Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2021, 11:20 PM

Default Open pit coal mines

Are we going to sit back and allow the upc to give away our mountains, headwaters, rivers to auzzie coal companies without a fight, any input? There doesn’t seem to be any discussion here on the forum. Our waters future is at stake.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:34 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=393587

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=393579
Old 01-29-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky51 View Post
Are we going to sit back and allow the upc to give away our mountains, headwaters, rivers to auzzie coal companies without a fight, any input? There doesn’t seem to be any discussion here on the forum. Our waters future is at stake.
Guaranteed most of the people who live down this way don't want you around.
Make sure when you are looking for permission to access private land for hunting or fishing you let the land owner know how you feel about coal mining.
Sure is a lot of no trespassing signs getting put up. I got mine out.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...on-coal-mining

Last edited by lannie; 01-29-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
GGeezz man do a search there are about 4 or 5 threads already going on Alberta coal mines

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Guaranteed most of the people who live down this way don't want you around.
Make sure when you are looking for permission to access private land for hunting or fishing you let the land owner know how you feel about coal mining.
Sure is a lot of no trespassing signs getting put up. I got mine out.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...on-coal-mining
I’m thinking a majority of the pass residents would like to see the mine go as it would be good for their economy.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:44 AM

There is enough threads on this topic
If this turns into a political bash thread it will be gone

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-29-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Why don't you go to the Chinese Gov't, take off your boot and slam it down on the table, tell them in no uncertain terms to shut down their coal burning industries. I'm sure they will put full stop on their operations and then tell the auzzies to stop importing any more Alberta coal. Then we will all be happy.
At the very least they will give you a permanent secure room at a resort for dissidents.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:46 AM

Old 01-29-2021, 12:55 PM

Bring on the coal mine. Might actually get a decent game population on the mine.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:24 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.5895835

Yeah - No trust for the UPC here...
Old 02-01-2021, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.5895835

Yeah - No trust for the UPC here...
Who needs water? 🙄
Old 02-01-2021, 05:02 PM

I fully support coal mines, I also believe we can extract coal, oil, gas and lumber in a responsible way.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterngather View Post
Who needs water? 🙄
The SW US and they'd like to get their hands on ours.

https://troymedia.com/business/selli.../#.YBiW4-gzbcs

Grizz
Old 02-01-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
I fully support coal mines, I also believe we can extract coal, oil, gas and lumber in a responsible way.
What is a 'responsible way' . . . ?
Old 02-01-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
How far away from your home? would you have one of these in your backyard?
Old 02-01-2021, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
I stare at the area out my front window, yes I would.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I have 3 around where I live, and am in one of the best hunting areas in AB
Old 02-01-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
It is in my back yard...
Old 02-01-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I have 3 around where I live, and am in one of the best hunting areas in AB

Where would sheep hunting be without the Luscar , near Cadomin or the Grand Cache mine ?

Grizz
Old 02-01-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I fully support as well and agree on responsible exploitation and full retribution post exploitation.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:20 PM

We can't protect the streams with current technology, nor expect that the mines will actually put environment before profit, hasn't happened, doesn't happen, won't happen. No mines.........
Old 02-01-2021, 09:25 PM
Banned

Start a thread
Then don’t comment on it again

Fake profile
Old 02-01-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
We can't protect the streams with current technology, nor expect that the mines will actually put environment before profit, hasn't happened, doesn't happen, won't happen. No mines.........
No mines, no steel, no vehicles or a million other things we've come to depend on. Humanity evolved from the stone Age to the Bronze Age, to the Iron [steel] Age. Should we go back to the Stone Age ?

Grizz
Old 02-01-2021, 11:05 PM

I think to many are blaming Kenny due to their hatred for him. They fail to understand that the NDP had their hands in these coal mines also along with lifting of the regs.
It was Kenny who finalized them.

I think they can be responsible to operate the coal mines. I also think the government could have been more forth coming on this plan. It seems to of been hidden behind a lot with very vague wording.
Eventually these mines will move forward. Its a matter of them doing it responsibly,
Old 02-02-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You are right. It can be done. Did you read the article though? Can be and will be are two different things. The Alberta Government is NOT dealing with the existing issues, so why let them create more?

They have cut the monitoring and letting companies avoid their responsibilities. This I don't support at all.

Last edited by Iron Brew; 02-02-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
You are right. It can be done. Did you read the article though? Can be and will be are two different things. The Alberta Government is NOT dealing with the existing issues, so why let them create more?

They have cut the monitoring and letting companies avoid their responsibilities. This I don't support at all.
I said nothing about the current policy’s. I also have a hard time reading the opinions that any of these NDP/Libral news outlet that are anti everything have to say.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I said nothing about the current policy’s. I also have a hard time reading the opinions that any of these NDP/Libral news outlet that are anti everything have to say.
Ah. But the current policies are also the ones any mine starting tomorrow would face. You may not like the source, BUT if JK wanted to defend these accusations it would be really easy. Let us see the data, tell us how much testing is being done, and how much was supposed to be done. The issue is the fixed costs for monitoring have been drastically cut (look at the budgets for those departments - very hard for people not actively in those department to determine where the cuts have been made and no, I don't know how much testing has been cut). If you cut fixed costs, you cut what those fixed costs monitor. If the government cannot prove they are dealing with the issues, they should not be allowed to potentially create new issues. Selenium is a big deal. Until they can prove they are taking the environmental concerns seriously, no way from me. And the Alberta government has a poor track record in my opinion, as shown by the number of orphan wells that we the taxpayer are likely to be on the hook for. So no, I don't trust them with the environment.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Ah. But the current policies are also the ones any mine starting tomorrow would face. You may not like the source, BUT if JK wanted to defend these accusations it would be really easy. Let us see the data, tell us how much testing is being done, and how much was supposed to be done. The issue is the fixed costs for monitoring have been drastically cut (look at the budgets for those departments - very hard for people not actively in those department to determine where the cuts have been made and no, I don't know how much testing has been cut). If you cut fixed costs, you cut what those fixed costs monitor. If the government cannot prove they are dealing with the issues, they should not be allowed to potentially create new issues. Selenium is a big deal. Until they can prove they are taking the environmental concerns seriously, no way from me. And the Alberta government has a poor track record in my opinion, as shown by the number of orphan wells that we the taxpayer are likely to be on the hook for. So no, I don't trust them with the environment.

All it would take is lessons learned from Teck in the Elk Valley... Monitor water quality with compressive programs and treat contaminated water. The proposed mines in the Pass are planning to do this by layering their blasted waste rocks in a certain way to treat water apparently. I want this project/all future mines to be safe for local communities and not affect water quality in the Oldman/South Sask watershed. Lots of agriculture, ranchers, wildlife, and people depend on that water and it needs clean. Other than that go freaking nuts and move some mountain.

Canada is so interesting.. we cant build natural resource projects in a country with nothing else. I feel bad for people who live in the Pass, they are supported by mines in BC with nothing locally to prop them up.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:

To be honest I have no idea who would be responsible for orphans wells but the federal government just throw 1.7 billion at it so they are taking some responsibility for it.
As far as BC goes last time I checked the Elk valley has world class fishing and elk/deer hunting... must be the water.
We also need to keep in mind that the teck elk valley coal was started back when policy’s were lacking. They are no where near what they used to be because of good policy.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
No mines, no steel, no vehicles or a million other things we've come to depend on. Humanity evolved from the stone Age to the Bronze Age, to the Iron [steel] Age. Should we go back to the Stone Age ?

Grizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post

Canada is so interesting.. we cant build natural resource projects in a country with nothing else. I feel bad for people who live in the Pass, they are supported by mines in BC with nothing locally to prop them up.
Most everyone wants and enjoys the modern conveniences that are offered to us today, as well as the non essentials. At the same time the "not in my backyard" mentality shines bright. I want it all, but want it all made somewhere else.