Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 08:34 AM

Default Federal Parks Campsite Booking System

This morning, when logging in to book camping for the year, I find out that they created a randomized queue for Federal Campsite bookings.

I see here that it'll be about an hour until I can book. I'm used to being in and done within ten minutes or so.

For some people, they just aren't able to adapt their schedules on the fly like that.

Not thrilled.

Apparently it's an attempt to make the booking process "fair and equitable". Oh well.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:03 AM

I agree
Im not even booking camp sites this year.
If its like last year i don’t want to be near it people that can’t pull big trailers backing into trees and i even seen one back into another camper.
Im self contained ill still to the bush for now. Then j can scout for hunting season.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I agree
Im not even booking camp sites this year.
If its like last year i don’t want to be near it people that can’t pull big trailers backing into trees and i even seen one back into another camper.
Im self contained ill still to the bush for now. Then j can scout for hunting season.
For sure, that's definitely an option. Have to pay for bush camping now anyhow.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
This morning, when logging in to book camping for the year, I find out that they created a randomized queue for Federal Campsite bookings.

I see here that it'll be about an hour until I can book. I'm used to being in and done within ten minutes or so.

For some people, they just aren't able to adapt their schedules on the fly like that.

Not thrilled.

Apparently it's an attempt to make the booking process "fair and equitable". Oh well.
When you say a randomized queue, is it like last year where anyone online by 8am gets a random spot in line and they tell you when you'll be able to get on? I'm going to be booking some backcountry on Friday.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
When you say a randomized queue, is it like last year where anyone online by 8am gets a random spot in line and they tell you when you'll be able to get on? I'm going to be booking some backcountry on Friday.
Yup. There was a constant 30,000 to 50,000 people in the queue all day. As soon as you paid for your spots you were kicked to the back of the line.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:20 AM

On Monday at 8:45 I was 45,000 in line, at 4:45pm I got in. Very slim pickings in banff at that point.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
On Monday at 8:45 I was 45,000 in line, at 4:45pm I got in. Very slim pickings in banff at that point.
Ouch! I was 24000-ish in line at 8:00 AM, took over three hours to get my turn to book. By then there was nothing left at the place where I wanted to book.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Ouch! I was 24000-ish in line at 8:00 AM, took over three hours to get my turn to book. By then there was nothing left at the place where I wanted to book.
Oh well, we’re going to try selling our motor in august so if it sells maybe it’ll be a good thing we don’t have a camp site. I think we’re going to do an air bnb in Calgary and day trip into banff with the car, might actually be cheaper and able to do more with out driving a motorhome around.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:37 PM

I did 4.5 hours on Friday for Jasper in the summer, no luck
Another 4.5 hours on Monday for Rampart....nothing,

So now onto plan B

Cheers

SS
Old 04-14-2021, 08:11 PM

On an RV forum I monitor, I see that Americans are able, and willing to book Canadian National Parks campsites! I expect there'll be a whole lot of cancellations!
Old 04-15-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
On an RV forum I monitor, I see that Americans are able, and willing to book Canadian National Parks campsites! I expect there'll be a whole lot of cancellations!
Considering the massive increase in bookings and backlog for Alberta camping spots the last couple years, it's pretty frustrating that Americans are getting camping spots before Albertan's that live and work here. Another Alberta Advantage.....?? Lol
Hearing this, I don't think we'll bother booking anything like years previous.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Considering the massive increase in bookings and backlog for Alberta camping spots the last couple years, it's pretty frustrating that Americans are getting camping spots before Albertan's that live and work here. Another Alberta Advantage.....?? Lol
Hearing this, I don't think we'll bother booking anything like years previous.
I don't know what the story is with non-residents booking provincial sites. I was speaking to federal, National parks - not controlled by Alberta.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I don't know what the story is with non-residents booking provincial sites. I was speaking to federal, National parks - not controlled by Alberta.
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying Thumper.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:57 AM

The demand has overwhelmed supply,
Record numbers of RV's are being sold driving prices to record levels everybody's going RVing till they find out there's nowhere to go.

Driving the open road and pulling into any place without a reservation (even Banff) are gone I really miss those days.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:16 PM

Seems like a real good time to buy some flat land near Jasper and Banff, gravel a narrow road and pads and put in some no services camping spots. Bet you could stay full all summer, rent for big bucks and spend next to nothing except gravel. My bet is it will be this way for quite some years to come.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:47 PM

i am just in the works of building a 40 site camp ground . It is a lot of work but with the way camping is going it is going to be worth the work
Old 04-16-2021, 04:58 PM

It was pretty brutal for backcountry sites sites today also.

But I got my first choice backcountry trip booked. Then again it’s in a remote area that requires random permit and a phone call to the Parks office. As for booking online for my second trip... I think it will be SOL.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:45 PM

Backcountry was brutal for me and people that I know where trying
We didn’t get anything
Old 04-16-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
It was pretty brutal for backcountry sites sites today also.

But I got my first choice backcountry trip booked. Then again it’s in a remote area that requires random permit and a phone call to the Parks office. As for booking online for my second trip... I think it will be SOL.
Well got my second choice for my second backpacking trip. Better luck away from common classic Rockies routes. Floe Lake, prime Skoki, O’Hara etc all booked up for whole summer already it seems...
Old 04-17-2021, 07:45 AM

I was online at 7:55 am and tried for 5 hours to book at Maligne Lake with no luck.

I used the comment button on the reservation website to express my frustration and received an automated reply, which I forwarded to my MP with some additional comments.

Tried again last night and there was no availability.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:07 AM

Backcountry booking was brutal yesterday, website kept freezing. I went back on in the evening and was fortunate enough to get both bookings I wanted, but with fewer sites at one. Definitely a headache though, hopefully the system works better next year.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:42 AM

Federal back country booking system is a complete gong show.
Why they went to a system of booking the ENTIRE summer on one day is beyond me.
When they had the '' book 3 months prior to your date'' system you at least had a chance of getting thru.
We were always able to get what we wanted.
This year, ones that seemed to have the best luck were calling in on the phone line.
After 170 some calls they got their bookings.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Federal back country booking system is a complete gong show.
Why they went to a system of booking the ENTIRE summer on one day is beyond me.
When they had the '' book 3 months prior to your date'' system you at least had a chance of getting thru.
We were always able to get what we wanted.
This year, ones that seemed to have the best luck were calling in on the phone line.
After 170 some calls they got their bookings.
Agree. Should be a rolling 3 monthes or so like provincial.

Both backpacking trips I booked ended up being from phone calls.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:25 PM

Tried to book back country yesterday, I called in prior to 8 and was # 2000 in line, my kid, trying to book the same trip was #4000. I got in in about 20 minutes and then spent the next 3 hours trying to book sites, between the website freezing, sites showing booked, then open, and having all my selections reset because of time out issues I never did get anything booked. My kid was on the site for 7 hours trying to book backcountry, ended up with nothing.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
Agree. Should be a rolling 3 monthes or so like provincial.

Both backpacking trips I booked ended up being from phone calls.
Manitoba has gone to this same system as the feds, I hope our province doesn’t “upgrade” next
Old 04-18-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Seems like a real good time to buy some flat land near Jasper and Banff, gravel a narrow road and pads and put in some no services camping spots. Bet you could stay full all summer, rent for big bucks and spend next to nothing except gravel. My bet is it will be this way for quite some years to come.
Rafter 6 Ranch outside of Banff National Park has done this - no services 'campground'. Located between the Stoney reserve and Canmore, off Highway 1. http://www.raftersix.com/rv-trailer-tent-camping.html
Old 04-18-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Rafter 6 Ranch outside of Banff National Park has done this - no services 'campground'. Located between the Stoney reserve and Canmore, off Highway 1. http://www.raftersix.com/rv-trailer-tent-camping.html

I stayed at the cabins there a few years back. Really enjoyed the place, trail rides etc. That would be a great place to put in stalls, but they are a ways off the highway so would need a way to let travellers know where they are. Kind of surprised more guys aren't doing this.