Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-10-2021, 04:46 PM

Default Varmint cartridge rifle?

Thanks for those that gave advice on my first post asking about Varmint cartridges.
All good advice.

I'm leaning towards. 223 for many reasons. Mostly because I have enough powder for two life times for it.
2nd is swaged prepared brass on hand.

My new question is what rifle have you had good results with?

My thoughts are....needs to be bolt action and bull barrel.

I'm leaning towards cz.
Any other recommendations?

Cheers and thanks

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 04-10-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
Thanks for those that gave advice on my first post asking about Varmint cartridges.
All good advice.

I'm leaning towards. 223 for many reasons. Mostly because I have enough powder for two life times for it.

I'm leaning towards cz.

Cheers and thanks
Tikka Varmint.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-10-2021, 07:49 PM

I have a early 80s Remington bdl varmint special
It shoots everything i have fed it including bulk fmj into tiny groups
Beautiful rifle
Bought it used(but doesn’t look like it had ever been shot)
$800 is what i paid for it.
Looked at lots but decided i needed this one.
Now i want all the calibers in the bdl varmint line
Old 04-11-2021, 09:06 AM

Default Varmit gun

I really like the tikka rifles and have the 204 caliber It's faster and than the 223 and its easier to stay on target in the reticle A little quieter I use a 40 gr Vmax Hornady Love the small pencil hole and less damage on the fur
Old 04-11-2021, 09:14 AM

There’s no right or wrong in any choice anyone makes, it’s situation dependant to some degree, it’s also driven by personal preferences, derived by how you’re built, and what you are used to.

You’re in fine shape by the sounds of it.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-11-2021, 09:14 AM

Default Tikka

I have a tikka t3 varmint in 223 which has been very accurate for me with nosler 50gr BTs or hornady 53gr vmax. Varget and benchmark.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:50 AM

Savage model 12 with the laminated stock. NOT a light rifle. Never had one yet that wouldn't shoot .2 and they come with a 1:8 twist so you can shoot fairly heavy bullets if you want to target shoot at long distance. Despite the fast twist they still shoot 40 grain Vmax just great.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:52 AM

I have had Cooper Remington, CZ, Tikka , and Sako factory rifles, for the price, it's hard to beat Tikka, good barrels and triggers, and very good accuracy.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:37 AM

Just comes down to what you want to budget into the piece and if your priorities are more form or function.

I’ve been VERY happy with my Savage 16 in .223 its my go to varmint rifle and rides with me in a lot of rough conditions. Stainless/ synthetic combination.

I have a lot more expensive rifles, a lot prettier rifles but for the price point that gun is one of my favourites.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have had Cooper Remington, CZ, Tikka , and Sako factory rifles, for the price, it's hard to beat Tikka, good barrels and triggers, and very good accuracy.

I think if sako or tikka appears ata good price I'll buy it. However should a cz luz be found first its sold.

Most of my rifles are sako. They never disappoint.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 04-11-2021, 03:33 PM

I have 2 .223's, a Win. M70 Ranger w/ 22" barrel that groups Calhoon 50gr DHP's and Speer 52 HP's into 3/8" w/ W748 for 3 shots, and only 3. With the sporter barrel it heats up a fair bit after 3 and the group opens up accordingly. The barrel needs to cool down completely to get back to the 3/8" group. MY CZ 527 MTR on the other hand is a different story. Not a bull barrel but what I would call a heavy varmint barrel, does quit a bit better w/ 5/16" (.31) 3 shot group using CFE 223 and Speer 52 HP (my favourite varmint bullet, even in my 220 Swift and 220 AI). I just replaced the CZ's trigger with a Timney late last fall. Still working on load development. IMHO, if you can find a MTR in .223 you won't be short changed.
Regards,
Old 04-11-2021, 05:16 PM

Default Due diligence with CZ

There are countless CZ owners out there that rave about their CZ rifles. So they definitely must have at least a few things going for them. Personally, I question the CZ brand, cuz I have one I bought new, and it’s a major dud. And I’ve read about a couple others that are less than satisfied.

CZ527 in 17Hornet. When I got it it fed very poorly. Put big gouges into the brass. Ejected poorly. The mag is punched steel and none of the edges are finished. Took a few hours of filing and sanding so it’s useable now.
Bolt feels like it rides in gravel.
Shoots really consistent - everything between 1.5” - 2” moa
Until you load it to .010 off the lands and then it’s around .5” and then you can’t use the mag cuz the round is too long. And you have to hold your mouth just right to drop one in there.
Sent it back for warranty, took 6 months and it came back with a note that said “in spec.” Nothing was changed at all.
Excellent trigger, actually easy to adjust once you figure it out. It’s only good feature, oh, except it’s really pretty to look at.

So if you’re contemplating buying one, make sure you shoot it first, make sure it’s one of the good ones.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:53 AM

There are so many good rifles nowadays just go with what fits you best. I've had excellent results with browning, remington, and tikka. I've got likes and dislikes with all of them but they all shoot better than I can
Old 04-12-2021, 10:08 AM

Another vote for savage. Not the prettiest but accurate as can be!
Old 04-12-2021, 10:23 AM

I have a Tikka T3 lite in 223 with the sporter weight 8” twist barrel. It’s ridiculously accurate with both light and heavy bullets. It’s also nice to carry...however it will heat up a little sooner than a heavy barrel. Just add a trigger spring and you are golden.

Depending upon how you plan to use your rifle, a lightweight may be more suitable than a 10-12 lb rifle.

Last edited by brewster29; 04-12-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:28 AM

Default Rifle

My friend shoots a 700 tac aac i believe. I have had the savage 10tr and still have a rem 783 hb in a chassis. Not one shot a ton better than the other, and they all put holes nicely together.
You will do fine!
Old 04-12-2021, 01:03 PM

I could rattle-off the reasons for why I like what I like...but I'll cut to the chase.

If I was setting-out to buy a .223 today, it would be a Tikka CTR. I've shot one belonging to my buddy, 2 different factory loads shot cloverleaf groups @ 100 yards, no trigger adjustment...factory everything. (70gr. +, don't remember) I'd say "Tikka Varmint", as my main varmint gun IS A Tikka Varmint in 204 Ruger...but I have that model already. Would definitely be a close second for me if I couldn't find a CTR.

I've always found .223 to be a more forgiving caliber to load for than .204, and every bit as capable. 204 is a little flatter shooting/faster, but that doesn't mean anything on the size of farms I shoot on, or on what I'm shooting at.

My second choice (if budget was a concern) would be the Savage 10 (1:9) I sold to finance the Tikka. lol Shot exceptionally well with 55gr. V-Max, but I had great accuracy with 53gr. as well. I have a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet, and while it might be the prettiest rifle I own, the shooting experience with the Tikka is just better, in lots of ways. I love my CZ, but CZ 527s are a bit clunky compared to the Tikka, just feels allot less refined.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:52 PM

My son and I are both shooting Savage.

Currently have a Savage model 25 Lightweight Varminter in .204 Ruger that I am still working up loads for, but has shown a real fondness for the heavier 20 cal pills.

My favorite is the Savage Model 12 BTCSS in 22-250. It's a real treat to take to the gopher patch. Gets a little routine at anything under 300 yds, but real satisfying whenever I get a chance to stretch its legs beyond the 400+ yd mark. Currently have 3 loads for it that consistently run 0.25 to 0.40".

My son has the Savage Model 12 BTCSS in .223. An absolute tack driver. Must say that it didn't start out that way though. Long story short, turns out it had a bad barrel on it. Savage's warranty took care of that, changed out the barrel and all is well now. 1:9 twist. Currently using Sierra 52gr. & Nosler 60gr., both over Benchmark.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:31 PM

Default 223 rifle

Consider Howa as well. They shoot
Vance
Old 04-19-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
All good advice.

I'm leaning towards cz.

Cheers and thanks
Lots of used remingtons around that were excellent HB rifles
Old 04-19-2021, 07:20 AM

I have always devided varmint rifles into two different categories, walking varminter and long range stand hunting varminter .
My favorite for many years for closer calling and walking around is a light Anschutz 54 in .222 Remington although I have used many.
For stand hunting I often used a Savage BT112 in .223 although I also used Rugers and Highwalls in everything from .223 to 220 Swift, 6mm International and even 30p mag!
Weight was not a consideration for the stand rifles but extreme accuracy past 500 meters was .

Cat
Old 04-19-2021, 10:12 AM

For walking and calling I have a Kimber Montana .223. Very accurate, great trigger, 5#6oz for the rifle..around 6#s with a Leupold 2.5-8X B&C. Not chambered any longer.

For a heavier single shot I have a Cooper .204 Ruger. VERY accurate and a pound and half heavier than the Kimber.

For less money a CZ 527 would be a fine rifle and likely my choice. Tikka would be in the mix as well.