Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-10-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Well, my old hunting friends would just set up mouse traps. Snap, snap, snap...

One trip, a skunk would come in every day to clean out the mouse traps. No sudden movements until he was done and gone.
Haha, probably didn't keep you up at night

You set them up outside or inside the tent?
Old 04-10-2021, 08:41 AM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 View Post
What I like to do is take a roll of bubble wrap insulation the silver stuff that’s usally 4 ft tall we wrap it along the walls on the inside of tent seems to help reflect an retain the heat from the stove
And putting it on the floor by the door can be entertaining when your wife goes out to pee at night !

I color coded my frame joints with different color paints to make assembly easy for anyone to set it up. Green pole end to green joint, red pole end to red joint...
Old 04-10-2021, 08:53 AM

Stack some wood or something on the inside flap all the way around the floor so a skunk doesn't come in. Its alot easier for them to get in than out.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:56 PM

Lots of great tips guys...learned from years of fine tuning to get things as comfortable as possible. Here are two more.

1. If you put cardboard around the sides (the height of the walls), your tent will stay significantly warmer. If you have a door that doesn't seal super well, have a 3 foot high piece of cardboard for that as well.

2. Put your stove on a piece of 3/4" plywood that is just larger than the stove. Easy to make the stove level and stable that way....but be sure to put a piece of tin over the wood to reflect the heat back into the tent.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:00 PM

If you have a screen on your stove pipe it will plug up every 2 or 3 days. Its a pain but one needs to keep that screen clean. As well make sure your stove pipes are set up such that the creosote runs back into the stove. If creosote runs on your roof it will make a terrible mess that you can't clean up. As well keep a big bowl of water on top of your stove otherwise the air gets too dry. Bonus is hot water to clean up if it didn't all evaporate.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:35 PM

Keep feeding your hunting partners beer before bed. They will then take turns stoking the fire throughout the night
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 04-11-2021, 09:34 AM

Invest in a decent tarp for a fly and definitely get an internal frame. If you can get a tarp that is a few feet wider than the tent you can overhang it for more rain-proof storage.

I prefer the stove pipe go straight out the top, so if you buy yourself a silicone stove ring you can stitch it right to the fly and your pipe will go through both layers.

Home Depot has evestrough spikes for roughly $1 each. Add a washer and they work well as tent pegs.

ALWAYS carry a roll of paracord for misc tie up jobs and for anchoring your fly. Princess Auto always puts it on sale. The red stuff gets tripped over less.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
Keep feeding your hunting partners beer before bed. They will then take turns stoking the fire throughout the night
This is brilliant!
Old 04-12-2021, 05:41 PM

been doing this for 20 years, some have been previously mentioned:
  • internal frame
  • have a fly
  • vapour barrier for the ground with outdoor carpet over top
  • add 2 Inches of sand to your stove
  • use 12 volt lights strung on the inside drying pole and keep the 12-volt battery on the outside and have a switch in line that you can reach from your cot
  • keep the door closed when placing on the frame and staking it down
  • open and roll up the chimney flap before placing it on the frame
  • always dry when finished
Old 04-12-2021, 06:04 PM

have a fly.

It also keeps chimney sparks from burning a hole in your roof.

Grizz
Old 04-13-2021, 10:27 AM

On another post, you will now need to pay a $30 camp fee to set up your new tent in Alberta Foothills west of highway 22 and 43.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy The Kid View Post
Some good info man, thanks a lot. I like the lumber yard tarp idea
I would add. You can get used insulayed tarps cheap on Kijiji. Like really cheap. I bought 3 insulated tarps for 10$ a piece a couple years ago. Also, I would purchase a thurmo electric fan for on top of the stove. I have an original expensive one and a coiple years ago also purchased a cheaper one off of Amazon. I use it alll the time for the wall tent and even ice fishing. They are great for cold spots in the tent. I've done tons of tips and tricks. Even went as far as building take down shelving units and hangers for clothing. long story short. I now have two tents. My old 14*16 Nordic tent is now the kitchen mess tent.

My main go to tent is know a tee pee bell tent. I can't say enough about the bell tent. Better in every way, hands down. I've made alot of believers out of the nay sayers when they hear it's a China made tent. 16' diameter, one pole to set up, which collapses for easy transport, one man can do it slowly and still be done under 30 mins without breaking a sweat, it takes the storms like no one business, built in removable rubber floor, windows with big screen, you name it, bright inside, very roomy, can use stove in middle or along wall, The best part, it was under 800$ shipped. 4 guys pitched in on it and it's seen more than 30 trips is 4 years.

For a stove a stove I use the h45 military heater. Can be used with Diesel or wood. If I have really cold trips and a couple people diesel can be affordable and you always have a hot tent. But I must admit I usually use it with wood because of the price of diesel and the large capacity of the stove allows for you to burn all night without having to get up and Stoke the fire or add logs. That stove was 100$ on Kijiji US. Shipped to a friend in the states then brought across the boarder a season later just to save of cost.

Either way you go, you will enjoy your time and always be finding better and newer ways of doing things.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:57 AM

Default Welder's blanket

I purchased a welder's blanket from Princess auto to put under my airtight stove this year. That should prevent burn holes and possible disaster.