Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Brian Jean for Premier

Please...?
He had my vote for UCP leadership. It's really too bad he didn't win.
I always thought of him as well spoken and a critical thinker, which I believe his letter proves. The standard of leadership has really been lowered across all political spectrums lately, however with that said I don't think it's too late for Kenney to turn things around...
Old 02-08-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Heres a map for the Isolation South project from the CBC article.

https://www.atrumcoal.com/projects/elan-project/

I couldn’t find a map for Cabin Ridge but the ridge itself is about 6km ENE of Oldman Falls and the Beehive PRA.

This is awful news for one of the most beautiful parts of the planet.
I’m sure China took the news hard too.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:03 PM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
I’m sure China took the news hard too.
..... aaaand you used to be...?

Your planning on staying here how long...?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-17-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
..... aaaand you used to be...?

Your planning on staying here how long...?
Well...as it turns out, I guess longer than you - (user suspended)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:42 PM

The Pass has already been mining coal forever. An old AB law requires that producers set aside a certain small amount of coal for domestic consumption; possibly at cost of mining it. If they'd have a consumer's outlet like other places mining industrial coal in AB, they'd have my backing, especially for anthracite. If not, then not.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:28 AM

i don't have a huge problem with Coal mining in Alberta, as long as it follows regulations, provides Alberta jobs, and company follows rules layed out. the cancel culture and SJW warriors need to go to China and protest first otherwise a bit hypocritical in my opinion.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
i don't have a huge problem with Coal mining in Alberta, as long as it follows regulations, provides Alberta jobs, and company follows rules layed out. the cancel culture and SJW warriors need to go to China and protest first otherwise a bit hypocritical in my opinion.
The entire province at the government level could protest China and their environmental problems, by not letting our coal or energy in general go to them.

Why enable them to pollute? You know some world order will label Canada an enabler to their pollution and we'll get taxed even harder to pay the penalty.

BW
Old 02-18-2021, 10:32 AM

Why should we allow the headwaters of our drinking water supply to be polluted to produce a product we have no need of in Alberta. There is no safe way to open pit mine in headwaters areas. Just the rainfall runoff contaminates rivers and aquifers, even with the safest mining methods.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
And most Albertans are behind this ^. There seems to be a small vocal minority that are opposed, as per usual.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
And most Albertans are behind this ^. There seems to be a small vocal minority that are opposed, as per usual.

Actually, on that count you are wrong. Literally tens of thousands of Albertans emailed, phone or talked to their MLAs on this. That is why they reinstated the old coal policy and decided they needed to do consultation. Most Albertans are pro business, and pro development, as am I, but I am not willing to destroy irreplaceable water supplies for a few shekels. You can see in California exactly what that leads to.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Actually, on that count you are wrong. Literally tens of thousands of Albertans emailed, phone or talked to their MLAs on this. That is why they reinstated the old coal policy and decided they needed to do consultation. Most Albertans are pro business, and pro development, as am I, but I am not willing to destroy irreplaceable water supplies for a few shekels. You can see in California exactly what that leads to.
Also add in the proposed changes to the Oldman Water Order that will leave only 20% held for fish and the aquatic environment. This will have a huge impact on the headwaters, especially the tributaries up in that area. Kenney and Nixon, dumb and dumber, haven't a clue what they are doing. Alberta isn't open for business, it's for sale, and to the lowest bidders. What a disgrace they are.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
We’ll have to agree to disagree. There’s a silent majority out there (regardless of what CBC/CTV or other anti resource development media outlets thinks) that are (and we always will be) pro responsible development. See tracks comment above.

California does indeed have an excrement problem
Old 02-18-2021, 04:44 PM

You're poised to damage the southern East Slope forever. Your little job and life will come and go . . . the damage just keeps on giving. Look next door in the Elk Valley. LNG should be going to China. Cut down on their unfettered pollution. You can't 'fix' this once you start.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Why should we allow the headwaters of our drinking water supply to be polluted to produce a product we have no need of in Alberta. There is no safe way to open pit mine in headwaters areas. Just the rainfall runoff contaminates rivers and aquifers, even with the safest mining methods.
Quote:
Well said and I agree Dean2

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post
You're poised to damage the southern East Slope forever. Your little job and life will come and go . . . the damage just keeps on giving. Look next door in the Elk Valley. LNG should be going to China. Cut down on their unfettered pollution. You can't 'fix' this once you start.
Keep hoping for Rachel to win the next one. Most of us are sick of the green/leftist hyperbole. Your right on China though.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Keep hoping for Rachel to win the next one. Most of us are sick of the green/leftist hyperbole. Your right on China though.
So what you are saying is you don't want controls to prevent the pollution and fix the existing selenium issues from shuttered mines?

I think you will find many say they agree with development, IF the proper safeguards are in place. They don't trust the government to ensure the safeguards are there because of their proven failures in the very recent past. IE - removal of the previously existing selenium monitoring sites, and no actions to fix the proven issues, and definitely no action to permanently fix OR prevent these issues in the future. Selenium does destroy fisheries etc. and bioaccumulates. Is it wrong for people to want the streams and rivers in Alberta protected for future generations?
Old 02-18-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
So what you are saying is you don't want controls to prevent the pollution and fix the existing selenium issues from shuttered mines?

I think you will find many say they agree with development, IF the proper safeguards are in place. They don't trust the government to ensure the safeguards are there because of their proven failures in the very recent past. IE - removal of the previously existing selenium monitoring sites, and no actions to fix the proven issues, and definitely no action to permanently fix OR prevent these issues in the future. Selenium does destroy fisheries etc. and bioaccumulates. Is it wrong for people to want the streams and rivers in Alberta protected for future generations?
So what your really saying is we should shut down all mining and energy activities across Canada, period. Pitch it to China, let me know how that conversation goes. See how deflection works?
Old 02-19-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
So what your really saying is we should shut down all mining and energy activities across Canada, period. Pitch it to China, let me know how that conversation goes. See how deflection works?
Nope. Definitely not. But we do need to be taking responsibility for doing what we in Alberta always claim... doing resource extraction the most environmentally safe way possible. That isn't what the UPC have demonstrated so far with the cancelation of the selenium monitoring and inaction on cleanup. If we want to be considered world leaders in resource extraction, we need to practice what we preach.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Nope. Definitely not. But we do need to be taking responsibility for doing what we in Alberta always claim... doing resource extraction the most environmentally safe way possible. That isn't what the UPC have demonstrated so far with the cancelation of the selenium monitoring and inaction on cleanup. If we want to be considered world leaders in resource extraction, we need to practice what we preach.
So, cutting through the rhetoric, you support mining in Alberta “as long it follows regulations, provides Alberta jobs, and company follows rules layed out”.

I think most are in this camp and want to help provide a bit of responsible economic uplift in an area that’s been depressed for as long as I can remember. I think most can get onboard with that.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
So, cutting through the rhetoric, you support mining in Alberta “as long it follows regulations, provides Alberta jobs, and company follows rules layed out”.

I think most are in this camp and want to help provide a bit of responsible economic uplift in an area that’s been depressed for as long as I can remember. I think most can get onboard with that.
Then we need to just call coal mining what it is. It's a desperate act. There are no Ft. Mac booms coming, oil prices look flat forever unless there is a catastrophic event. There is a reason coal sat dormant for over 30 years. Nobody has been screaming all this time that "we need to get back to coal!" I feel for every single person that is being squeezed by these circumstances and that is why this is being considered, not because companies are smarter or more reliable than in the past.

So we're turning back to coal. Not because it suddenly a good idea again. Coal is not cool all of a sudden. But we're a bit desperate. Under those circumstances we should be very careful what we choose to do with our eastern slopes. The government setting aside thousands of acres up north is great, good for them, but it doesn't make up losing acres in our precious foot hills.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Yes, but the rules have to be real rules, and the companies have to be held accountable. This is where there has been issues in the past. If you'd read through my comments, you'd see I've worked resource extraction most of my life. It's the failures of the government that is the main issue, and through that allowing the companies to get away with things. When we have recent coal mine closures and the environmental monitoring and corrective actions aren't occuring, there is a trust failure in the government.

I should mention I'm not sure how long coking coal has a life given the work being done to use hydrogen instead. That is for someone with access to far more data than we have.

Last edited by Iron Brew; 02-19-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:35 PM

You really don't know what you have. Willing to throw the east slope under the bus. Dare to think the 'long game' . . . LNG. Sad and shortsighted.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:40 PM

So how many people that are against the open pit coal mining own or want to own electric vehicles? The lithium mining to produce batteries for those vehicles, is at least as destructive.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So how many people that are against the open pit coal mining own or want to own electric vehicles? The lithium mining to produce batteries for those vehicles, is at least as destructive.
Yeah but its not in my back yard
Old 02-19-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Yeah but its not in my back yard
Exactly! But somebody has to have it in their backyard.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
So we should do both? Mine for lithium, and mine for coal? Plus I would hope that our ability to recycle batteries gets better and better. Recycling coal?
Old 02-19-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
And Alberta is getting set to extract lithium from old oil wells. A win if they can get it going.

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...-and-gas-wells
Old 02-19-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think I will take this advice and quit responding to IRBO
Old 02-19-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I think I will take this advice and quit responding to IRBO
I find it really funny you used two of my quotes that weren’t in response to you at all, but that’s cool, it’s a public forum.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
And Alberta is getting set to extract lithium from old oil wells. A win if they can get it going.

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...-and-gas-wells
That is a big if. For now, we are stuck with mining lithium, for batteries that we don't have a good way to recycle.