind of program just makes me shake my head.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:08 PM

Default When I lived in Sudbury I frequented the NB fur auction a few times

One of the things I found surprizing was the low price of some polar bears which were of interest to me for some reason. Looked at many that didnt get bids of more than $300 or $500. When I actually viewed the pelt it was obvious why. Poor blotchy short fur or poor dryng and stretching. I saw 12 foot skins that should have been squared to about 8 so like anything else the quality reflects the price. If the government advanced $3000 on every polar bear submitted to them they are in for a rude awakening. Cant be sold in USA at all so most go cheaply to china or Japan where they are cut into tiny strips for floating fishing flies.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
One of the things I found surprizing was the low price of some polar bears which were of interest to me for some reason. Looked at many that didnt get bids of more than $300 or $500. When I actually viewed the pelt it was obvious why. Poor blotchy short fur or poor dryng and stretching. I saw 12 foot skins that should have been squared to about 8 so like anything else the quality reflects the price. If the government advanced $3000 on every polar bear submitted to them they are in for a rude awakening. Cant be sold in USA at all so most go cheaply to china or Japan where they are cut into tiny strips for floating fishing flies.
Government paid $3000 for each and every one of them. Worse there are cubs and sows all killed for the money. Animals were shot when the weather was nice and the hunt was in the garbage dump because it makes no difference what condition or size the hide is they $3K for them all. The ultimate in stupidity.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Government paid $3000 for each and every one of them. Worse there are cubs and sows all killed for the money. Animals were shot when the weather was nice and the hunt was in the garbage dump because it makes no difference what condition or size the hide is they $3K for them all. The ultimate in stupidity.
Hard to believe the program didn't see this coming a mile away. Over pay for low quality fur so anyone can go out when the weather is nice and make some bank. Payouts should be based on commercial value of the hides. Only the government would pay top lot prices for DMG III goods.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:10 PM

The program was developed to get younger people off the couch and an incentive to do so. I believe they have set prices for everything and if it sells for more at auction the trapper keeps the extra. I wish we had that here.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:43 PM

What a fiasco, all those bears wasted. Pretty typical.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:33 AM

I have had quite a few come through the shop an the way they are prepped is terrible. The fleshing is generally good to very good but the faces on lots cannot be mounted same with the feet. Not all of them but quite a few. I have also got them with paint on the backs purple usually an it’s marked bears from the dump I am told.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:51 AM

Why can't they just wait for their auction cheque like everyone else?
Old 11-14-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
Why can't they just wait for their auction cheque like everyone else?
That wouldn't be fair...
Old 11-16-2021, 11:26 PM
AO Sponsor

Just had a badger come back from International. Skinned and put up by one of Southern Alberta's perceived VERY BEST OF THE BEST! Anyways

The badger pelt is stunning, hair and size like super but each knuckle above claw…

NAKED!!!!

Oh the joys!

Love the fur

Thinking I should colour the naked skin with a felt marker... would be an improvement! That naked skin makes me...
🤢

🤮

... it just don't look right without the iPhone

Oh crap… i still have to do an ATA ad for donna yet tonight

💩

Looks like it gonna be the short version!!

I think I'm tired of making ads... but oh, such a masterpiece earlier!!!

Oh ya.... my point... you just never know what you gonna get til after the tan is complete....

Woe is me and my my black hutterite wolf…

😢

Time gor a little hacking and sewing, and a little water and a little stretch… wil i be successful ? Or fail???

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...4FC319FFA.jpeg

Last edited by Marty S; 11-16-2021 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:07 AM
AO Sponsor

The other side not so good either….

When in doubt…

SALT THE CRAP
OUT OF THINGS