Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 08:11 PM

Bought this place 3 years ago, with a then 3 year old Samsung fridge. Everything was fine until I started to notice my food going fuzzy well before its time. Put in a thermometer, and sure enough it liked hovering around 10 degrees. Got an appliance repair guy to take a look at it - $400 repair. I asked what his thoughts were about fixing it. "I wouldn't bother. My mom's got one and I'm fixing something on it every other month.".

Having just bought my place and with a bunch of other more pressing expenses, I took the gamble for 1/4 the value of a new fridge.

That money would've been great the following year when I was buying the new fridge to replace it, after the temperature started to climb again.

This house is a Samsung-free zone. NEVER again. Unbelievable and unacceptable.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:18 PM

Default It's called planned obsolescence

They purposely discontinue making parts, so when they breakdown you have no choice but to buy a new one every few years.
Not sure I trust the appliance repair business. How much troubleshooting are the technicians trained to do? I'm thinking they are trained to replace parts and make their boss's money
Might cost a bit more in the beginning but appliance manufacturers could easily design and build machine that would last for decades and still be energy efficient. But that would not be good for business.