Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post

Not a death warrant but thug brought it on himself...Tired of this crap already!
Bingo! Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I watched the news coverage of the 'protests', and all I saw were liquor and retail stores being looted. Because nothing shouts out 'Justice' like stealing everything in sight.

It's really unfortunate what happened, I don't know all the details of it, just what has been put on the news which we can assume is biased or wrong or one sided. But what is going to happen and is happening is worse.
I don’t condone the rioting or violence at all but I think you can understand it to some degree. There’s a real long list of officers dodging accountability in the US and unless that situation gets addressed this kind of thing is not going to improve. Here’s an example, in 2017 the St Louis police had a back undercover officer go and record a protest from inside the crowd. He was grabbed and beaten so badly by three white officers that he’s had multiple surgeries since, including a spinal fusion. The last of those white officers was recently acquitted of the beating and also got a mistrial for the actions he took to cover up the incident.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rcover-protest

If officers can’t even be held accountable for beating one of their own so badly can’t you understand why people wouldn’t expect it when things like this happen? Why they would instead lash out? The historical lack of accountability is causing people to react even in cases where the the police did act more reasonably as well, like in Wisconsin last year. Again not something I would be in support of but I think I can understand the frustration.

This has been building for a long time but now that everyone has video camera in their pocket it’s documented so we’ve seen a sharp escalation. It’s going to take a while and some real reform for the situation to relax.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:33 PM

I know I am going to have to put on the flameproof underwear for this, but sending a little girl into a war zone and expecting her to be perfect all the time is a recipe for disaster. The old ideal that 'women officers are more able to de-escalate situations because men are less likely to take out anger on them'. doesn't work anymore. Trouble is this is not the 50's, and criminals just see a badge.
It makes as much sense as giving Joey Moss a stick and skates, thinking he is going to win the next cup for the Oilers.
You get the analogy.
Did she panic and was she thinking in the moment that she was going to be the next officer that people bitch about giving her a funeral procession?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-13-2021, 02:48 PM

You hit the nail on the head. I am not at all in favor of women cops and this is just another example of why they shouldn't be allowed. Ask any male cop you know how much he enjoys riding with a female partner. Flame me all you want.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:54 PM

I watched the video and if the first officer who was trying to put handcuffs on the guy would have done his job, none of this would have escalated to the extent it did. There is talk that she was a 26 year veteran and think she was mentoring.....not sure if I read that right.

Either way both her and the police captain resigned not that it will bring a life back...
Old 04-13-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
FELONY warrant for aggravated Robbery...and runs into his vehicle!

Check out his 2 videos flashing a firearm and smoking a blunt...

Great kid for society?

Not a death warrant but thug brought it on himself...Tired of this crap already!
There is no doubt that the suspect's behavior played a huge part in his death, but there is no way that a 26 year veteran officer should mistake her handgun for her taser. There is just no excuse for that to happen.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:07 PM

Maybe someone should start hosting a class in the USA, it would be really, really short.

Final exam, which you'd need to get 100% to pass, would be like this:

What should you do if pulled over by law enforcement?
A) Try to jump back in my car and drive away/ram them.
B) Make it look like I'm going for a gun.
C) Do exactly what they ask.
D) All of the above.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

it just should not have happened but it did.....we sit and type in our perfect worlds never to have made errors...

a good read...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/ho...rtan-dhp-feeds

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2021, 08:56 PM

I was going to reply directly to a couple comments from previous posters who basically said, "he had it coming", but I figure there's little point.

He really didn't. If you watch the video, the officer even says she accidentally shot him vs using her taser. This is but one of hundreds of similar incidents like this that have happened in the US in recent year. Having a warrant for your arrest and non-compliance isn't, nor should it be, a death sentence. The problem is systemic and that is one root of the civil unrest we are seeing in the US.

I truly pity someone who's outlook is as close minded and ignorant enough to say they deserved it, or dismiss the victim's death on that basis. Kind of twisted actually.

And I thought the virtue signalling from Ottawa was bad...
Old 04-13-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I know I am going to have to put on the flameproof underwear for this, but sending a little girl into a war zone and expecting her to be perfect all the time is a recipe for disaster. The old ideal that 'women officers are more able to de-escalate situations because men are less likely to take out anger on them'. doesn't work anymore. Trouble is this is not the 50's, and criminals just see a badge.
It makes as much sense as giving Joey Moss a stick and skates, thinking he is going to win the next cup for the Oilers.
You get the analogy.
Did she panic and was she thinking in the moment that she was going to be the next officer that people bitch about giving her a funeral procession?
One of my good friends is a cop, your views are very similar to most in the force he said.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I am not at all in favor of women cops and this is just another example of why they shouldn't be allowed. Ask any male cop you know how much he enjoys riding with a female partner. Flame me all you want.
Years ago my brother when he was in the RCMP was with a female partner doing a walk through a bar in Chilliwack, recognize a guy with warrants out on him, inform him he's under arrest, ask the guy to stand up and turn around to put the handcuffs on. Guy pulls a knife, they scuffle for a bit, brother gets him down with help from a bouncer who stepped in, they get the knife away and cuffed him. Looks around for his partner, she's nowhere to be found. Gets the guy outside to put him in the police car. It was then he found out where his partner went, she had ran out of the bar when the fight started and locked herself in the car crying, hysterically calling on the radio for backup. He refused to ever work with her again. Not sure what happened to her but she eventually quit
Old 04-13-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
I was going to reply directly to a couple comments from previous posters who basically said, "he had it coming", but I figure there's little point.

He really didn't. If you watch the video, the officer even says she accidentally shot him vs using her taser. This is but one of hundreds of similar incidents like this that have happened in the US in recent year. Having a warrant for your arrest and non-compliance isn't, nor should it be, a death sentence. The problem is systemic and that is one root of the civil unrest we are seeing in the US.

I truly pity someone who's outlook is as close minded and ignorant enough to say they deserved it, or dismiss the victim's death on that basis. Kind of twisted actually.

And I thought the virtue signalling from Ottawa was bad...
Curious. What part of, when a police officer tells you to do some thing, you'd better do it, do you have a problem with ?

Grizz
Old 04-13-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
One of my good friends is a cop, your views are very similar to most in the force he said.
Truth is I am still extremely annoyed at the RCMP. I applied in 1985. I was 18 and 6'5. I was young and strong, taking karate and criminology, had a clean record and good sensibility.

I was not a woman. I was not a minority. I was not native. That's all they wanted. I applied to LAPD and Texas Rangers and was accepted to both. I chose my current career instead of going south.
The system failed me and they continue to fail all of us over stupid liberal ideals.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-13-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I'm pretty much always in favor of the cops on these things but this one looks pretty bad. I can't say for sure what I would have done, I've never been in that situation. On the other hand, trying to drive away from cops who are trying to apprehend you, isn't a good idea.

Time for looting and riots to prove..... What does the looting prove again?
Most intellectual post in this thread so far!

Who here has been in THAT situation?
Who here has been in any situation where someone is resisting arrest?
Who here has been in policing post George Floyd in Minneapolis?
Who here has been in policing post George Floyd period?
Who here has been in an agency where turn over is so high because administration doesn’t support street cops?
Who here has worked for an agency where officers are quitting are on medical leave or just not showing up because of all the stress of policing on a city that’s been in a continual riot for the past year and even if justified in whatever they do get NO DUE PROCESS and are pronounced guilty by the media and instantly have the mayor governor and every media outlet demand their head on a silver platter?
Who here has been in any job where you are forced to make a split second life or death decision where you will be judged by those who 1, have the benefit of 20/20 hind site from the safety of their home/office 2, have never been in that situation but are “experts” in how you should do your job 3, have days and months to pick apart your decision?

I would bet 99.9% can’t say yes to any of those!

It truly is unfortunate and a shame but I highly doubt that office woke up and said, I’m gunna kill someone today just because! Yes mistakes were made but were all human and to er is human. Obviously there’s an issue but why did it happen? Training issue? Over work issue? Race issue? Who knows but that needs to be determined. Too many assumptions being made by those who don’t have a clue what they’re taking about because they’re quarter back gun experts!

In the mean time if you’ve never done the job take a breath and imagine if you screwed up big at your job, like really big and someone got hurt/killed. How would you want to be treated by the public and media because I doubt it would be the way your treating this officer. Oh and if a cop tells you to do something just do it. Almost all of these situations occur after someone does not listen to what their being told. I don’t see very many incidents where someone is shot/killed for obeying. It’s when they resist, fight or argue after being told to do something.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post

Who here has been in an agency where turn over is so high because administration doesn’t support street cops?
Who here has worked for an agency where officers are quitting are on medical leave or just not showing up because of all the stress of policing on a city that’s been in a continual riot for the past year and even if justified in whatever they do get NO DUE PROCESS and are pronounced guilty by the media and instantly have the mayor governor and every media outlet demand their head on a silver platter?
Who here has been in any job where you are forced to make a split second life or death decision where you will be judged by those who 1, have the benefit of 20/20 hind site from the safety of their home/office 2, have never been in that situation but are “experts” in how you should do your job 3, have days and months to pick apart your decision?

It truly is unfortunate and a shame but I highly doubt that office woke up and said, I’m gunna kill someone today just because! Yes mistakes were made but were all human and to er is human. Obviously there’s an issue but why did it happen? Training issue? Over work issue? Race issue? Who knows but that needs to be determined. Too many assumptions being made by those who don’t have a clue what they’re taking about because they’re quarter back gun experts!

In the mean time if you’ve never done the job take a breath and imagine if you screwed up big at your job, like really big and someone got hurt/killed. How would you want to be treated by the public and media because I doubt it would be the way your treating this officer. Oh and if a cop tells you to do something just do it. Almost all of these situations occur after someone does not listen to what their being told. I don’t see very many incidents where someone is shot/killed for obeying. It’s when they resist, fight or argue after being told to do something.
well said and thank you!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-14-2021, 07:23 AM

Default Thank you for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post

In the mean time if you’ve never done the job take a breath and imagine if you screwed up big at your job, like really big and someone got hurt/killed. How would you want to be treated by the public and media because I doubt it would be the way your treating this officer. Oh and if a cop tells you to do something just do it. Almost all of these situations occur after someone does not listen to what their being told. I don’t see very many incidents where someone is
shot/killed for obeying. It’s when they resist, fight or argue after being told to do something.

Best post on the thread.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Curious. What part of, when a police officer tells you to do some thing, you'd better do it, do you have a problem with ?

Grizz
I find this post/comment very ironic, considering it is on a message board where we post daily about our rights and freedoms being infringed by overstepping provincial and federal jurisdictions and entities.

You can't tell me you don't see the conflict that is perpetuated daily on the basis of race, moreso in the US, but in Canada as well. I've seen discrimination on the basis of race on AO posts before.

What do you think the likelihood of him getting shot would be if, if the exact same scenario unfolded, but he was a 20 year old young white male? Or female for that matter? Honestly?

I don't have a problem doing what I'm told by a police officer. I have a problem with being shot with a pistol if I don't comply. I bet you 10/10 times, if I was in that driver's seat, I wouldn't of suffered the same fate as that young man solely on the basis that I am white.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:22 AM

Police have always had a tough job. Even harder now with the sense of entitlement held by many in society, on both sides of the border, that they do not have to respond to directives given by a badged officer. I think Grizz had it right - the kid would still be alive had he followed directions from the start. Either way, the situation was at the point where the officer was beyond writing a ticket.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You get the analogy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Sad gentlemen...
Old 04-14-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefarmer View Post
Sad gentlemen...
As Metallica says: 'Sad...but true'

Video showing female cop vulnerabilities.
(comments interesting also)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtjLtz6yaaU
Old 04-14-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
I find this post/comment very ironic, considering it is on a message board where we post daily about our rights and freedoms being infringed by overstepping provincial and federal jurisdictions and entities.

You can't tell me you don't see the conflict that is perpetuated daily on the basis of race, moreso in the US, but in Canada as well. I've seen discrimination on the basis of race on AO posts before.

What do you think the likelihood of him getting shot would be if, if the exact same scenario unfolded, but he was a 20 year old young white male? Or female for that matter? Honestly?

I don't have a problem doing what I'm told by a police officer. I have a problem with being shot with a pistol if I don't comply. I bet you 10/10 times, if I was in that driver's seat, I wouldn't of suffered the same fate as that young man solely on the basis that I am white.
i disagree do as your told and this would not have happened black or white
Old 04-14-2021, 09:24 AM

So does anyone think that the suspect may have reacted differently, if the officer had told him that she was going to shoot him, rather than taser him?
Old 04-14-2021, 09:29 AM

i do not think it matters ether way you could run from the tazer but then you might get the gun very risky
Old 04-14-2021, 09:37 AM

In the heat of the moment the officer made a tragic mistake in the video she's yelling taser not realizing she's holding her Glock.

A clip of Officer Potter’s body camera video released by the Brooklyn Center Police Department shows the police trying to handcuff Mr. Wright before he lurches suddenly back into his car. The video then shows Officer Potter’s arm aiming a weapon as her voice shouts “Taser! Taser! Taser!” on the audio.

She fires one round, Mr. Wright groans in pain and Officer Potter can then be heard to cry, “Holy ****, I just shot him.”

Brooklyn Center Police Department protocol dictates that officers wear their guns on their dominant side and Tasers on the opposite side of their bodies, to reduce the risk that they will confuse the two weapons.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...taser-gun.html
Old 04-14-2021, 09:57 AM

Each on the same hip everyday and to mix them up in the heat of the moment is pretty big.
Perhaps she needs to be re evaluated on how she handles high pressure situations. I’m sure she will.
A bad mistake none the less.
However there is no room for mistakes when firearms are involved.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
As Metallica says: 'Sad...but true'

Video showing female cop vulnerabilities.
(comments interesting also)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtjLtz6yaaU
Gender based employment based on strengths will not fair well for you guys
Old 04-14-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
i disagree do as your told and this would not have happened black or white
Did you see the video of the two police officers pointing their pistols at a US Army Lieutenant (in uniform) who they stopped because they didn't see the new vehicle registration sticker on his back window? He had both arms out the window because he was scared of the cops. They threatened him, aimed their pistols at him and pepper sprayed him.

Do you really think that this would have happened to a white guy, especially if he was wearing a suit and tie?

I agree that the case in question in this thread might be an unfortunate mistake. However, it's easy to see why people of colour are so upset.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:06 AM

It happens regularly, but because it doesn't meet the activist agenda, goes to the bottom of the third page.

Grizz
Old 04-14-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Yah nothing says BLM better then running out of a store you and your thug buddies torched with a 70" flat screen on your shoulder.
I figure they are just stocking up for the 3rd and 4th wave.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Did you see the video of the two police officers pointing their pistols at a US Army Lieutenant (in uniform) who they stopped because they didn't see the new vehicle registration sticker on his back window? He had both arms out the window because he was scared of the cops. They threatened him, aimed their pistols at him and pepper sprayed him.

Do you really think that this would have happened to a white guy, especially if he was wearing a suit and tie?

I agree that the case in question in this thread might be an unfortunate mistake. However, it's easy to see why people of colour are so upset.
A good take on the entirety of the situation..

Cop Speaks Out About Army Lieutenant Nazario's Case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7qtzLeWn4g
Closed Thread